IGNORED

Refreshing!

Davefevs

Only watched the 1st half. Thought we were totally dominant for about 30 mins & if anything complacency crept in & our passing got sloppy.  Clearly we're a work in progress but I'd be surprised if people can't see that we're improving.  Another assist for Semenyo & a goal for AW, they will both be on for some impressive stats at the end of the season if they continue in this form.

• Like 7

Thought Vyner was decent tbh.

The biggest positive for me tonight. There’s genuine hope!

Hope for a better future after enduring 4+ years of absolute dross. As Nige would say we are work in progress, but we have some excellent individual young talent and have the makings of a very good side. 

Can I say it????? Yep, I can actually see the an IDENTITY developing, and an attractive one as well. Bravo. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That we can play an 18 and 20 year old in midfield against a physically imposing and heavy running Luton and we control a lot of the game tonight.  Credit to HNM and Scott, they did really well in there tonight.

Another glimpse of what Williams can bring though in his 15 minute cameo too.  Need to take it easy with him though.

Thought Vyner had a good game too.  His tenacity against their strike pair resulted in lots of balls win back, often with the two youngsters nipping the loose ball away.

I think Weimann just mistimed his header, turned his head just too early.  Angle virtually impossible for Wells, he wasn’t heading it across for Nahki, he was trying to score.

O’Dowda good first half too, as did Dasilva, who generally had a tidy game.

We played well for large parts . I was a bit disappointed with O’dowda’s final ball first half & our play in the last third in general. Definitely on the up though. Goes to show we’ve moved forward quite a bit . I was really frustrated with losing that game for a while 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

The team is starting to take shape for me: just a few weaker links to iron out: O’Dowda, Vyner and I’m sorry to say I’m not entirely convinced by Max. 

Yep but just not sure we can iron them out this season. O’Dowda is our best option down the left for now. Vyner think has been exposed by the sheer amount of minutes he has had(don’t think that was the plan starting the season). Maybe Klose sorts that a bit if it happens. 

Agree though, the team is taking shape. The crazy thing is, it is taking shape without any of the new signings. Atkinson and Tanner will be pivotal pieces going forward. King, Simpson and James already feel a bit of a waste halfway through. I know they bring more than just on the pitch but that probably isn’t a luxury we can afford over the next season or two. 

Will be an interesting summer because imo we aren’t miles away from being competitive. Maybe not playoffs but a good fight for them if we can get the summer window right. Basically need to be perfect though. If we sign 4, at least 3 need to be hits. I’d say on the pitch of the signings and re signings only 4 of the 7 were hits. 2 of them part of it is experience where you expect them to get better with what they have shown. The last month has turned me much more optimistic if we can keep it up to a certain degree

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

The team is starting to take shape for me: just a few weaker links to iron out: O’Dowda, Vyner and I’m sorry to say I’m not entirely convinced by Max. 

Thought Vyner had a good game tonight, won a lot of balls, a lot of physical challenges, and used his aggression in just the right way. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Thought he did well too. 

Kept his back to goal for a change and kept his man in front of him. Needs to work on his physicality a bit, but that might not be part of his pysche. Interesting that their 1st goal came from him being off the pitch following an injury, might that have made a difference?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That we can play an 18 and 20 year old in midfield against a physically imposing and heavy running Luton and we control a lot of the game tonight.  Credit to HNM and Scott, they did really well in there tonight.

Another glimpse of what Williams can bring though in his 15 minute cameo too.  Need to take it easy with him though.

Thought Vyner had a good game too.  His tenacity against their strike pair resulted in lots of balls win back, often with the two youngsters nipping the loose ball away.

I think Weimann just mistimed his header, turned his head just too early.  Angle virtually impossible for Wells, he wasn’t heading it across for Nahki, he was trying to score.

Great post Dave but why did we lose.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Kept his back to goal for a change and kept his man in front of him. Needs to work on his physicality a bit, but that might not be part of his pysche. Interesting that their 1st goal came from him being off the pitch following an injury, might that have made a difference?

Yep, his absence left a huge whole which Luton exploited. A bit unfortunate for City.

Edited by Robbored

Parts of the first half were exceptional imo. The passing and shape we kept was spot on. Luton didn’t lay a glove on City whilst when we were without the ball. Same as Cardiff. The progress we have made with and without the ball is very encouraging. Our Achilles heel is defending set pieces and crosses as our last 4 goals we have conceded is evident. 

But the small but obvious steps NP is implementing is filling me with confidence going forward. And he will address our defensive frailties 

Edited by Red Army 75
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

One thing I would disagree on Dave is whilst COD had a lot of the ball and done well defensively. His final ball/cross was really frustrating for me . 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Dasilva had a decent game Dave, he wasn't staying as a wing back in the first half, he was also moving narrow to help Scott / Massengo. Almost like the position Walker / Cancelo take up for Man City when they are dominating a game. It is part of the reason we were winning the ball back so easily in first half.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agree with all this, exactly how I saw it

i think that Weimann / Wells chance was flagged offside, though not sure who against - same with that worldie save Shea made in the second half

A million miles away from the shambles of last year, and whilst definitely a “work in progress”, we are certainly heading in the right direction.

I see the side as four signings away from being a unit that can consistently challenge.

For me, a centre-half, a wideman, a physical striker and a keeper are key.

Last night we dominated Luton through guile and movement in the first 30mins and sporadically in the 2nd half, and we are having “moments” in every game we play now.

I fully expect to see a mid table to threaten the Top 6 season next year as the obvious development of our players and “off the pitch” progress continues.

As for Luton. Riding their luck in this league and a horrible channel ball side. Nathan Jones is easily the most dislikable manager in the league and if coaching in the Championship means high-pitched screaming of “Shape, Shape”, “Squeeze, Squeeze”, swearing lots and directing every throw-in down the line, then I am applying for the next job that comes up.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

In a strange way it’s not too bad if City lose the odd match like this. If City had won last night and had picked up a couple of extra points here or there, there would be talk from some of a push for the playoffs. I think we need to keep expectations low and stick with what Nigel said about taking 3 years to sort things out completely. Next season we might be in with an outside chance of making the playoffs. If not, the season after

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Yep, his absence left a huge whole which Luton exploited. A bit unfortunate for City.

I said on the match day thread that I think it’s time the rule about injured players leaving the pitch was reviewed.
I know why it was brought in, to stop players calling on the trainer to waste time. But there’s not a lot of evidence that that works - we all remember Warnock’s Rotherham, which was extreme, but indicative of the priority that time wasting takes in those circumstances. 
And at the same time, like last night, it unfairly penalises sides who have a genuine injury. And more often that not the injury is the result of a foul - so the fouled side end up getting penalised. 

2 hours ago, City oz said:

Great post Dave but why did we lose.

They scored 2, we scored 1 ???

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

One thing I would disagree on Dave is whilst COD had a lot of the ball and done well defensively. His final ball/cross was really frustrating for me . 

I don’t disagree, still thought he was good first half though overall.  One thing that surprises me is that we all know he is capable “in full flight”, so why does he resort to walking pace up against his fullback and then try to beat him…why not continue the tempo and run directly from the point he receives it?  His slowing up to walking pace, also buys time for the defence.  Just get at him!

1 hour ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Dasilva had a decent game Dave, he wasn't staying as a wing back in the first half, he was also moving narrow to help Scott / Massengo. Almost like the position Walker / Cancelo take up for Man City when they are dominating a game. It is part of the reason we were winning the ball back so easily in first half.

He did indeed, drifted in-field, created space for others.

Heres Jay and Callum’s ball receipt map.

66E1DDE0-0F84-484D-950C-0ABE9217C334.jpeg.c15f9f1de66425d3c43b9ffb46af8182.jpeg
2A5925E8-681E-4C9C-A6D4-7ABA707C6CB2.jpeg.d499b1975caed9991171ecda423b7de6.jpeg

15 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

A million miles away from the shambles of last year, and whilst definitely a “work in progress”, we are certainly heading in the right direction.

I see the side as four signings away from being a unit that can consistently challenge.

For me, a centre-half, a wideman, a physical striker and a keeper are key.

Last night we dominated Luton through guile and movement in the first 30mins and sporadically in the 2nd half, and we are having “moments” in every game we play now.

I fully expect to see a mid table to threaten the Top 6 season next year as the obvious development of our players and “off the pitch” progress continues.

As for Luton. Riding their luck in this league and a horrible channel ball side. Nathan Jones is easily the most dislikable manager in the league and if coaching in the Championship means high-pitched screaming of “Shape, Shape”, “Squeeze, Squeeze”, swearing lots and directing every throw-in down the line, then I am applying for the next job that comes up.

I agree totally with that, especially the final para.  I really dislike Jones.  He’s doing a good job there, but he’s so entitled.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I said on the match day thread that I think it’s time the rule about injured players leaving the pitch was reviewed.
I know why it was brought in, to stop players calling on the trainer to waste time. But there’s not a lot of evidence that that works - we all remember Warnock’s Rotherham, which was extreme, but indicative of the priority that time wasting takes in those circumstances. 
And at the same time, like last night, it unfairly penalises sides who have a genuine injury. And more often that not the injury is the result of a foul - so the fouled side end up getting penalised. 

The rules are if it is the result of a foul and the opposition player is cautioned the player doesn’t have to go off. It’s not applied 100%.  That didn’t apply to Zak though on this occasion.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I thought we maybe lacked James's steadying influence, but Scott & HNM were excellent, when Williams came on wow. If we can keep Joe fit he will make a massive difference. Some of those passes he made, no floaty hopeful stuff , vision backed by crisp firm passes. 

Agree about Vyner, thought he did well for most of the game against an absolute beast of a player. 
I thought Wells was excellent when he came on, Semenyo's touch wasn't quite there last night, but I worried we would miss his aggression when he went off (right call though). That we didn't is credit to Wells, again can't argue with that late chance, would have been a hell of a finish.

Special mention for Pring (again). I was hopeful from what I'd seen when he was on loan, there had been good games where he seemed to struggle after about 70 minutes. Well not any more, lung busting dribbles at about 95 minutes, I think the kid has that LWB nailed down. If we can get a dominant CB and release him to WB/LB I think we will be much better balanced. He tackles well, but looks a real threat going forward.

Klose was wandering around in City training gear apparently, I wonder how long before they make a decision.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The rules are if it is the result of a foul and the opposition player is cautioned the player doesn’t have to go off. It’s not applied 100%.  That didn’t apply to Zak though on this occasion.

Indeed. And there are so many other inconsistencies in there, eg

- a foul but it’s not a caution

- a foul but advantage played

why not just scrap the rule. I don’t see that it’s achieving what it set out to - players frequently fall to the ground clutching their head when they want to break up play and waste a bit of time - and that’s what it was meant to stop. 

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

O’Dowda good first half too (hes due an injury now), as did Dasilva, who generally had a tidy game.

I agree with all of this, loved HNM's game fav was him leaving a bit on one of the Luton boys, he was not afaraid.

Scott, he just gets better and better that boy, when you took the ball on the drop, and started to run with it, just wow.

Vyner for me had a good game, and I liked the way he played the ball out at times and picked up in midfield on a few occations. 

Sad we lost yes, sad about the nature of the goals, though I feel the ref was letting a lot of the physical stuff go from Adebayo which was poor, that being said we were all over the pace for the second goal, got bullied and it went in.  But if we can fix that space, we are going to be a decent top half of thje table side in 12 months again some of the play in the first half was sublime.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They scored 2, we scored 1 ???

I don’t disagree, still thought he was good first half though overall.  One thing that surprises me is that we all know he is capable “in full flight”, so why does he resort to walking pace up against his fullback and then try to beat him…why not continue the tempo and run directly from the point he receives it?  His slowing up to walking pace, also buys time for the defence.  Just get at him!

He did indeed, drifted in-field, created space for others.

Heres Jay and Callum’s ball receipt map.

66E1DDE0-0F84-484D-950C-0ABE9217C334.jpeg.c15f9f1de66425d3c43b9ffb46af8182.jpeg
2A5925E8-681E-4C9C-A6D4-7ABA707C6CB2.jpeg.d499b1975caed9991171ecda423b7de6.jpeg

I agree totally with that, especially the final para.  I really dislike Jones.  He’s doing a good job there, but he’s so entitled.

He really is an obnoxious *****.

Everything about him screams Tony Pulis, including the vile South Wales accent.

As for us (can’t comment specifically on a game I only saw the last 15 minutes of) we are making progress but conceding a goal in 25/28 games is really very poor.

The best sides always have a chance if they limit the opposition to one goal at most, I do appreciate we are blooding defenders like Pring, Atkinson & Tanner with no prior Championship experience, but we need to do far better collectively than this.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1