IGNORED

SSN - Under 21 EFL Stars

DaveF

Can't wait to watch this. Love the Not the Top 20 guys, think they strike a great balance between a personable and entertaining combo but well researched and considered opinions. 

They explained there are some criteria that players have to hit to be included, including:
- no prem loanees
- no players with a handful + prem appearences. 

While they didn't specify anything about foreign top divisions or the Champions League, I'm guessing with HNM making some Champions League and Ligue 1 appearances could be the reason behind his omittance. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Semenyo now 22. ???

A good list…Jacob Greaves is on my watch list…bugger, hoped he’d stay under the radar.

Thanks DaveF. Yes, I’ve been looking forward to this release. Elek & Maxwell are very good. 

DaveFevs - yes, I’ve had a sneaky eye on Greaves (I think I may have mentioned him on my big recruitment thread this time last year?). 

Of that list, I kind of automatically rule out a fair number of them - the likes of Jebbison, Spence etc (essentially at a bigger club than us and highly unlikely to come here) and Keane-Potter, Johnson etc (already well out of our budget I’d guess), but there’s still a good few names there. Rudoni and Kane Wilson would be the most interesting and affordable for me, and both would suit our current system too. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Of that list, I kind of automatically rule out a fair number of them - the likes of Jebbison, Spence etc (essentially at a bigger club than us and highly unlikely to come here) and Keane-Potter, Johnson etc (already well out of our budget I’d guess), but there’s still a good few names there. Rudoni and Kane Wilson would be the most interesting and affordable for me, and both would suit our current system too. 

That’s the basis of my own “summer lists”, i.e. realistic players, hence a bias towards lower-end Champ, Lg1 and Lg2.  I think the only player I had that was unrealistic in my list last summer was Lewis O’Brien…that was just wishful thinking.

Two short decent videos from Sky about Semenyo and Scott: 

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/12531837/21-under-21-antoine-semenyo-of-bristol-city

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/12531828/21-under-21-alex-scott-of-bristol-city

Double edged sword that their getting noticed, but good for them.

I just hope we can build next season around Scott, Semenyo and Massengo. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

Can't wait to watch this. Love the Not the Top 20 guys, think they strike a great balance between a personable and entertaining combo but well researched and considered opinions. 

They explained there are some criteria that players have to hit to be included, including:
- no prem loanees

While they didn't specify anything about foreign top divisions or the Champions League, I'm guessing with HNM making some Champions League and Ligue 1 appearances could be the reason behind his omittance. 

Han Noah only ever made 3 sub appearances in the league for Monaco, 2 CL starts. That seems a very small number to exclude him.

My hunch is that they have overlooked him, maybe thinking someone with over 70 appearances for us is older than 20?

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Han Noah only ever made 3 sub appearances in the league for Monaco, 2 CL starts. That seems a very small number to exclude him.

My hunch is that they have overlooked him, maybe thinking someone with over 70 appearances for us is older than 20?

They did specifically state that even only 3 appearance's at Prem level is too many so it wouldn't surprise me if they excluded him even due to those handful of Ligue 1 and CL appearances. But yes you make a good point, it feels like he's been around for a while and should be older than he is!

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s the basis of my own “summer lists”, i.e. realistic players, hence a bias towards lower-end Champ, Lg1 and Lg2.  I think the only player I had that was unrealistic in my list last summer was Lewis O’Brien…that was just wishful thinking.

Hell yeah. I love O’Brien. 
I’d go as far as to say he’s in the top 3 best players in the championship 

• Like 1

Just now, MATT BCFC said:

Alex Scott really is a potential elite player for me. I've not seen many young English players with his level of technical ability let a lone City players.

I know he has the Grealish comparisons but he reminds me a lot more of Bernardo Silva. 

The couple of times I’ve seen him for Eng u19s (not whole matches) he looks to be as good (if not better) than his peers….all of whom with the odd exception are attached to PL clubs.

Its not like a 17 year old (as he was at the start of the season) came into an established team as the token youngster and was helped along the way.  He’s come into a team going through a difficult rebuild where he’s excelled and influenced team performances.

Absolute effing nugget on our hands.

I haven’t been this excited about a youngster since Tammy and he wasn’t ours.  Even HNM didn’t have the sane impact as Alex Scott.

Am I going OTT?

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The couple of times I’ve seen him for Eng u19s (not whole matches) he looks to be as good (if not better) than his peers….all of whom with the odd exception are attached to PL clubs.

Its not like a 17 year old (as he was at the start of the season) came into an established team as the token youngster and was helped along the way.  He’s come into a team going through a difficult rebuild where he’s excelled and influenced team performances.

I haven’t been this excited about a youngster since Tammy and he wasn’t ours.  Even HNM didn’t have the sane impact as Alex Scott.

Am I going OTT?

Don't think you are! He has like a playstation player first touch, can use both feet, good at set plays, good positional awareness, can score goals, great composure, good vision and seems to have an excellent attitude. 

He's recently (alongside Massengo to be fair) been controlling games as well which I've not seen at this level since Kalvin Phillips. 

I really hope we can keep him for a couple of seasons and build a team around him. Could really see us being serious promotion candidates then.

Edited by MATT BCFC

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Am I going OTT?

Also worth a mention that there's some other really really highly rated players in that England under 19s team. Tottenham fans been saying Dane Scarlett is going to be a world class striker. Aaron Ramsey (not that one) and Carney Chukwuemeka from Villa meant to be 2 of the most promising youngsters in Europe. 

So to even get in the squad let alone look one of the best players is very impressive! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

- no prem loanees

The other criteria for exclusion was players who've moved for 'big' money, which is probably why Massengo isn't there.

• Like 1

The reason that Massengo wasn't on the list was because no "big money moves" counted either. So that rules him out (if he were to be picked that is).

It's under 21 but only by the end of the year so anyone born in January 2000 basically get into this years but only just :)

9 minutes ago, SinéadB said:

The reason that Massengo wasn't on the list was because no "big money moves" counted either. So that rules him out (if he were to be picked that is).

It's under 21 but only by the end of the year so anyone born in January 2000 basically get into this years but only just :)

Semenyo….by 7 days!

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

They wouldn’t overlook anyone. They are the epitome of thorough 

13 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

No.

Aside - did we sign that Acey kid as well?

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Hasn’t been announced.  Some on here might have an inside track, unlike me.

@Jerseybean posted last Sunday that he was told he had signed from the Guernsey end. Do we announce 17 year olds on the OS?

He also mentioned that there was a young striker, Sol Solomon, on trial on the mainland and wandered if that was us too?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

@Jerseybean posted last Sunday that he was told he had signed from the Guernsey end. Do we announce 17 year olds on the OS?

He also mentioned that there was a young striker, Sol Solomon, on trial on the mainland and wandered if that was us too?

Seems to be a lot of good players coming from the Channel Islands of late. 

Edited by redpole