IGNORED

Lack of a mainstream song

MattWSM

When we had johnson says bounce around the ground, it meant everyone joined in and created a good atmosphere. All fan base would join in. In a big away following you get all types of fans beyond the singing section. Those fans also joined in.

But now, there is a void. We need another song or bring that one back with a different name.

We tried to sing it today and the response from Swans was what the fuxxin hell was that. East East end bounce around doesn't work but maybe that song has been dome to death.

So we need a new one.

When we use to sing bounce around we would get comments from other teams how good our support was.

Today wasn't good collectively even when we were on top in the first half or at the beginning. Very quiet.

of course the half time in the concourse saw a lot of jubilation by 300 or so but the other 1600 don't join in with those songs.

We need a mainstream chant again

Either this post will be considered as a load of bollocks or some will know what I'm trying to say.

Ole ole Bristol City doesn't have the uplift it use to either.

Best uplifting one at the moment which all join in is HNM song.

Other than that there isn't one.

IMO.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Was quiet today though Swansea were loud. wish ashton gate would put the home and away fans next to eacother it makes a hell of a difference 

This is the key. 
We had it when we had big big numbers at Cov as well. 
When the home fans are basically right on top us, it has the effect of stifling songs from our end. If the home fans are loud right next to us, then our chants get drowned out. 
It’ll never happen at AG now - well, at least through the clubs decisions. 
Of course, fans could organise themselves to make the move next to the away sections themselves. A mass of S82 renewing in Dolman A or over in the Lansdown right next to the away fans, would be the only way we can impact this. 

• Like 8
  • Robin 1

42 minutes ago, Harry said:

This is the key. 
When the home fans are basically right on top us, it has the effect of stifling songs from our end. If the home fans are loud right next to us, then our chants get drowned out. 
Of course, fans could organise themselves to make the move next to the away sections themselves. A mass of S82 renewing in Dolman A or over in the Lansdown right next to the away fans, would be the only way we can impact this. 

You’ve got it spot on 

The Club aren’t interested in atmosphere so the only way to do it is for the fans to do something about it . See the Cardiff game this season and Swansea a couple of years ago for example , atmosphere was great for those games when fans stood in the dolman .

• Like 3

I thought the City fans sounded in very good voice today, watching Robins tv.

Yes it would be great to have a club anthem, a well known, easy to sing song that everyone enjoyed joining in to. Something like Stoke used to have with Delilah.

I have no music expertise in to what would make a good football song but surely someone on here does!?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AG City said:

Agree.  What annoys me is this self righteous attitude that if you don't sing along to this bounce around cringe fest you are in some way less of a fan.

That is often followed by that 'your not singing over there - followed by 'you c*nts' to our own supporters!

I don’t think it’s because people don’t join in with those songs (which I find cringe btw) . I think it’s more to do with people just sat down all game at the gate or the people who go away and then sit down all game quiet.

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I don’t think it’s because people don’t join in with those songs (which I find cringe btw) . I think it’s more to do with people just sat down all game at the gate or the people who go away and then sit down all game quiet.

That’s why midweek games tend to be better, especially London ones as we travel well. Far less people sit down midweek, possibly due to different demographic attending. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That’s why midweek games tend to be better, especially London ones as we travel well. Far less people sit down midweek, possibly due to different demographic attending. 

Tbh I never noticed that before but thinking about it I completely agree. Reading away this season everyone was pretty much stood up singing but our derby away at Cardiff on the weekend there was loads sat down . 

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes it would be great to have a club anthem, a well known, easy to sing song that everyone enjoyed joining in to. Something like Stoke used to have with Delilah.

I have no music expertise in to what would make a good football song but surely someone on here does!?

Yes thats it, club Anthem I am meaning not a mainstream song as I put it

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Stoke still bang out Delilah - ‘used to’ is incorrect - we should resurrect ‘Tom Thumb’ we used to bang that one out home and away and it just worked! 

I think sometimes we might make the mistake of changing a song too much. If you add current players, managers names then it’s got a short shelf life.

Songs like Man City’s Blue Moon, West Ham’s Blowing Bubbles and Stokes Delilah don’t have many words changed they’re just adopted by the club. And my word when everyone is singing them it’s one of English football’s special moments.

To be fair, we do have Drink up Thee Cider, which has been great but loses a bit as it goes on instead of building up into a crescendo of noise. Plus it seems to out of favour compared to 10 or 20 years ago.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Stoke still bang out Delilah - ‘used to’ is incorrect - we should resurrect ‘Tom Thumb’ we used to bang that one out home and away and it just worked! 

True but when I said used to, it’s never even a quarter of what it used to be 20 years ago and into there premier league years. That was deafening, now there’s an occasional half hearted effort.

My wife’s a Stoke fan so I do watch them quite a bit. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I think sometimes we might make the mistake of changing a song too much. If you add current players, managers names then it’s got a short shelf life.

Songs like Man City’s Blue Moon, West Ham’s Blowing Bubbles and Stokes Delilah don’t have many words changed they’re just adopted by the club. And my word when everyone is singing them it’s one of English football’s special moments.

To be fair, we do have Drink up Thee Cider, which has been great but loses a bit as it goes on instead of building up into a crescendo of noise. Plus it seems to out of favour compared to 10 or 20 years ago.

It’s sung too quickly - would be far better if it was sung about 20% slower.

9 hours ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Section 82 have sung Tom Thumb at recent games.  Don’t think the younger fans know the tune so it tends to fade out pretty quickly.

It’s a really good one and unique to us, however as you say it’s an incredibly obscure one.

10 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

To the tune of Yellow Submarine 

Pearson says we are where we are

Are where we are 

Are where we are

Pearson says we are where we are

Are where we are 

Are where we are

(Sing until nauseous or reaching for the fifteenth can of Thatchers)

Like it.

Nothing wrong with a bit of self deprecating humour ?

15 hours ago, Harry said:

This is the key. 

This absolutely. Fair play to Swansea they were loud most of the game and drowned us out. When they did go quiet for a very short time our fans started to sing is this a library which was embarrassing. Having singers next to the away fans creates the atmosphere and unless we have a big game so the Dolman A fills up our atmosphere is poor. When the away team attack the Atyeo they can really get behind their team and we crumble.

3 minutes ago, Clint said:

This absolutely. Fair play to Swansea they were loud most of the game and drowned us out. When they did go quiet for a very short time our fans started to sing is this a library which was embarrassing. Having singers next to the away fans creates the atmosphere and unless we have a big game so the Dolman A fills up our atmosphere is poor. When the away team attack the Atyeo they can really get behind their team and we crumble.

The club have facilitated this and enabled it. S82 give it a good go, but the atmosphere would be so much better if they were next to the away fans.

I don’t think the club necessarily want a vociferous AG. They associate it with trouble I think and would rather win awards like ‘family club of the year’ than AG be known to be loud and atmospheric.

I’ve said it time and time again, but the club should’ve organised AG so that away fans were in the corner of Dolman/Lansdown adjacent to the Atyeo which would house our vocal fans.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1