IGNORED

Lack of a mainstream song

MattWSM

There could be a fan led attempt to move some vocal support into Dolman A as well as S82. Probably the only way the atmosphere is going to get better at Ashton gate as the club aren’t interested. It’s not like there isn’t more interested in these type of areas as S82 sells out quickly every year with season tickets.

However from memory these sort of campaigns have fallen flat in the past… the parkenders never really got going. 

There’s also the possibility we’re just a fan base, barring the bigger games, that relies on good football and a little bit of success in order to get up for creating a decent atmosphere. I think people have slightly rose tinted memories at times of some sort of cauldron AG. 

The difficulty at AG for chants and songs is entirely down to location of those who like to chant. The ‘singing section’ is tucked away in the corner of the SS with poor acoustics whilst the away get the Atyeo with far better acoustics with the roof reflecting the sound out into the stadium. That exactly why just a few away fans can create so much sound.

In an ideal world the home fans would better placed in the Atyeo but A&S police want away fans there for easier access out to Ashton Rd post match. 

For those reasons nothing will happen regardless of what City song is sung

I remember back during the redevelopment the Atyeo roof was used as a reason that the home fans were quiet.

Also not sure I buy the fact the home fans need to be next to away ones - in fact, lots of traditional "home ends" which create loads of noise aren't.

I think we've just been served up a lot of crap on the pitch for quite a few years now, and it's had an effect. When the football is exciting again (and it's getting there, slowly) the atmosphere will come back as well whatever configuration the fans are stood in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The main reason for the lack of noise, not atmosphere, is the dire football we've been served up over recent years. Add to that the club trying to change direction and appeal to a bigger/wider audience of middle income earners and families and you will understand, the reason that those enthusiastic supporters that like to sing and chant, have been pushed from pillar to post since the development of the Atyeo stand and always ended up tucked away in a corner. When that was built season tickets were sold on a first come basis with allocated seating. As a result, the lads that sing and chant, mostly could not afford season tickets and as such, Lansdown and Sextone had achieved their aim in separating/splitting up the wilder elements of our supporter base.

As for a club anthem, we just don't have one. Drink up the cider is sung with gusto by a few when celebrating a win against the odds (Man U), yet in normal times it rarely gets above a few joining in, reason I believe is that people find it slightly embarrassing. We are also a very reactive somewhat reserved bunch that don't usually burst into song, along with complete strangers.

Now, if we had a song that people could be proud of, that we adopted and never worried about actually singing it, because it was tuneful and the words were easy, then that would be great. Unfortunately, to date, that song has eluded us, just like sustained success.

I always enjoyed the chant 'always believe', in the Gary Johnson era, it seemed to get the whole crowd going.

I'm not sure if it originated from having Basso in goal, or the fact we just never seemed beaten and would often get last minute equalisers or winners (or was it just copied from another club - I don't recall anyone else singing in).

Always surprised it has not been sung since -  maybe we just don't believe anymore!

Edited by bbew

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

I remember back during the redevelopment the Atyeo roof was used as a reason that the home fans were quiet.

Also not sure I buy the fact the home fans need to be next to away ones - in fact, lots of traditional "home ends" which create loads of noise aren't.

I think we've just been served up a lot of crap on the pitch for quite a few years now, and it's had an effect. When the football is exciting again (and it's getting there, slowly) the atmosphere will come back as well whatever configuration the fans are stood in.

The thing is when our fans were in the atyeo it was only a little section of it and not the whole end . Majority of clubs give home fans a end behind the goal to stand but it seems wherever our fans want to stand at Ashton gate they are only given a poxy little section to do it in .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

The difficulty at AG for chants and songs is entirely down to location of those who like to chant. The ‘singing section’ is tucked away in the corner of the SS with poor acoustics whilst the away get the Atyeo with far better acoustics with the roof reflecting the sound out into the stadium. That exactly why just a few away fans can create so much sound.

In an ideal world the home fans would better placed in the Atyeo but A&S police want away fans there for easier access out to Ashton Rd post match. 

For those reasons nothing will happen regardless of what City song is sung

Is that official Robbo?

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

The thing is when our fans were in the atyeo it was only a little section of it and not the whole end . Majority of clubs give home fans a end behind the goal to stand but it seems wherever our fans want to stand at Ashton gate they are only given a poxy little section to do it in .

As I wrote above. I believe the club did this intentionally to break up those singers. They shunted them from pillar to post and after finally submitting to the probability that they wouldn't go away, they put them somewhere out of the way and where they could be controlled and subsequently got rid of with every bit of bad behaviour.

The only way to get a proper singing section, is to infiltrate the best possible place for it to be effective, which is the centre of the South Stand. Sadly this might take a little time as it's quite popular. 

While the club appear to give in to those also wanting to stand, that also means they keep control of where they are. I know this sounds like a conspiracy theory but, SL has often quoted Norwich as a club he'd like us modelled on. Lot's of families, women and children are season ticket holders there and, I firmly believe he thinks by combining football and rugby, he'll get a cross over of support both ways. Expect swearing and fighting at the rugby and, piss drinking and come on Briz at the football.?

Edited by Rich
addition
  • Like 1

My son and I stand in s82 and this is often the topic of conversation.  A singing section next to the away end makes all the difference,  like someone else said, look no further than Coventry and Swansea, both have created a great atmosphere at their grounds.
The solution would be, City fans back in the Atyeo, away fans to the right in the last quarter of the Lansdown.  Small away following and they get the bottom half, large away following and they get the bottom and top tier.  Away fans would still enter and leave the ground through the same entrance as they do now. Home fans enter and leave the Atyeo via the dolman side.

Can’t see it happening though.??‍♂️

Edited by TomPearceMMA

7 minutes ago, TomPearceMMA said:

My son and I stand in s82 and this is often the topic of conversation.  A singing section next to the away end makes all the difference,  like someone else said, look no further than Coventry and Swansea, both have created a great atmosphere at their grounds.
The solution would be, City fans back in the Atyeo, away fans to the right in The last quarter of the south stand.  Small away following and they get the bottom half, large away following and they get the bottom and top tier.  Away fans would still enter and leave the ground through the same entrance as they do now. Home fans enter and leave the Atyeo via the dolman side.

Whilst I agree with everything you said can we stop saying singing section . Those two words pretty much sum up how shite the atmosphere is and makes Ashton gate sound like an mls stadium 

12 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Whilst I agree with everything you said can we stop saying singing section . Those two words pretty much sum up how shite the atmosphere is and makes Ashton gate sound like an mls stadium 

Yeah fair enough, a singing selection does sound a bit tinpot, but you get the general idea ?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TomPearceMMA said:

The solution would be, City fans back in the Atyeo, away fans to the right in The last quarter of the south stand.  Small away following and they get the bottom half, large away following and they get the bottom and top tier.  Away fans would still enter and leave the ground through the same entrance as they do now. Home fans enter and leave the Atyeo via the dolman side.

Since when has there been a lower and upper section of the South Stand. And doing what you suggest moves the home and away fans to opposite ends of the ground. I'm being pedantic, I know you mean the Lansdown stand.

I really don't understand this thinking that bringing home and away fans closer together increases the atmosphere. It might seem like it when you're there and in amongst it at times, but for those in other parts of the ground it's sometimes just a noise, followed by gesturing and general antagonism towards each other.

From what I've seen, most proper clubs have their home fans at one end of the ground and tuck the away support the furthest away from the pitch that they can, to avoid them over influencing decisions and inspiring their team. Sensible really, get everything going for you, in your favour as opposed to encouraging the opposition.

18 hours ago, Rich said:

Since when has there been a lower and upper section of the South Stand. And doing what you suggest moves the home and away fans to opposite ends of the ground. I'm being pedantic, I know you mean the Lansdown stand.

I really don't understand this thinking that bringing home and away fans closer together increases the atmosphere. It might seem like it when you're there and in amongst it at times, but for those in other parts of the ground it's sometimes just a noise, followed by gesturing and general antagonism towards each other.

From what I've seen, most proper clubs have their home fans at one end of the ground and tuck the away support the furthest away from the pitch that they can, to avoid them over influencing decisions and inspiring their team. Sensible really, get everything going for you, in your favour as opposed to encouraging the opposition.

This,