IGNORED

Pearson’s Not Happy!

JP Hampton

We have under achieved and 37 points from 32 games reflects that. However, had we not conceded so many goals in the closing stages of matches our points would be significantly more and reflect the overall progress that NP has made. As NP said, himself, in the press conference,a number of the young players eg. Alex Scott, Antoine Semenyo and Massengo are worth significantly more now than they were 12 months ago.

1 minute ago, Sarumred said:

We have under achieved and 37 points from 32 games reflects that. However, had we not conceded so many goals in the closing stages of matches our points would be significantly more and reflect the overall progress that NP has made. As NP said, himself, in the press conference,a number of the young players eg. Alex Scott, Antoine Semenyo and Massengo are worth significantly more now than they were 12 months ago.

What were you expecting this season, out of interest? I would’ve snapped your hand off for 21st, so the fact we sit 17th and comfortably away from relegation, in my eyes we are overachieving.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I seem to recall Steve Lansdown saying in the summer that top 6 was the aim, which was as much a pipe dream then as it is now, though it wouldn’t surprise me if Jon is still thinking along the same lines.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, I agree. It tallies with what I suppose I've known for a while but thought it not appropriate to say. Unfortunately, we are in yet another scenario where the home truths delivered by the manager of the day have not gone down well with The Lansdowns. 

The last two managers to have a difficult relationship with The Lansdowns were SOD and Cotterill and neither lasted more than two years. 

Barring a change of ownership it'll be the same for Pearson. 

Realistically, you can't have a wannabe-successful club with everyone pulling in the same direction when your chairman (and son of owner) are in public disagreement with the manager. 

Frustrating, but entirely predictable. 

I honestly think this situation is as much, if not more of a test for the Lansdown’s as it is for Nige.  Jon’s comments make me think they still can’t see what a total mess they’ve made of player recruitment at this club and the ever mounting debts prove it.

Can’t disagree with anything Nige said there and it feels like in the short time he’s been here, he’s got the problems at this Club totally sussed.

The Lansdown’s need someone to tell them they aren’t God’s gift to club ownership and if NP gets binned because he stands up and tells them how it is, I think that’ll it for me. 

• Like 15

24 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Ok, my tin hat is on and i'm ready for the responses to this, but i do think Nige is a little bit out of order with what he said.

We can all pick holes in the mistakes made by The Lansdown family but we also need to respect what they have done for Bristol City and that they are in charge. The infrastructure that they have developed over the past decade is incredible and nobody can ever deny the money invested (i appreciate this is by Dad and not Son).

For me Nige hasn't built up enough credit in his time at the club to be saying publically what he did and undermining those above him. If you did that in many walks of life you wouldn't be around for long.

We have repeated time and time again what a poor squad he inherited but i do wonder if his recent outbursts are a deflection away from increasingly inconsistant performances and results?

The slight upturn in performances over the past dozen or so games has coincided with the return of Semenyo and the pace he brings, but most of us recognised this was lacking in the summer. I'm not sure we can put it down to a Pearson masterstroke?

Don't get me wrong, i still want him to succeed and hope he can improve us next season, but i do think we need to respect what The Lansdowns have done for the club (long before Nige arrived). 

Rant over

No offence,  but all you have done here is reassert what most of us know; that The Lansdowns investment in infrastructure at the club has been excellent.

Now try critiquing their performance on the football side... go on.... there's 21 years of evidence. Go through every managerial appointment and pick the good ones, and let me know which of them have gone onto bigger and better things. 

In anticipation, 

• Like 14
  • Flames 2

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

The difference being SoD and Cotterill, lost the fan base in the end...mainly because they had no idea of what was going on behind closed doors.

I feel there is an understanding now amongst the fan base that we have been run poorly for many years. 

NP has his faults, but he's in a far stronger position with the fans, than the board and owner right now.

They would do well to listen for a change. Get some humility. They are starting to look like little Hitler's. Do as I say...it's my ball, I'm captain, I'll take it home if you don't do as I say syndrome.

Think they are losing the plot a bit...started to look like a good idea, now it just looks like a rich blokes play thing who wants to leave a legacy...the underlying feeling is he's losing respect.

Absolutely spot on & I hope The Lansdowns do show humility.

Ultimately, their legacy is on the line here. 

• Like 6

Seems like JL seemed to think the ‘sell players for massive money’ gravy train was going to go on and on. You just can’t use that as a business model, especially when the recruitment was as poor as LJ/MA. We could all see that we were running out of talent to balance the books, MA knew this and swiftly abandoned ship. The club essentially was milked dry of saleable assets (most of which weren’t even signed by MA/LJ which really p1sses me off but that’s not the point).

Has the team under achieved this season? Not for me and I think it’s a bit embarrassing JL has come out and said that. Fair play NP on pulling him up on it. 
Has the CLUB under achieved since receiving almost 100m in transfer fees? Absolutely. The finger is pointed fairly at LJ and MA but ultimately they all report into the Lansdowns so they have to take some responsibility. 

Oh and speaking of identity I still hate that stupid robin badge we have. 

Edited by Dredd
Typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 7

37 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

How can I respect them when they brought in Ashton and LJ, and wasted all that what was built by Cotts and SoD? It still makes me so angry and extremely sad as to what could have been if the right infrastructure was put in place when we were promoted back to the Championship. 

Ashton also brought in Pearson.

7 minutes ago, The Bard said:

He probably made the phone call and showed him round.  The decision was not his. 

He would've chosen someone who would've made him look good in comparison.

I'm confused, either he chose/recommended the managers or he didn't ?

Edited by VT05763

Just now, The Bard said:

He was leaving when Pearson was appointed.  Hung around for a bit, took credit for the HPC then went on gardening leave and started to plan for Ipswich.  I do hope you're just being facetious?

Though Pearson, who said he was told of Ashton’s departure in “good time,” praised the CEO's achievements for City.

“He leaves a very positive legacy behind him," Pearson continued. "I’ve really enjoyed working with him.

2 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

I'm confused, either he chose/recommended the managers or he didn't ?

You are very confused. You believe that the family which owns 99% of the shares in BCFC let a man who owns 0% of shares in the football club decide who the next manager, answerable to the aforementioned family, would be.

It's remarkable naivety and from the same school of ridiculous thought that actually believed Ashton appointed Holden. 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, VT05763 said:

Though Pearson, who said he was told of Ashton’s departure in “good time,” praised the CEO's achievements for City.

“He leaves a very positive legacy behind him," Pearson continued. "I’ve really enjoyed working with him.

Is that quote on camera?  Love to see the look on his face as he said that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You are very confused. You believe that the family which owns 99% of the shares in BCFC let a man who owns 0% of shares in the football club decide who the next manager, answerable to the aforementioned family, would be.

It's remarkable naivety and from the same school of ridiculous thought that actually believed Ashton appointed Holden. 

So in you opinion the answer is no for all Managers.

I respect that.

Just now, The Bard said:

Is that quote on camera?  Love to see the look on his face as he said that.

Awkward isn't it ?

25 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Oh and speaking of identity I still hate that stupid robin badge we have. 

It's embarassing as a club crest, very child like. JL idea as well wasn't it? He seems to me to just be a typical child of a very rich man. All the crackpot ideas, but the lights aren't quite all on upstairs.

Well in Nige, the truth hurts and the fanbase of this club has watched failure after failure for the past 20 years, a lot of money spent with very little to show for it. If this is the end for Nige, I think my interest will drift sadly.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, I agree. It tallies with what I suppose I've known for a while but thought it not appropriate to say. Unfortunately, we are in yet another scenario where the home truths delivered by the manager of the day have not gone down well with The Lansdowns. 

The last two managers to have a difficult relationship with The Lansdowns were SOD and Cotterill and neither lasted more than two years. 

Barring a change of ownership it'll be the same for Pearson. 

Realistically, you can't have a wannabe-successful club with everyone pulling in the same direction when your chairman (and son of owner) are in public disagreement with the manager. 

Frustrating, but entirely predictable. 

Was my understanding that Pearson clearly laid out to lansdown where the club was at and what need to happen to even begin to try and put it right and lansdown was on board with that 

if the Lansdowns are now moving the goalposts after an entirely predictable indifferent season that we all expected that’s mental 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You are very confused. You believe that the family which owns 99% of the shares in BCFC let a man who owns 0% of shares in the football club decide who the next manager,( PLAYERS AND WAGES) answerable to the aforementioned family, would be.

You cant have it all ways- It's a constant theme- anything good is someone else ( whoever) and anything bad is Ashton . 

So Ashton didn't choose Pearson but he did choose LJ , the players and the wages?

Everything good or bad will always lead to SL. IMO Pearson already has been given signs that his position is increasingly under consideration and he's adept at his own narrative. You don't speak out against your employer unless you feel you have little to lose.

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

So in you opinion the answer is no for all Managers.

I respect that.

It's not "opinion". I know who appoints managers at the FC thanks. Next you're going to tell me that by pure coincidence Ashton appointed Steve and Jon's friend Lee Johnson to be head coach. 

5 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

SL phoned him up

Yes, at least two video calls. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Wasn’t Nige eating a bacon sandwich or something and his wife said Steve Lansdown’s on the phone? 

Sounds about right.

7 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

You cant have it all ways- It's a constant theme- anything good is someone else ( whoever) and anything bad is Ashton . 

So Ashton didn't choose Pearson but he did choose LJ , the players and the wages?

Everything good or bad will always lead to SL. IMO Pearson already has been given signs that his position is increasingly under consideration and he's adept at his own narrative. You don't speak out against your employer unless you feel you have little to lose.

My point but put far better.

Seems like we are going though our usual downward trend after a couple of positive ones, only positive for me atm is we have Pearson in charge who is changing our style of play and has experience in abundance,  don't think hes ever been relegated. Hope this doesn't spell the end for him in the summer, we will go down if so.

3 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Can't blame Nige tbh, I can't understand how Jon can't see the difference between the improvements that have been made and what was being served up last season. I guess picking out paint colours for his overseas developments from his crayon pallette has blinded him or something!

Because he's thick as sh1t in the neck of a bottle ?  Our version of Tim Nice but Dim !

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

This reminds me of the Millen, Sextone spats back in the day. 

Combined with comments the other day about losing jobs and players etc. 

Im guessing Jon's comments could be taken in a certain light as vote of confirm. 

I don't think that NP is as safe as people seem to think. 

Reading between the lines I may be the only one to think this though. 

RalphMilnesLeftFoot I got the impression that Pearson was planning for the summer. 

Comparing Millen to Pearson in a managerial sense is complete nonsense... damages your point if anything.

• Like 2