IGNORED

Without Bentley we don’t win that …

Denbury Red

In my opinion Dan Bentley had a really great game.

In the first half he made a few “this is my penalty area” saves and got down where it hurts without a second thought - which, with due respect, I don’t believe Max would have done that!

In the second half he made the one save low to his right to push a long shot around the post and a few other very very good saves - which we have come to expect from him.

I really hope he and Pearson can put their supposed differences behind them and he can keep his position in goal for the rest of the season.

As has be said for many a year - a quality goalkeeper is worth many points a season - had Max been in goal yesterday - I’m not sure we would have won that!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

In the first half he made a few “this is my penalty area” saves and got down where it hurts without a second thought - which, with due respect, I don’t believe Max would have done that!

In the second half he made the one save low to his right to push a long shot around the post and a few other very very good saves - which we have come to expect from him.

I really hope he and Pearson can put their supposed differences behind them and he can keep his position in goal for the rest of the season.

As has be said for many a year - a quality goalkeeper is worth many points a season - had Max been in goal yesterday - I’m not sure we would have won that!

Bentley had a great game, can't disagree on that.

Where was it confirmed that Pearson and Bentley have differences or even "supposed" differences? Anyone would think he is the first Goalkeeper ever left out of any professional football side..............do you remember a Goalkeeper we had called Dean Gerken? Blackpool away and Leicester City at home is what a Goalkeeper can do to a Manager that they and/or the rest of the squad have differences with.

Think one of NP’s main differences with DB was that he wasn’t playing very well. He did play well yesterday, albeit nothing astonishing, but still right that he was dropped in my view. If nothing else it confirms to Dan that he’s droppable if out of form. Whilst Max seemed to be losing confidence during his run in the side and doesn’t move feet quickly enough when shot stopping, not sure too many goals conceded were solely down to him. Still think Dan needs to improve distribution and sweeper-keeping. We need either Max to improve his weaknesses, Harvey to be the real deal or look to bring someone in, as need a strong alternative to DB for when out of form. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Listening to Bentley on the radio, I don’t believe there are any fallings out with NP. Bentley was totally respectful of the situation 

Just great management from NP as Bentley has come back stronger with a MOTM performance yesterday 

• Like 10

Yes he was good. He did fumble one that he grabbed at the second attempt, would Max been slated for that? 
Didn't really do anything I wouldn't expect. Some decent saves, none I wouldn't expect him to save, but where he is as good as I've seen, is one on one with a striker.  It amazes me how someone that quick to close a striker , backs away from pass backs and hesitates on crosses. 

I didn't think Bentley would be dropped when he was. Even though I had heard plenty of people saying he should be. I don't think OLeary has been bad, and I can only really fault him for one goal in his run.  When all the blame for Max not coming for crosses was going around, from memory they were the edge of his 6 yard box. Yesterday the guys header was 3 yards out, centre of the goal. Not heard many moans though.

Just perspective. We defended better as a team yesterday, we controlled the latter stage s little better than we have, and for me that made a difference. We have 2 good keepers in their own right, not perfect, but decent. Hopefully Bentley gets some confidence from Yesterday , some determination from being dropped and makes himself undroppable 

Screenshot 2022-02-20 at 10.26.19.png

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Listening to Bentley on the radio, I don’t believe there are any fallings out with NP. Bentley was totally respectful of the situation 

Just great management from NP as Bentley has come back stronger with a MOTM performance yesterday 

Exactly. It’s given Bentley a kick up the arse, while having a good look at Max to see if he’s good enough to stay for next season and beyond. I don’t see the harm in that when we’re comfortably mid-table. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Yes he was good. He did fumble one that he grabbed at the second attempt, would Max been slated for that? 
Didn't really do anything I wouldn't expect. Some decent saves, none I wouldn't expect him to save, but where he is as good as I've seen, is one on one with a striker.  It amazes me how someone that quick to close a striker , backs away from pass backs and hesitates on crosses. 

I didn't think Bentley would be dropped when he was. Even though I had heard plenty of people saying he should be. I don't think OLeary has been bad, and I can only really fault him for one goal in his run.  When all the blame for Max not coming for crosses was going around, from memory they were the edge of his 6 yard box. Yesterday the guys header was 3 yards out, centre of the goal. Not heard many moans though.

Just perspective. We defended better as a team yesterday, we controlled the latter stage s little better than we have, and for me that made a difference. We have 2 good keepers in their own right, not perfect, but decent. Hopefully Bentley gets some confidence from Yesterday , some determination from being dropped and makes himself undroppable 

Screenshot 2022-02-20 at 10.26.19.png

As someone who was (very poorly) a member of the goalies union, don’t disagree with anything you say, but just some comments on their goal.

They did this pretty much all game to be honest, but as the corner is taken, there is one of their players standing right in front of him, with no brief other than to block him coming out. You picture shows it very well. Bentley is trying to get out, but the player just blocks him as he comes. Its ‘clever’, and to be frank not that unusual a tactic. The two of them started on the goal line. It’s worth watching the highlights for the goal and purely focus on Bentley, to see how Boro played the tactic.

One response is to get a bit arsy. For a defender to go over and try and push him out the way a bit. Pushing and shoving ensues, the ref comes over has a word...but is much more likely to watch for it, and in the case of the goal may have been encouraged to give a foul. The Boro player is doing nothing more than constantly pushing Bentley back.

Not critical of Boro at all, we try this now and again. However don’t allow the corner to come over with a forward so obviously blocking your goalie. Refs are arguably over protective of Goalies, one counter is to use that.

Edited by cityexile
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, cityexile said:

As someone who was (very poorly) a member of the goalies union, don’t disagree with anything you say, but just some comments on their goal.

They did this pretty much all game to be honest, but as the corner is taken, there is one of their players standing right in front of him, with no brief other than to block him coming out. You picture shows it very well. Bentley is trying to get out, but the player just blocks him as he comes. Its ‘clever’, and to be frank not that unusual a tactic. The two of them started on the goal line. It’s worth watching the highlights for the goal and purely focus on Bentley, to see how Boro played the tactic.

One response is to get a bit arsy. For a defender to go over and try and push him out the way a bit. Pushing and shoving ensues, the ref comes over has a word...but is much more likely to watch for it, and in the case of the goal may have been encouraged to give a foul. The Boro player is doing nothing more than constantly pushing Bentley back.

Not critical of Boro at all, we try this now and again. However don’t allow the corner to come over with a forward so obviously blocking your goalie. Refs are arguably over protective of Goalies, one counter is to use that.

I agree, big part of my point is that Max is actually better at handling and coming for crosses, but when he doesn't come for one that leads to a goal Corner of the 6 yard box) he got hammered for it. Bentley should command his box more, he has the build. He doesn't and we have to accept that. Frankie played like he had divers boots on, never came for a cross and backed away from passbacks. He was a good shot stopper, it's a similar position, except with his build and reach Bentley should do better.
At times yesterday we had HNM pushing their player around, for the goal he was front post. I still think Bentley looks nervy with players around him. But like I say, they have pluses and minuses, you choose one and that's it.

Bentley is brilliant 1 V 1, great shot stopper.
Max is good 1 V 1, very good shot stopper, very good distribution. 
I personally don't think there's much in it. 

36 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Ideally you want a man on the blocker to do the job of "unblocking" just as the corner is taken although pro refs are probably wise to that and also the defending of corners seems to be so bloody scientific these days that there probably isn't scope to give the goalkeeper an "unblocker" even though it would leave teams in a better goals conceded situation over the course of a season imo..................

30 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Some of those Boro corners in the first half were immense - Bentley and co did well to weather them

Not sure Max would have been so commanding, not his strongest attribute 

Couldn’t agree more - Max seems to think twice about getting in where it hurts - and by the time he’s thought about it the ball is in the net!

Max has the makings of a good goalkeeper but he still has lots to learn - especially “when to come and when to stay on his line” - but I have always felt that he dithers too much, whereas Bentley makes the decision instantly and tries to execute - admittedly, like keepers similar to David James, Grobbelar, etc that decision, whilst decisive, will sometimes be wrong!

Thankfully yesterday - the whole defence made the right decisions!

• Like 1

I really like Bentley but tbf he fumbled and parried a few straight back down the middle just as he was doing before he was dropped.  Got away with it because Kalas and Klose (and Williams) were mopping up the 6 yard box really well.  So I wouldn't really say he was that much better or worse than before really.

He's our number 1 keeper imo and one of our better players overall.

Also love his attitude.  The interview he gave to Radio Bristol after the game yesterday was brilliant

6 hours ago, cityexile said:

image.png.9a9fbb9e50504e46db795659fabb0a9a.png

If the defenders step up a metre to defend their zones the blocking player on Bentley moves. He can take that position due to the depth of City. Whatever Citys zonal markers were not first in their zones. Set up like the above and it should be a the opposition cannot score from where they do. 

image.png.1ce0187778aad5e3b5041c795bb019e0.png

From behind the goal it looks worse. Zonal defenders got bossed in their zones by a player who totally lost his marker. Poor x 2.

image.png.03eee128bc503d6bd0e6305355e78097.png

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 1

For me Bentley has much better command of his box.

Shot stopping, not much in it? But I feel Max has had at least one or two moments where he ‘could have done better’ with goals conceded. 

Clear difference though is in possession - Max just has another level when it comes to distribution IMO, always offers himself which helps us get out and has much more confidence on the ball.

Would you sacrifice that for less goals conceded at the moment? Probably.

Edited by Alessandro

7 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Great man management Pearson done the same with Scott look how that turned out..

• Thanks 1