IGNORED

Keith Millen

Gillies Downs Leeds

I don’t think Millen was anywhere as near as bad in BS3 as many on here clearly do, but having never managed at that level, with his last spell in Sweden being underwhelming & he’s about as much of a Southener as me, he was always a very odd choice for Carlisle.

1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Jackett also fired by Orient, I suppose the humiliation at losing last night was too much for the owner

2 points from the last 30 available, certainly a great time to play them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyClapper said:

Paul Simpson appointed until the  end of the season.

I was surprised he wasn't appointed when they were looking for a new manager only a few months ago.

He was born in Carlisle, played for Carlisle and subsequently managed Carlisle out of the Conference League and then in to League One when he was last there ten years or so ago.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t think Millen was anywhere as near as bad in BS3 as many on here clearly do

There’s a lot of convenient and lazy re-writing of history that goes on to suit agendas on OTIB, and Millen is far from being alone in suffering from that. SOD is another, and there are more besides.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, O'Garlandinho said:

Disagree, no agenda but both were awful. SOD gave us some brief hope at the start of 2013. 

You have to take account of the circumstances under which he was operating. It was actually a situation not altogether unlike the one now confronting NP, in fact. 

The occupants of the boardroom had once again steered us into a position whereby they were obliged to place him under extremely tight constraints. (You know, usual scenario: recent history of appallingly incompetent player recruitment; bloated squad full of overpaid mediocrity; blind panic about the state of the club’s finances, etc.)

SOD implemented their instructions to the letter and spent next to nothing, though he still managed to bring in one or two astute signings. The team struggled (surprise, surprise), the same incumbents in the boardroom collectively soiled themselves at the looming prospect of L2, SOD was predictably sacked and SC was appointed with the scope to sign pretty much whoever he wanted.

SOD was quietly responsible for starting a rebuild and putting in place a number of measures that contributed to subsequent success, for which he is only rarely given any credit.

Hence my reference to the convenient and frequently inaccurate rewriting of history. Happens all the time on this forum. Never let the facts get in the way of a keenly held antipathy towards a former manager,

• Like 6

He won or drew 9 out of 18 games from his appointment until now - seems a bit harsh to sack him - certain Bristol City managers have survived without being sacked with much worse ‘result runs’ - I had a chat with Jamie McAllister at the game last night - I asked him about the Sunderland tenure with LJ - again, he thought their sackings were very harsh - certain clubs need to realise their standings in English football and realign their expectations accordingly ... 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Have they? They’ve won or drawn 50% of their recent games ...

1 point from the last 18 available, 3 from the last 24.

Millen started well but they have struggled recently, I agree with your central point that 6 or 8 games is not long enough to judge but they clearly lost faith & with Oldham flying under Sheridan are shitting themselves that they are going to be non league.

On the other subject, I think the LJ & Jamie Mac sackings were madness.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Have they? They’ve won or drawn 50% of their recent games ...

Their last 10 results (most recent first) are:

L D L L L L D D W W

So to say they've been struggling of late isn't really unfair. Those 2 W's above are 2 of only 6 in their 31 games they've played this year.

They're in real danger of dropping out of the football league for only the second time in their entire history.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

There’s a lot of convenient and lazy re-writing of history that goes on to suit agendas on OTIB, and Millen is far from being alone in suffering from that. SOD is another, and there are more besides.

Nonsense. Millen's teams were dire, I can recall us playing it long to Nicky Maynard, utterly tactical lunacy and dreadful to watch. A terrible appointment.

SO'D came in when we were in a mess, and at least recruited some top notch players (Flint, Pack, JET)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

I think the problem with Millen was that he was appointed after a false dawn. With Coppell's appointment, I think many of us felt the club was about to kick on. Him leaving and an assistant taking over was bewildering and a complete climb down from the club's position when appointing Coppell.

That was what made his appointment so underwhelming for many. The Holden situation was similar in that regard, as again I think many of us hoped the club was about to kick on rather than settle for mediocrity. 

Agreed on SO'D though - his transfer legacy has aged very well. 

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the problem with Millen was that he was appointed after a false dawn. With Coppell's appointment, I think many of us felt the club was about to kick on. Him leaving and an assistant taking over was bewildering and a complete climb down from the club's position when appointing Coppell.

That was what made his appointment so underwhelming for many. The Holden situation was similar in that regard, as again I think many of us hoped the club was about to kick on rather than settle for mediocrity. 

Agreed on SO'D though - his transfer legacy has aged very well. 

SO'D's downfall (obviously results notwithstanding) wasn't helped by his approach in interviews/media. In some ways similar to Pearson - brutal, honest and to the point. SO'D needs to take a lot of credit for laying the foundations for Cotts' team.

I hope, the board have learned their lessons in that respect, and give Pearson the time to finish the project (unless we start on a downward trajectory at an alarming rate obviously). 

I think that most supporters are content in seeing the small steps of progress - young players emerging, a system being implemented, and the overpaid/unwanted being moved out, so long as there is that continual progress still. The football is getting better, results are better, whereas the SO'D team was more disjointed and had poorer players in it. That resulted in poorer performances, and results.

If Pearson does leave before his 3 year plan, then if we're savvy in his replacement, the next man could do a Cotts.