IGNORED

Match Report: City are finally back in Black(burn)

Olé

3 hours ago, Olé said:

City's desperate away run of 2 points in 33 and conceding 2 or more goals in 12 straight road trips deservedly came to an end up at playoff chasing Blackburn as a purposeful and resolute Robins withstood a second half rally from timid, out of form Blackburn - and then saved their 83rd minute penalty before claiming a 92nd winner and rare clean sheet.

Like QPR and Peterborough a half year ago in the end City will have felt lucky to take all three points away from home yet unlike both those games this was far more deserving - easily the better side for much of the game until a ridiculously bad cameo from sub Massengo handed Rovers' initiative and seemingly the game - but somehow fate had other plans.

A feature of Blackburn's low confidence had been a side often throwing themselves to the floor up in attacking positions hoping for respite. The referee was not fooled but that pressure for a decision built to a late penalty for sub Dack, Bentley saving easily, before Williams - with DaSilva standout performers - teeing Weimann's stunning volleyed winner.

City started in a back 5 with the top scorer himself at right wing back, but it was they that settled fastest, inside just two minutes Semenyo broke down the left channel, left a marker for dead to get into space before slashing across the face of goal but beyond the far post. He'd have a shout for a penalty minutes later as Scott led a sweeping move.

For Blackburn to finally get into the game it took Khadra dribbling the ball out of play off a cut in from the left wing - linesman and ref oblivious but a succession of corners for the home side followed, Lenihan forcing a point blank Bentley save low down to his left from a right wing corner from Rothwell. The hosts has finally started to show a rare threat. 

Midway through the half Semenyo robbed a Blackburn defender out on the right and cut it across where Chris Martin forced a corner. City by far the more probing and repeatedly the first to every ball led by Rob Atkinson. In the 34th minute Semenyo spread out left to DaSilva whose centre was half cleared by Martin and Semenyo half volleyed over.

By now City were simply wasting their clear advantage - on 42 Scott overhit a free kick into the box after Martin was pulled down, a typically soft end to a big chance. Yet inside half time Blackburn nearly scored, a quick ball over the top put Pickering in behind our defenders to draw a defender and square to Costello but Weimann raced over to hijack.

The Austrian's tackle saved a clear goal at the half and within 45 minutes he'd also bag a winner. But first Khadra would get booked for diving (Blackburn's main tactic). Almost immediately Atkinson gave away a second ball on our left and made it worse by failing to react to the runner at a loose ball - Travis able to fire over from the edge of the box.

A shy Blackburn side were by now moving the ball faster and carved through our back line on 53 to steal in from the left to force a Bentley point blank save from Khadra, Scott hooking clear with a rebound lined up. City were increasingly wasteful and squandered two balls over the top, the hosts forcing the second Bentley save - this time from Travis.

Massengo was sent on for Scott - surprising change with the returning James still on - yet City by now were ragged as the impetuous and chaotic midfielder raced round time and again giving it away to opponents - easily his worst performance in a City shirt. Pearson would send on Nahki Wells for willing runner Semenyo as the visitors looked for an answer.

As Blackburn rallied the game had become an end to end battle - sub Wells wasting a shot after good work by DaSilva allowing a break by Rovers for Khadra to force a save, City breaking again only for Massengo to miscue once more and send the hosts away who between diving for desperate fouls put Khadra clear on goal to force another save.

Midway into the second half City's star man DaSilva again got in behind Blackburn's right back to cross for Weimann to head back at the far post yet sub Wells couldn't swivel in the six yard box at close range and gave it away. Suddenly Dack was on for the hosts whose home fans finally made some noise.

With 20 left and Massengo the weak link in a retreating midfield, dangerman Khadra hit the crossbar with a cross shot from the left touchline after a poorly defended throw in, five minutes later Williams found room from City's left and squared to where Wells was able to cushion back for James on the edge of the area to force a low and stinging save.

By now Blackburn had been looking to dive in the box for penalties all game and finally the referee relented on weight of evidence - the abysmal Massengo pushing van Hecke in a crowded box from a cross yet sub Dack fired to Bentley's left and he claimed. Soon after Rovers swept down the left and fired across goal for a tap in but City clung on.

Saving the spot kick should have helped to secure a deserved point having redoubled away fan voices - and yet there was more to come as City continued to take the game to their fussy give-us-a-FK oriented players. With minutes left Williams skipped through their back line with teammates pouring into the box yet Martin, teed up to finish, fell over.

Heading into injury time a quick reverse put DaSilva away into room on the left but his deep cross over everyone saw Williams with space and time at the far post smash wildly over with the goal at his mercy. That should have been it but with home fans begging the ref for free kicks a late break towards the small bank of travelling fans was decisive.

Ewood Park had been quiet but the noise had slowly ratcheted up as Blackburn dived about and howled to be awarded fouls - the referee didn't blink and several minutes into time added on City again went direct finally finding Williams on the turn from the left to loop over the box to where "wing back" Andi Weimann unleashed a ridiculous winner.

Bentley 9 

Klose 7

Cundy 8

Atkinson 7

DaSilva 8

Weimann 7

Williams 8

James 7

Scott 7

Martin 7

Semenyo 7

Massengo 3

Wells 6

Semenyo 7 ??.......and Weimann the same !!??

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

@Olé nice one.

My scores:

Bentley 8

Cundy 7

Klose 8

Atkinson 6 (but grew into it first start back)

Weimann 7 (great goal, made up for some poor positional play in last 25 mins)

Scott 5

James 7 

Williams 7

Dasilva 7 (his best performance of the season)

Martin 7

Semenyo 6

Subs:

Massengo 4

Wells 7 (very sharp)

• Like 2

Delighted to see us get another unexpected win.

Following the Birmingham debacle and the absence of Kalas I expected us to get a good hiding.   " Ooh Matron ! "

How is it that we lose to teams we are expected to beat, and win against those we expect to beat us?

As per the famous Churchillian statement regarding Russia (somewhat distorted) - Bristol City are an enigma, wrapped in a paradox, filled with conundrums, riddles and mystery.

• Like 3

For once, @Olé , not entirely how I saw the game.

Yes, we were always in the game (unlike Forest for example) and yes we threatened, but I didn’t feel we were as much on top as the impression your report gives. You could see why Blackburn aren’t high scorers, but on another day we’d have conceded one or two yesterday.

Their constant diving was annoying, and it was good to see a referee not fall for it - at least not every time. But they had other threats in their bag. It still worried me how, with three big central defenders, we still allowed them to win so many first balls in the air, especially from set pieces.

That said, all three did well otherwise and Cundy especially who had to cover a lot of ground on that right side, getting very little support from Weimann first half. I think Pearson may have had words at half time.

Yes, Massengo was poor: but I didn’t feel he made quite as much of a negative impact as you suggest. Mainly because Scott wasn’t having his best game and seemed to be getting poorer himself as time went on.

I think Blackburn did us a favour by giving Dack the penalty. I said at the time (before the kick!) that he was the wrong choice: barely on the pitch 5 mins, after being out so long, and so much attention on him. 

All that said, certainly lots of positives for us, not least those last three points that should see us safe. James and Williams looked better than their recent woeful performances and Dasilva is getting back to his best. We kept our shape well yesterday and we stayed strong to the end - which we don’t always do. I must admit that in the final few minutes - with visions of Preston - I was screaming for us to settle for 0-0 and stop pushing forward so quickly and in such numbers all the time. So what do I know!

Agree with @Davefevs on the scores. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Delighted to see us get another unexpected win.

Following the Birmingham debacle and the absence of Kalas I expected us to get a good hiding.   " Ooh Matron ! "

How is it that we lose to teams we are expected to beat, and win against those we expect to beat us?

As per the famous Churchillian statement regarding Russia (somewhat distorted) - Bristol City are an enigma, wrapped in a paradox, filled with conundrums, riddles and mystery.

Blackburn are not necessarily this year' a possession heavy, attack minded side, counter attack moreso and this can suit us when we are on the road especially.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Dave…our aerial battles as a team…quite a few along the touchline from throw-ins / attempted flick ons.

41BD2C29-8B55-49C1-AD22-02B39CECF24F.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Great stats for the centre halves. 

They are, but like all stats, don’t always tell the whole picture! 

It was the set pieces that worried me: that may be more about organisation than about individual aerial battles. I don’t know how an “aerial battle” is defined, Dave, but presumably - to take an extreme example - if a corner comes in and the defending team is so disorganised that they leave an attacking player completely unmarked and with a free header, then that doesn’t even count as an “aerial battle”. 

The class save that Bentley made in the first half being a case in point. And that header goes a yard either side and it’s in.

For me, we still looked vulnerable to set pieces: either we didn’t get close enough to make it a battle, or we lost the really key ones.

I don’t want to over react. There were other times we cleared it and did get there first. We just need to do that every time - and that’s been  problem all season. 

57 minutes ago, italian dave said:

They are, but like all stats, don’t always tell the whole picture!

agree

It was the set pieces that worried me: that may be more about organisation than about individual aerial battles. I don’t know how an “aerial battle” is defined, Dave, but presumably - to take an extreme example - if a corner comes in and the defending team is so disorganised that they leave an attacking player completely unmarked and with a free header, then that doesn’t even count as an “aerial battle”.

correct. Corner pic below. Generally they delivered good corners yesterday, so lots of oohs and aahs but only Lenihan’s header was a chance.  We competed pretty well.  Sometimes you have to accept pressured defending if the ball in is good.  Bit like Eliasson, created pressure but we didn’t always get our head on it.

The class save that Bentley made in the first half being a case in point. And that header goes a yard either side and it’s in.

For me, we still looked vulnerable to set pieces: either we didn’t get close enough to make it a battle, or we lost the really key ones.

Since Xmas we’ve not been very good defensively from corners.  Up until then we’d been really good.  Might Atkinson make a difference (generally)?  Yesterday we had 3 really big-uns (Klose, Atkinson and Cundy.

I don’t want to over react. There were other times we cleared it and did get there first. We just need to do that every time - and that’s been  problem all season.

Yep, there are goals from corners that are very avoidable (last week v Brum), but sometimes the delivery is perfect and not a lot you can do about it.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

Crosses (not corners) below 15 attempted / 4 found their man.  Corners 7 attempted / 1 successful.  Lenihan’s header.

We were at least resilient yesterday, but plenty of work to do.
BDE8C482-869F-463F-A5B3-1D27C18B08E1.thumb.jpeg.d5d8a17a3db9e2dc75e54ef12d5eaef1.jpeg

• Thanks 1