IGNORED

How long has Pearson got left?

Negan

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

What we haven't mentioned is that we're to some extent up for sale.

So while it does seem that City are going to trapped in bottom half purgatory for the foreseeable future, things still could change.

That might involve spending power (or just a promise of spending power!)

It could involve a new management team, or the support NP needs.

There could be a new buzz of excitement at Ashton Gate but could also further desenfranchise the purist City fans.

But surely the Lansdowns will eventually find a buyer, albeit they may need to change their own terms of that deal to get it done ?‍♂️

In the meantime, with the current state of our squad and finances, I don't see much point in changing the gaffer.

Good point.   New ownership might create a more positive optimistic feel about the club and is urgently needed.    Lansdown Junior is an accident waiting to happen and his dad has surely made enough from the real estate wheeler dealing to exit gracefully and wealthily.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mendip City said:

That all makes a lot of sense to me…. Trouble is, consolidation feels a long way off to me and I fear it’ll happen in League One. Papa John Pizza ? Cup and a Bristol Derby anyone????? ??? 

i tell you what - I would not fancy a local derby at the moment.    Hate to say it but what is happening over there shows what can be done with a certain mentality of leadership and Nige could do with a bit more fire in the belly.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Daniro said:

Good point.   New ownership might create a more positive optimistic feel about the club and is urgently needed.    Lansdown Junior is an accident waiting to happen and his dad has surely made enough from the real estate wheeler dealing to exit gracefully and wealthily.

I’ve never known it so quiet.

New Hummel deal, season tickets on sale….pretty much silence.  Maybe they’ve appointed @And Its Smithinto the media team ???

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve never known it so quiet.

New Hummel deal, season tickets on sale….pretty much silence.  Maybe they’ve appointed @And Its Smithinto the media team ???

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

I am reluctant to extend this thread, however, this is the second time in the last 18 months where I have felt we are in a quiet period (lack of information making it to the public domain). This is often indicative of a major change of strategic ownership being discussed at the top level! 

Last time Ashton went to Ipswich , they were sold and SL announced he was looking for investors, as much as a signal we were up for sale you could give. 

My take there was Mr Ashton was tasked, found a buyer, but not for us. Not much else fits what we know. 

However all the ballyhoo around Derby has certainly attracted attention and despite what some think, Bristol Sport is quite a tasty little company for any international sports investor. 

Just my take.

There are plenty on here with MnA experience or are in the industry and I do wonder what some others believe? But not on this god forsaken dreadful string! 

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

They misquoted him.  He said he didn’t work in the Recruitment Team - he did not say that he wasn’t involved in the recruitment process.  He most certainly is.

The actual words were "I am not in the recruitment department". That is literally true of course, if pedantic, but he seemed keen to shut down discussion on the matter.

I did not claim btw that he said he was not involved in recruitment.

He confirmed again that we do not plan to appoint a head of recruitment. The question nobody is going to ask is whether that is his decision, Gould's, Steve's or a mutual one. What if for example he wanted one and the club said no?

When asked if he could expand on what he had apparently said in the past about tweaking recruitment he just said no and that was down to the club - iirc he used the phrase "club policy".

It's hard to tell with Nigel as he is so irascible but these are more potential signs of a disconnect with the club if you factor in also his (correct) description of Steve's previous transfer policy as bonkers and his response to Jon saying we are underperforming.

Since then we seem to have had complete silence from the club, as others have pointed out.

Those who want Nigel out may get their wish perhaps but they may not get the pleasure of him being sacked.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

20 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Kalas has played rb in a promotion side. 13 games the entire season. 6 years ago. Since when, he's never played there again. Mobility? he is the quickest player in the side. His straight line speed when he gets going is excellent - for one off sprints. But it's nothing to do with speed whatsoever. It's about stamina. Up and down, up and down. You've seen how full backs play these days, right? Kalas the new Kyle Walker is he? If you think he's got the physical attributes for that, I'd think again. Never mind the fact he doesn't have the technical attributes - you can see him swinging pinpoint crosses in and firing shots at goal, can you? And no thoughts on the fact playing Kalas at RB would have left us at some points this season with who, exactly, at CB? In the absence of Baker, Klose who hasn't been here, Atkinson unavailable. We played our best football with O’Leary. That was solely down to O'Leary, was it? Funny still shipping 2-3 goals with Bentley. He has made no difference with triple the wages. O'Leary is Bentley's equal as a shot stopper? Right you are.

That midfield has given us the best midfield display we have had all season. We’d be a much better watch and no worse off. The single best addition we could make in the summer is a top quality CDM. Every decent side requires one, even the Man Citys and Barcelonas of this world. You pick a midfield of 3 ACMs, naive young ones at that. No experience, no physicality, no defensive nous. Fantasy football bullshit. 

Also are you suggesting we need more Chris Martin’s? Where did I say that?  Oh yeah, I didn't. So we can ignore the remainder of your nonsense. If so I think you need the mental help mate. It is the likes of James and Martin that make us so easy to play against. James can’t cover ground in midfield and no one is afraid of Martin closing down. The fact you are slating Kalas’ mobility and bigging up Martin screams 0 football IQ but hey ho you aren’t the only one on here without a clue

You've been dissing Pearson for a while now. I can put up with that if  someone comes up with credible reasons. Your post, in particular the team you suggested he should be picking, is the oppposite of credible. As I said, stick to the Football Manager.

11 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Guess I’ll have to bow down to your superior knowledge ? I gave you credible answers you don’t agree. Your insults show I got you rattled. Have a glass of wine and read a book from this century you dinosaur. Their young so can’t play in midfield. Never read such utter rubbish. Plenty of sides don’t play with an out and out cdm. But if doesn’t mimic the 1970 promotion side it can’t be good can it? 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, supercidered said:

Loads of great points on this well trodden topic. No point in me typing what I agree with and don't agree with.

For me it just feels like we are now just 'also rans' rather than anything else. I just can't see that changing any time soon not because of Pearson but because we were so far gone i.e. the rot has been so deeply set that it will take years to fix rather than a summer of wheeling and dealing. 

I'm not being pessimistic here, I'm being a realist. I just hope that SL is of the same mind because whether one is an NP fan or not, then to make a change at any point in the the next 2 years to me would be a wrong move. Of course NP may choose to walk at some point and that to me would be as disastrous as him being fired.

I would settle for a couple of consolidations of mid-table finishes even after this season. That should be enough time to cut out the rot and start building towards something that sees us challenging at the right end of the table. I know this amount of time will be too long for some fans but so much damage has been done and it's going to take an almighty effort and time to get us back on an even keel again. 

I am struggling here to understand why you believe NPs appointment is likely to be any better "given time" when none of SL`s prev selections have actually been any better, even when some were given many millions to spend.

Given that, in his first year we have lost twice as many games as we have won. The areas in which NP has brought in his men seem to be now to be our worse areas with complete panic reigning in the defence/midfield. Hardly fills you with confidence.

Seems to me the "deep set" rot will continue until the person who selected/approved all our his managers moves on, you must also remember that this has happened since the best manager we have had recently SC, was sacked by him and Dawe ever since then we have regressed imo.

1 hour ago, gl2 said:

I am struggling here to understand why you believe NPs appointment is likely to be any better "given time" when none of SL`s prev selections have actually been any better, even when some were given many millions to spend.

Given that, in his first year we have lost twice as many games as we have won. The areas in which NP has brought in his men seem to be now to be our worse areas with complete panic reigning in the defence/midfield. Hardly fills you with confidence.

Seems to me the "deep set" rot will continue until the person who selected/approved all our his managers moves on, you must also remember that this has happened since the best manager we have had recently SC, was sacked by him and Dawe ever since then we have regressed imo.

To be fair LJ’s first 18 months were decent but he was sacked at least a year too late, Holden was a crazy appointment, our biggest mistake was not getting the right manager in last summer when there were a few decent ones available 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

19 hours ago, DaveF said:

Hes a bit of an odd choice for blind panic though? Comes with a reputation of being a very prickly character, you'd think blind panic we'd find ourselves someone who is more of a 'yes man' as not to rock the boat?

The boat was taking on water.  We needed someone who knew how to fix it.

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Yep, agree a good post.

I’m happy to stomach another season like this, many aren’t, as is our choice.  At the end of 22/23 we should no longer have any player here who isn’t wanted here. FFP won’t be an issue, and then we hopefully see the growth from the foundations laid.  It might happen next season, but we need to get this summer out of the way first, and see where we are.

But we can’t afford to go down.

If our board (I mean owner really) can’t stomach it or doesn’t like a bit of “feedback” from Pearson, they should act now, but I’d seriously question why they chose him in the first place?  Maybe the truth hurts?

I do feel like SL has lost his appetite anyway.  The sooner he finds new investors the better.

Footnote: I’m resigning myself to Pearson not being here in August

Killer comment in your footnote Dave.  Why are you thinking like that?

Do you think Pearson won't get what he wants and will walk?  Or be sacked?

10 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Killer comment in your footnote Dave.  Why are you thinking like that?

Do you think Pearson won't get what he wants and will walk?  Or be sacked?

Not easy to articulate, just a combo of things that might all add up.

I think SL will react, they’ll have a disagreement and Nige will tell him some more home truths and tell him “I’m off, I don’t need this shit”.  He’ll leave honourably, with no pay off and enjoy his health.

And it would not surprise me if Lee Johnson takes us into next season.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Robin 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think SL will react, they’ll have a disagreement and Nige will tell him some more home truths and tell him “I’m off, I don’t need this shit”.  He’ll leave honourably, with no pay off and enjoy his health.

Who have you been talking to ?

5 hours ago, gl2 said:

I guess my point is that the 'definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results' I can't take credit for that as it was Albert Einstein.

So unless SL sells (I'm not convinced that will happen in any definition of short term) then even if he gets rid of NP or NP walks then this quote applies. 

As far as NP is concerned I actually trust him more about the football side of things than SL. So, as things stand I feel that if NP stays for say the next 2 seasons we will be in a better position than we are now. Just my opinion mind.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Waconda said:

Who have you been talking to ?

Nobody, just viewing from afar, and the silence is deafening.  That’s what gets me.  No contract stuff, whether senior or academy players, yet we know academy players have heard their fate.  It feels like “get as many season tickets sold before an announcement”.

I hope it’s just all in my head….i think we need at least another season of Pearson, it’s taking longer than I thought.

(…..and I like a bit of a conspiracy theory. ?)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And back to square one we go.

Just now, KegCity said:

And back to square one we go.

Maybe, but I’d be prepared to see LJ in action under RG.  We can then judge him without excuse.

At the end of the day, I’ll back any City manager, I’ll praise and criticise objectively as I see fit.  Whoever is in charge needs support, the right set up, professionals, etc to succeed.  Mark Ashton was not a good fit (polite).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe, but I’d be prepared to see LJ in action under RG.  We can then judge him without excuse.

At the end of the day, I’ll back any City manager, I’ll praise and criticise objectively as I see fit.  Whoever is in charge needs support, the right set up, professionals, etc to succeed.  Mark Ashton was a git (polite).

A cheeky little edit here Dave.

• Robin 1

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

At the end of the day, I’ll back any City manager, I’ll praise and criticise objectively as I see fit.  Whoever is in charge needs support, the right set up, professionals, etc to succeed.  Mark Ashton was not a good fit (polite).

If Richard Gould can magically improve LJ's tactics and man management and stop him coming out with embarrassing statements to the media then great. Lee's hit and miss transfer record wasn't the main issue for me.

Can't talk about needing to change the culture, the rot being too deep etc etc and then rehire one of the people responsible for those issues.

Edited by KegCity
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

If not incompetent blagger comes back you can shut the doors. One of the worst mangers in our long list of terrible managers. To work in the academy fine, but nothing more. 

28 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Exactly no more poison in the club .

23 minutes ago, KegCity said:

If Richard Gould can magically improve LJ's tactics and man management and stop him coming out with embarrassing statements to the media then great. Lee's hit and miss transfer record wasn't the main issue for me.

Can't talk about needing to change the culture, the rot being too deep etc etc and then rehire one of the people responsible for those issues.

All very valid comments, some of which I agree with.

As I said, it just wouldn’t surprise me, he’s “very out there” in the media at the mo’, and I could see SL picking up on that.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

blimey dave i just spat me cuppa out

i think the problem is we go for managers that i dont think we relate to or they dont relate to us.i wanted to see big nige do well but i feel he just looks like a man going through the motions.due to his health concerns i think he would do a better job upstairs with a younger up and coming man underneath.i will stick my neck out here as i have before a man i would love to see given a chance is garth awinsworth.

i know people will ask why so my reasons would be 1-works on a shoestring budget if not no budget 2-seems to find some gems out of lower league levels 3-gets the best out of all his players 4- very good with tactics and 5 most important just seems a great bloke and brims with confidence which i always feels rubs off on even the most negative of fans.oh forgot and we could also set a trend of showing are big hairy chests :laugh:

please exscuse my spelling

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, big dosser said:

i will stick my neck out here as i have before a man i would love to see given a chance is garth awinsworth.

I like Ainsworth too.

I also like Paul Warne.  Neither are massively young, both are 48.

Of the younger bunch, I like Duff.  Liam Manning has a lot of fans.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I like Ainsworth too.

I also like Paul Warne.  Neither are massively young, both are 48.

Of the younger bunch, I like Duff.  Liam Manning has a lot of fans.

Think all these names are valid, but often the step up is a struggle for managers as it is with players. Championship requires an odd blend of a bit Prem, a bit League 1, which is, unsurprisingly, tricky to find. Quite a big challenge to find someone prepared to work with the constraints that will be in place. Think we need to be careful what we wish for if NP leaves (I know you’re not in the NP out camp) for next season, probably minimum one more season of dirty work to be done a la O’Driscoll and then hopefully we’re much better set up and a more attractive proposition to be taken forward. 

• Like 3