IGNORED

How long has Pearson got left?

Negan

1 minute ago, Superjack said:

The remit of anybody given the Sunderland job in League One is to get promotion.

He didn't. 

Just like he didn't here.

He got sacked in January - when they were 3rd!! Not sure any team in the history of the football league has been promoted by then 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Wonder Coach inherited Cotts Promotion side , plus Kodja (And had us in a real relegation scrap 18 months into his ‘reign’, despite signings and Abraham’s goals)

Pearson inherited a demotivated , shambolic squad , lacking leaders or cohesion ....... the squad left behind by ...........Johnson & Holden

To be fair that’s incredibly selective. 

He inherited a side who were already in a relegation scrap and left them in mid table, with some highs and lows along the way. Yes financially him (but mainly Ashton) screwed us over, but positionally we haven’t seen anything better than under LJ as a club since his dad, 13 years ago

• Like 4

5 hours ago, JBFC II said:

To be fair that’s incredibly selective. 

He inherited a side who were already in a relegation scrap and left them in mid table, with some highs and lows along the way. Yes financially him (but mainly Ashton) screwed us over, but positionally we haven’t seen anything better than under LJ as a club since his dad, 13 years ago

I think he was referring to the Tammy season where we survived the game before last day of the season.

I think a lot have forgotten just a how dire LJ’s first full season was

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Andrew_V1 said:

I think he was referring to the Tammy season where we survived the game before last day of the season.

I'm pretty sure that the game you refer to was NOT his first full season, but the (less than) half season when he took over from Cotts, where we were in the relegation zone and heading for an immediate return back down to League 1, before he guided us back to safety (with a little help from Pembo in the first instance).

It would be more accurate to suggest that a lot have forgotten just how dire the first half of our first Championship season was under Cotts!!!! 

Love him, like him, dislike him or hate him, we NEVER looked like relegation after that under LJs tenure - in fact, I don't think we ever dropped into the bottom 3.

Whatever one's opinion is of LJ, our final league position improved EVERY season year on year under his tenure until his sacking. The league table doesn't lie.

I thought LJs first FULL season wasn't that bad really - just the frustration of falling away towards the end - which became something of a trademark of his.

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
Add words

3 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I'm pretty sure that the game you refer to was NOT his first full season, but the (less than) half season when he took over from Cotts, where we were in the relegation zone and heading for an immediate return back down to League 1, before he guided us back to safety (with a little help from Pembo in the first instance).

It would be more accurate to suggest that a lot have forgotten just how dire the first half of our first Championship season was under Cotts!!!! 

Love him, like him, dislike him or hate him, we NEVER looked like relegation after that under LJs tenure - in fact, I don't think we ever dropped into the bottom 3.

Whatever one's opinion is of LJ, our final league position improved EVERY season year on year under his tenure until his sacking. The league table doesn't lie.

I thought LJs first FULL season wasn't that bad really - just the frustration of falling away towards the end - which became something of a trademark of his.

Nope his first full season we survived on the penultimate game by winning away at Brighton.

The first full season we started well results wise but had to come back from behind virtually every week then the wheels fell off.

Same season we had the famous interview with SL refusing to sack him for a horrendous run basically saying it’s my toy I put more money in.

The following seasons cup exploits have really clouded peoples memory as that first full season was an absolute shambles 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Think you need to recheck your memories

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andrew_V1 said:

I’m aware what season he was referring to. I still think it’s very selective from the poster though, totally ignoring where we were at when LJ took over and even where we ended up at the end of that season. 

There was clear improvements on the pitch (aided by the financial support no doubt), even when comparing the 16/17 season to the 15/16, under Cotts, where we were looking incredibly likely to go down

23 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Those were the days! And I hope you don’t mind me saying, but your forum name really should have been a character often referenced but never seen in Only Fools And Horses ... ??

Ha ha! I'm not sure what Paddy the Greek has to do with it though ?

I was - as you probably realised - being deliberately provocative. But at the same time I think @Davefevs made a good point and I don't buy into this whole 'everything LJ did=bad, everything NP does=good' AND vice versa mantra that seems to drive so much of the discussion on the subject.

They are both just the same as other managers - they have their strengths, they have their weaknesses. They have things going on that we probably know little about and they are put in positions often outside their control that influence how they perform. 

LJ - I think increasingly evident in retrospect - suffered from having to work with MA. NP suffers from being appointed to run a club that's for years been built around a style of football that's alien to him. Not being critical of either style - just making the point. 

And I'm not having a go at you specifically either - but I just felt that using league positions as the stick to beat LJ with was perhaps one of the less appropriate - if there's one thing LJ objectively improved during his time here it was our league position. Top half of the Championship for more than half his time here, and the first manager I can remember for best part of 40 years whose got us to an "established" position in one of the top two leagues - by which I mean not on most people's list of likely relegation candidates at the start of each season!

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Ha ha! I'm not sure what Paddy the Greek has to do with it though ?

I was - as you probably realised - being deliberately provocative. But at the same time I think @Davefevs made a good point and I don't buy into this whole 'everything LJ did=bad, everything NP does=good' AND vice versa mantra that seems to drive so much of the discussion on the subject.

They are both just the same as other managers - they have their strengths, they have their weaknesses. They have things going on that we probably know little about and they are put in positions often outside their control that influence how they perform. 

LJ - I think increasingly evident in retrospect - suffered from having to work with MA. NP suffers from being appointed to run a club that's for years been built around a style of football that's alien to him. Not being critical of either style - just making the point. 

And I'm not having a go at you specifically either - but I just felt that using league positions as the stick to beat LJ with was perhaps one of the less appropriate - if there's one thing LJ objectively improved during his time here it was our league position. Top half of the Championship for more than half his time here, and the first manager I can remember for best part of 40 years whose got us to an "established" position in one of the top two leagues - by which I mean not on most people's list of likely relegation candidates at the start of each season!

Yep, not the messiah, not a naughty boy either.  Certain things bugged the hell out of me, other bits I thought he was good at.

• Like 2