IGNORED

Pearson comments- might be a quiet summer

Mr Popodopolous

54 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

What can they sell next year though Mr P? I appreciate they're selling to their owner / a big fan, so it's understandable but they can't 'sell' anything in order to comply, if they're in the same position, in 12 months.

False economy isn't it?

Oh totally agree from an FFP angle Ska. Just thinking he won't leave them in the lurch solvency wise.

Suppose if required depending on valuation, players such as Bursik, Souttar, Campbell have been linked with the PL before. All academy products so pure profit depending on how they've held their saleable value. £10-15m for Nathan Collins summer 2021.

They could look at Wilmot and perhaps even Lewis Baker as having sell on value. Latter only joined in Jan, quite cheaply I believe so maybe he could be 'flipped'. Perhaps even renew or take up option on then sell Nick Powell (joined on a free so pure profit).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Like Williams doesn't add anything for us and wouldn't be shocked to see him go tbh. 

Williams is one of our most effective players, the issue is he's not often available. But when he does play he adds so much to the team!! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Malago said:

Jed Wallace? Who is OOC this summer.

Would think we were far more likely to be after Murray Wallace myself, as Jed Wallace will have huge interest from far better placed clubs financially than us.

2 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Williams when fit hasnt shaken any trees at all, much like James actually disrupts the way we're trying to play, makes it too slow. He's had one good game that I've seen him in.  Add in availability and possible worth to a relegated from the Champs or promoted too the championship team, then why would we keep him? 

James is just weird. Great for Coventry and others absolute bobbins for us and barring set peices an utter disappointment. Like Williams doesn't add anything for us and wouldn't be shocked to see him go tbh. 

Your proposal to get rid of Joe Williams (our best midfielder), Matty James (experienced), along with King, Bakinson and the likely loss of Massengo and maybe Alex Scott leaves us with no midfield at all. Not exactly the best plan.

Joe W just needs fitness - he is a quality player for me.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

13 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Your proposal to get rid of Joe Williams (our best midfielder), Matty James (experienced), along with King, Bakinson and the likely loss of Massengo and maybe Alex Scott leaves us with no midfield at all. Not exactly the best plan.

Joe W just needs fitness - he is a quality player for me.

Plus James signed a 3 year deal, so he’s going nowhere & it is fantasy stuff to think that anyone will sign Williams (10 starts in almost 2 full seasons now) at present, no matter how good or not anyone thinks he is.

• Like 3

James and Williams, keeping them is a must surely. Obviously every player has their price but they won't generate huge fees and may cost more to replace effectively.

Also a case for Vyner owing to versatility and relatively low cost.

King will be going I suspect, Bakinson we would like to sell but can we guarantee? Same goes for Moore.

Palmer, who will take him as it stands.

Baker will be all about the fitness.

2 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Tbf to the "idiots," we did finish 8th and 11th under those two and contested a League Cup semi final, so they'll be struggling to grasp why Ashton and LJ were rubbish, and Big Nige is doing a good job. Unless you explain to them, and not ignore them.

Because the club don't explain these things. The club, like all clubs, are not open and transparent. They are economical with the truth. And pretty disingenuous at times. 

And it's also possible that they - the club - don't understand fully either, see JL saying "come on Nige, this is shite! We should be not-shite."

Or, Nige is shite, and the "idiots" know something we don't. 

We're more open about it than a lot of clubs have been and are tbh, Gould and NP between them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think that the general consensus is that we're certainly within to 2020/21 and well within to 2021/22. 4 year cycle due to Covid, profit from 2018/19 still on the books...

It's to 2022/23 where the potential issue arises. The starting point sees that profit drop off to be replaced by a loss in the Covid period (combined average of 2019/20 and 2020/21), in FFP terms a negative swing of £25-30m. (£15m FFP profit to £10-15m FFP loss. I make the latter- £14m).

Maybe a shortfall of £4-5m as it stands heading into 2022/23?

ie

1) Combined average of 2019/20 and 2020/21

2) 2021/22

3) 2022/23

Mr P….here’s my latest “simplified” summary for City.

DCCE5802-4A26-42B5-A3D0-FCB785A85DB2.thumb.jpeg.d9c5a3ce86dcceeac8101a128bef2e30.jpeg

Ive not plugged 23/24 into this version yet, but we’ll inside £39m.  Likelihood is by that season we are following the new UEFA model which is more akin to SCMP.

4 hours ago, BLRed said:

Could call it conspiracy but I wonder if kalas is not actually injured but being ‘rested’ to allow us to see if cundy is up to it prior to kalas being sold in the summer. His sale would be significant to reduce amortisation and reduce wage bill being one of the biggest earners.

just removing him, o’dowda and wells off the books by various means would allow some good wriggle room with salary to compete for the better freebies out there and avoid us having to sell off our prized assets (Scott, semenyo, massengo) immediately.

to note, if any prized assets are sold, massengo obviously to be the likeliest due to contract which could provide a small amount of transfer kitty to work with.

kinda wish the season ended now so we can just get on with reshaping the squad

You wouldn’t be the only person to think the same.  I suspect he is carrying an injury, but I reckon if he needed to play, he could.  No ITK, just guesswork.

The whole summer stuff is just so hard to predict though.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

20 hours ago, maxjak said:

That'll get them Queuing round the block for Season tickets.......Great PR  from "Chuckle  Brother " Pearson? ..... That's a coincidence, because I   won't be spending any money either.

I can understand times are hard but this isn't the answer, If us fans don't spend money then dont expect the club to spend either. If we can afford a season ticket then get one we need bigger attendances at the gate we need to generate money for Pearson to spend we can't keep expecting lansdown to find the money.The more money coming into the club the better and we need to play are part. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You wouldn’t be the only person to think the same.  I suspect he is carrying an injury, but I reckon if he needed to play, he could.  No ITK, just guesswork.

The whole summer stuff is just so hard to predict though.

Occasionally wondered the same about Kalas myself, wonder if Massengo might also be getting protected for a sale.

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Occasionally wondered the same about Kalas myself, wonder if Massengo might also be getting protected for a sale.

No surprise for me if we lose those two this summer plus maybe one of Wells or Palmer.

Pearson said a few weeks ago that his priority is a Centre Half. I suspect he has someone lined up.

32 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

No surprise for me if we lose those two this summer plus maybe one of Wells or Palmer.

Pearson said a few weeks ago that his priority is a Centre Half. I suspect he has someone lined up.

I'd sooner Palmer went than Wells personally but needs must dictates at least one might need to?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Street red said:

I can understand times are hard but this isn't the answer, If us fans don't spend money then dont expect the club to spend either. If we can afford a season ticket then get one we need bigger attendances at the gate we need to generate money for Pearson to spend we can't keep expecting lansdown to find the money.The more money coming into the club the better and we need to play are part. 

After 30 years of playing and paying my part, home and away........ I just     feel that i am no longer getting value for money.  So instead of a season ticket, I will be picking my games for next season.  It will be interesting to see how the season ticket sales go?.  I appreciate City are going through financial constraints   (Aren't we all?) but Pearson stating that we will not be spending any money during the summer, especially when it is quite possible that players may be sold, and percentages may be forthcoming from the selling of ex-players,  is misleading and poor PR...........IMHO.

As for me spending my money, so the club can be more financially solvent?  I have seen enough money squandered by the club I support, during the last 5 years to last me a lifetime?  Maybe somebody can give Mark Ashton a bell and see if he's got any spare dosh? ?

34 minutes ago, maxjak said:

After 30 years of playing and paying my part, home and away........ I just     feel that i am no longer getting value for money.  So instead of a season ticket, I will be picking my games for next season.  It will be interesting to see how the season ticket sales go?.  I appreciate City are going through financial constraints   (Aren't we all?) but Pearson stating that we will not be spending any money during the summer, especially when it is quite possible that players may be sold, and percentages may be forthcoming from the selling of ex-players,  is misleading and poor PR...........IMHO.

As for me spending my money, so the club can be more financially solvent?  I have seen enough money squandered by the club I support, during the last 5 years to last me a lifetime?  Maybe somebody can give Mark Ashton a bell and see if he's got any spare dosh? ?

Why is it misleading?

Doesn’t want to sell his best players, so assuming that is the case, there’s little / no money to spend.

Re poor PR, playing Devil’s advocate, is it any worse than saying “we’re going for promotion” and then wasting money on players that can’t get you there.  Some might argue that was worse.

But like everyone else, you’re perfectly entitled to decide not to buy a Season Ticket.  If you don’t feel it’s VFM then completely get your decision.

• Like 1

He’s hardly going to come out and say we are going to spend big and get 8 players in!!

no one can be happy with this season and where we are, big changes in playing staff are needed and I can’t see SL accepting the same crap next season so he has to make some funds available otherwise NP is p****ing in the wind and that doesn’t mean selling the Crown Jewels again and ending up with journeymen 

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Why is it misleading?

Doesn’t want to sell his best players, so assuming that is the case, there’s little / no money to spend.

Re poor PR, playing Devil’s advocate, is it any worse than saying “we’re going for promotion” and then wasting money on players that can’t get you there.  Some might argue that was worse.

But like everyone else, you’re perfectly entitled to decide not to buy a Season Ticket.  If you don’t feel it’s VFM then completely get your decision.

Totally but can’t remember this sort of reaction when Terry Cooper used to sign a couple of free transfers..

• Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

The thing is, he's outlining a scenario that might occur. Better that than to oversell and be unable to deliver half of it?

We've seen overly optimistic managers. Rooney for a lot of Summer 2021 was a great case study when DCFC were under a full Embargo. The eventual parameters set really were quite onerous.

Monk at Birmingham in 2018 another example. They were bidding for Grabban etc under a soft Embargo, think Monk was reasonably relaxed. We all know how it ended.

NP didn't say we definitely won't be, I'll watch the press conference in full but as it stands now I expect we won't be able to. However when transfer profits and or sell on clauses materialise the dial will move positively.

You don’t need to pay transfer fees to put together a decent squad. Doesn’t concern me at all and it shouldn’t be used as an excuse next season.

Plenty of clubs have put together decent sides on minimal budget. Providing the recruitment is well planned, it shouldn’t really be a problem. 

How many money signings did the likes of Luton, Coventry, Huddersfield make between them this season? Not many I bet.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, Kibs said:

You don’t need to pay transfer fees to put together a decent squad. Doesn’t concern me at all and it shouldn’t be used as an excuse next season.

Plenty of clubs have put together decent sides on minimal budget. Providing the recruitment is well planned, it shouldn’t really be a problem. 

How many money signings did the likes of Luton, Coventry, Huddersfield make between them this season? Not many I bet.

With a brief look......Luton,     Coventry and Huddersfield, seem to have 7 players between them in on loan........which helps when not spending money on transfers..........but as Pearson doesn't believe in loans, that avenue is closed?     If Pearson can build a top 10 Championship side without spending any money on transfer fee's,  then I will   not just take my hat off to him, but also my coat and trousers!  Good luck to him, he'll need it?   

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Street red said:

Been there since 1975, apart from a year or two, I'll be there!

CTID

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

Lansdown has helped to  create the mess we are in by giving Johnson endless amounts to spend and picking an endless supply of sub standard managers. But fair play he bails us out of the mess he has caused by poor stewardship. And  after years of his reign, we have ended up in the state we are in now, some legacy.

Must admit Johnson waste a lot of Landsdowns money. I expect Steve got a bit excited when Johnson said we’d be playing European football within five years. 

15 hours ago, Street red said:

With respect the loss of £38.4m does make it pretty difficult to spend unless we can guarantee promotion to avoid falling foul of FFP, which we can’t.

Pearson is just telling us the unvarnished truth, he isn’t pointing any fingers but it is obvious that the previous regime plus current owner & chairman is badly culpable here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Street red said:

I bet you and your family and our parents and grand parents that have supported this great club have spent enough all ready. A season ticket purchase does not mean the club and Lansdown will spend.

We need to win week in and week out and the games we draw we need to make sure we have done everything we can possibly do. This will result in season ticket purchases and what snowbals from there.

inconsitencey is the team issue and not us City supporters

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Been there since 1975, apart from a year or two, I'll be there!

CTID

Love it I just have a feeling that Pearson will get in experience and quality this summer without spending a fortune.. I have more faith giving my money now than did under Ashton.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

With respect the loss of £38.4m does make it pretty difficult to spend unless we can guarantee promotion to avoid falling foul of FFP, which we can’t.

Pearson is just telling us the unvarnished truth, he isn’t pointing any fingers but it is obvious that the previous regime plus current owner & chairman is badly culpable here.

We pack the gate out each home game they have no excuse and yes I agree about the previous regime and current owner etc but turnover is the biggest thing and if we can get crowds of at least 25k(regularly) its a move forward. I just feel those not wanting to renew might miss out just have a good feeling about next season.. Pearson is honest and for me the best appointment since cotts and he will be honest in the transfer market.

• Thanks 1