IGNORED

15 years ago today (5th May 2007).

Milton Red

It was a great day. City have been promoted 5 times in my time watching them. This is the only time I've been there (no doubt the same for many others) to see it. 1984 and 2015 were away from home, 1990 and 1998 we were finally promoted without kicking a ball. Let's hope we're at home when we get promoted to the Premier League!

Edited by Kingswood Robin

It was sweeter than the other two promotions I’ve experienced because this one came after years and years of failure at the final hurdles.

2006 - missed playoffs on the penultimate game.

2005 - missed playoffs on the penultimate game.

2004 - Lost in playoff final after missing automatic promotion on the final day - we were top with about 10 games to go.

2003 - Lost in playoff semi final after missing automatic promotion by 3 points.

2002 - Missed the playoffs altogether after looking nailed on in March. Lost 5-1 at Blackpool to seal it.

2001 - On the fringe of the playoffs for most of the season, missed out. 

The early 2000s were characterized by some great football, some tidy young players and epic epic failure!

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

One of my top 5 City memories, the promotions in 1998 and in 2015 were achieved with much more style, but somehow this one meant so much more. The play off heartache back in 2004 was the lowest point of being a City fan for me, and this day finally laid that ghost to rest. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

It was sweeter than the other two promotions I’ve experienced because this one came after years and years of failure at the final hurdles.

2006 - missed playoffs on the penultimate game.

2005 - missed playoffs on the penultimate game.

2004 - Lost in playoff final after missing automatic promotion on the final day - we were top with about 10 games to go.

2003 - Lost in playoff semi final after missing automatic promotion by 3 points.

2002 - Missed the playoffs altogether after looking nailed on in March. Lost 5-1 at Blackpool to seal it.

2001 - On the fringe of the playoffs for most of the season, missed out. 

The early 2000s were characterized by some great football, some tidy young players and epic epic failure!

Weirdly I loved those years, maybe it's nostalgia as I was a young City fan back then but we were always involved at the top end of a league and the 'nearly' moments made me support the club even more to be successful.

Many memorable matches in that era

Great day. Boiling hot, promotion, mass pitch invasion and the players/management/coaches were up in the Williams stand after the game to salute the supporters. I was out with my mates in town that night and there were loads of City fans outside the Ostrich celebrating. 

35 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Weirdly I loved those years, maybe it's nostalgia as I was a young City fan back then but we were always involved at the top end of a league and the 'nearly' moments made me support the club even more to be successful.

Many memorable matches in that era

Weirdly it’s the most nostalgic city years for me too. Maybe it’s the last time the club felt truly together. The nearly years, the sun and cider soaked promotion party in 07, the championship play off season the following year. I also loved that era of Ashton Gate. It was one of the better atmospheres in the lower divisions at that point, and just a fun place to be. Felt like home. As someone has pointed out, maybe that’s down to the fact we actually remember a promotion taking place on home turf. 

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground

28 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Weirdly it’s the most nostalgic city years for me too. Maybe it’s the last time the club felt truly together. The nearly years, the sun and cider soaked promotion party in 07, the championship play off season the following year. I also loved that era of Ashton Gate. It was one of the better atmospheres in the lower divisions at that point, and just a fun place to be. Felt like home. As someone has pointed out, maybe that’s down to the fact we actually remember a promotion taking place on home turf. 

I'd never witnessed City in the 2nd tier until 2007 so anything before then (started following from 2001) it was a mystery how it would feel to be at that level.

We all knew the side was good enough to achieve promotion as well (title favourites most seasons) and i'd go as far to say we had sides under Danny Wilson which were just as talented as the side who finally did it, but didn't have the bottle to carry us through.

6 hours ago, Milton Red said:

City's promotion to the Championship after beating Rotherham United 3 - 1.

P5050007.JPG

P5050008.JPG

P5050009.JPG

P5050010.JPG

P5050011.JPG

P5050012.JPG

I remember that day clear as day, walking along Ashton Road and some nutter had the verve banging out their window on a massive PA. 

*** actually I'm not sure if that was ten years before, bah bugger it was there both times and it was fun *** 

Edited by Lorenzos Only Goal

34 minutes ago, Thornbury Red said:

football is crazy isnt it? - we were promoted with Scunthorpe who will be non league next year

& the press were saying if we were ‘serious’ about going up that season, we should’ve been beating Scunthorpe by more than 1 goal. Only for them to go up as champions!

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

& the press were saying if we were ‘serious’ about going up that season, we should’ve been beating Scunthorpe by more than 1 goal. Only for them to go up as champions!

To be fair I'm pretty sure there were posts on here saying the exact same thing!