IGNORED

14 years ago today….

Wanderingred

Wembley heartbreak.

What are your memories of the big day?

How did you feel before the game, were you a bag of nerves or more relaxed, knowing that we’d already massively surpassed expectations?

What were your thoughts afterwards? 

For me, I had stomach butterflies right from the morning. Stayed at a friends the previous night and walked through the Totterdown/Knowle area You could sense the excitement and anticipation in the air. Cars were beeping their horns when they drove past and saw my city colours. Pubs were already serving breakfast and people were outside singing City songs…

Took the Wembley express from Bristol Bus Station, with some cheeky cans of natch. Met my dad and we entered.. I was seated right at the top and upon walking out into the stadium from the concourse, it suddenly hit me.. could have been the beer, the vertigo from the height or the nerves but I had to run to the bathroom to vomit! ?

The first half seemed to go really slowly, but from the moment Windass scored, time sped up and the game was over in a flash. Almost surreal. I wasn’t too downbeat as we’d massively surpassed expectations and I was convinced that under GJ and SL, the Premier League was only a matter of time. My Dad was more cynical. He was utterly gutted, knowing this was our big chance over and that he may never again see city in the top flight during his lifetime. There’s still time for him though! 

Plenty of jibes from Gasheads at work the following week. but it was hard to take them seriously. They will never get anywhere near that 4th placed Championship finish.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 4

I drove to City of Derry Airport and caught the 9am flight to Stansted. The shuttle train and then tube got me to Wembley before midday! A couple of beers with my Bristol friends were had at Wetherspoons.

I used to be a member of another forum, The City List. Geoff 1955 was a fellow lister but had moved to the USA. I phoned him at half time but couldn't hear a word he said. There was either a bad signal or the noise from the concourse was drowning out any conversation.

I've tried to forget what happened on the pitch. The Dean Windass goal was made even worse as I had a fantastic view of it.

Another friend from Bristol gave me a lift back to Stoke where he now lived. A stopover and a flight back from East Midlands Airport the following morning rounded off my 24 hours back on the mainland.

Huge disappointment especially after beating Palace and City couldn’t manage a single shot on goal…….…..….:facepalm: 

We should have expected it as it was a typical Johnson performance that we’d seen all season - defensive,no flair or attacking intent dull and turgid.

We got what we deserved - nothing.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 2

18 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

The biggest f**k up in the history of Bristol City.

Johnson set us up so defensively and it backfired big time.

That day has cost us year of pain and heartache ever since.

I am of the opposite opinion in that had we gone up we would of ended up messing it up and buying players that were not up to it on high wages which we would then had trouble shifting after the inevitable Relegation.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Huge disappointment especially after beating Palace and City couldn’t manage a single shot on goal…….…..….:facepalm: 

We should have expected it as it was a typical Johnson performance that we’d seen all season - defensive,no flair or attacking intent dull and turgid.

Eh? Don't let your personal agenda get in the way, although we all know why.

Screenshot_20220524-080325_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Hmmm 1

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Do you ever not lie? Apart from the 6 shots on target and 8 off, you're right, not a single shot. 

Bristol City Team Statistics Hull City
0 Goals 1
0 1st Half Goals 1
6 Shots on Target 4
8 Shots off Target 7
5 Blocked Shots 3
2 Corners 1
17 Fouls 12
3 Offsides 1
1 Yellow Cards 1
0 Red Cards 0
72.1 Passing Success 70.1
15 Tackles 13
66.7 Tackles Success 61.5
50.9 Possession 49.1
60.8 Territorial Advantage 39.2

8 minutes ago, dREDful said:

Do you ever not lie? Apart from the 6 shots on target and 8 off, you're right, not a single shot. 

Bristol City Team Statistics Hull City
0 Goals 1
0 1st Half Goals 1
6 Shots on Target 4
8 Shots off Target 7
5 Blocked Shots 3
2 Corners 1
17 Fouls 12
3 Offsides 1
1 Yellow Cards 1
0 Red Cards 0
72.1 Passing Success 70.1
15 Tackles 13
66.7 Tackles Success 61.5
50.9 Possession 49.1
60.8 Territorial Advantage 39.2

Ignore the idiot troll , he came out with the same s**t only a few weeks back.

Hes a troll , pure and simple , and one with virtually zero knowledge of City past or present

• Flames 1

On 03/03/2022 at 19:50, Robbored said:

I was at Wembley that disappointing day and the play off final was voted the most dullest ever……City never managed a shot on goal and Hull managed one - the only goal of the match.

Hardly a surprise tho having witnessed the dullest football for entire season, Palace apart.

The same trolls post , and he’s come out with the same exact sh***e several times before pointed out his inadequate grasp of anything Bristol City

Simple proof of a pensioner troll (How embarrassing to be a troll ,let alone at his age)

Try’s to derail threads with his Sag like comments

‘ The jelly in Gary Johnson’s office ‘ 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Hang on, aren’t you describing City v Brighton at the Millenium when your beloved Danny Wilson choked big time?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I was there! Those shots on target are completely false. Lies, damn lies and statistics.

I’d stick to bowls and the Gas If I we’re you , or maybe reflecting how sad your attention seeking trolling is, or how a 5’8 Gary Johnson acted as a laxative for you

No attention at home ? 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Haha 1

Strange feelings that day. Desperately wanted to win but happy to be there and enjoy the day. Gutted about the result but have been far worse after other defeats.

Little did we know what a massive opportunity missed it was and the pain we had to endure and still endure after. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

I remember thinking we hadn’t played well at all and being gutted. Then I got home, watched the highlights and thought actually we played ok and were beaten by a cracker. 

No consolation at all mind!

I’ve never been able to watch the highlights of that game. And had a fair few beers pre match so the game itself is a bit of a blur. Best it stays that way I think!

• Like 4

Still clearly remember Adebola with a great chance about 5 minutes in, and wondering if that was our one big one gone already at that point.

Then disappointment followed by confusion as Orr went off injured, Lee came on in his place, and Marvin went to right back.

Also a friend of a friend swore he had Basso's mobile number, so pre game at the pub we gave it a call and all sang "Oh Basso" into his voicemail!

• Robin 1

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I was there! Those shots on target are completely false. Lies, damn lies and statistics.

What about the shot by Trundle near the end that was deflected just over (amongst others)? You can refresh your memory here:

Edited by ashton_fan

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

There's a shot about a minute into these highlights. Another about 3 minutes in. Your memory is defective. We had shots.

Me, I watched it from the Uni common room with the one other City fan I could find on campus.

Stayed in London the night before, got up to Paddington early to meet mates, the thousands of City getting off the trains was incredible I mean this was a serious game not a lower league cup final, the general feeling and atmosphere was positive and I sensed a real feeling that it was going to be our day, had a great day up until ko and then don't really recall much other than the goal, very disappointing to say the least, probably never felt so deflated after a game as I was that day, seen far worse games, results, outcomes etc but that one really sticks out, so close and yet so far. I was 12 when we got promoted to Division 1 and would like to see another promotion to the top flight. 

I remember Fraser Campbell causing us a lot of problems with his pace.

I also recall the bad injury to Orr early on which meant a reshuffle at the back.

One Windass worldy was the difference and then they defended for their lives. That was the difference. Small margins.

1 hour ago, Barry Sheene said:

I am of the opposite opinion in that had we gone up we would of ended up messing it up and buying players that were not up to it on high wages which we would then had trouble shifting after the inevitable Relegation.

People say this but look at what Stoke did after they went up that year - they went onto have almost a decade in the top flight..

Now I’m not necessarily saying we would have done a Stoke but we could have had a few seasons up there, or at the very least we would have yo-yoed between the Championship and the Prem like many other clubs have done making decent £ money in the process.

It was a huge missed opportunity for sure, and i knew walking out of the stadium that day that we wouldn’t have another chance like that in a very long time, 14 years on and we haven’t even come close to repeating it.

• Like 2

Me and Mrs. 01 decided to make a weekend of it so stayed in Brighton from Friday to Monday.

Travelled up to London on the morning of the game from Brighton, there were about half a dozen City fans on the train.

Travelled back to Brighton in silence after the game and when we got back to the hotel she burst into tears. 

I don't remember too much of the game and I also don't remember watching any highlights since.

Felt the whole game hinged on Orr's injury.

22 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Me and Mrs. 01 decided to make a weekend of it so stayed in Brighton from Friday to Monday.

Travelled up to London on the morning of the game from Brighton, there were about half a dozen City fans on the train.

Travelled back to Brighton in silence after the game and when we got back to the hotel she burst into tears. 

I don't remember too much of the game and I also don't remember watching any highlights since.

Mrs Downend bursts into tears at the thought of being stuck in a hotel with me for a week-end!

• Haha 1

I helped a mate move that day from Newton Abbott to Swindon. (I had arranged it months in advance). Managed to get to The Oxford (  The Merlin) at five to three. It was my local. It was absolutely packed.I walked in with my city shirt on and you could hear a pin drop. I was well known for being a city fan by the locals but I didn’t know hardly anyone in there. When Hull scored the place went ballistic. 

All I got from Swindon fans for year after was we’ve never lost at Wembley. Well I bided my time and low and behold they haven’t won at the new Wembley culminating in my favourite when they got absolutely dicked by Preston the year they won the title in November ???

1 hour ago, Swede said:

I remember Fraser Campbell causing us a lot of problems with his pace.

I also recall the bad injury to Orr early on which meant a reshuffle at the back.

One Windass worldy was the difference and then they defended for their lives. That was the difference. Small margins.

It was Orr's injury that cost us the game, and gave them the goal (in a way).

There's a very good OSIB interview wirh Bradley Orr where he talks about it.

At the time the goal went in he was badly injured and should have been subbed already.

If you watch the goal back (painful I know), you can see him try and block it and uninjured he probably would have but he was seeing treble at the time and tried to head the wrong ball! Probably just as well, as the doctors told him afterwards that, had he made contact, it may well have killed him.

• Like 4