IGNORED

20 is Plenty

frenchred

4 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Would be interested to know the reason why City won't do the same.

The article above makes some attempt to explain it, though I'm not particularly convinced. They charged £28 for Reading fans last season. Given they would likely sell more tickets at £20, sell more beers, do their own fans a favour and generate some positive PR....I'm not sure it's the smartest decision by the club to dig their heels in for the sake of a few grand.

I guess the worry from the club's point of view is that the arrangement grows organically to quickly become a division-wide thing and they don't feel able to support it financially.

Edited by ChippenhamRed

Why would the club charge away supporters less than home supporters ?

Unless they also decrease the cost for home supporters in a similar stand (South stand) to £20, I can't see the sense in it.

Burnley have a similar scheme costing £25 which is closer to reality/parity imo.

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

• Admin
21 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Unless they also decrease the cost for home supporters in a similar stand (South stand) to £20, I can't see the sense in it.

Burnley have a similar scheme costing £25 which is closer to reality/parity imo.

I wonder what we are charging Sunderland supporters? 

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Everyone wants everything from the club. Cheap everything and we are losing hundreds of thousands of pounds every week.  But they also want signings and to compete. We can’t have literally everything and if away fans pay £25-30 instead of £20 then I don’t think it would stop a massive percentage coming. That sort of price seems fair to me.  Every announcement seems to have get a moan unless it’s a signing 

Fair comments, I think when reading are offering it we should reciprocate to be honest

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Everyone wants everything from the club. Cheap everything and we are losing hundreds of thousands of pounds every week.  But they also want signings and to compete. We can’t have literally everything and if away fans pay £25-30 instead of £20 then I don’t think it would stop a massive percentage coming. That sort of price seems fair to me.  Every announcement seems to have get a moan unless it’s a signing 

Difficult to prove but I think initiatives like this foster goodwill towards the club which in turn may make supporters encourage mates to come along, buy an extra pint/pie at a game.. little things like that.

I appreciate what you’re saying about signings to compete, but the positive PR and opportunity to give back to supporters may outweigh it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I’m glad you wrote this as I was as beginning to think I was as the only person who thought the same. There is no logic in charging away supporters less than home supporters. The facilities in the Atyeo are not as good as the South Stand, so a slight differential between the two would be reasonable, but that’s it. I know the cost of travelling to away matches has increased but, imo, any reduction in prices should be directed at home supporters. 

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Difficult to prove but I think initiatives like this foster goodwill towards the club which in turn may make supporters encourage mates to come along, buy an extra pint/pie at a game.. little things like that.

I appreciate what you’re saying about signings to compete, but the positive PR and opportunity to give back to supporters may outweigh it.

I appreciate the opposite view but I’d say that PR over money can’t win on every single thing really when running a business.  Charging £20 over £28 would probably cost them less than £150k over the season so they could of course do it in isolation but I just think they have to draw the line somewhere. 

• Admin
35 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

So charging £12.50 for mates rates against Sunderland is a bad thing for the club? 

• Admin
46 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If you have got that from what I’ve written then I have no words mate 

May be not completely clear what I meant, but the argument must be the same, that if "we" want success at some point we have to contribute. 

Surely we will lose more by our Sunderland offer than what we would by charging Reading fans less? 

Possibly doesn't read as I mean it to come across 

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

May be not completely clear what I meant, but the argument must be the same, that if "we" want success at some point we have to contribute. 

Surely we will lose more by our Sunderland offer than what we would by charging Reading fans less? 

Possibly doesn't read as I mean it to come across 

But by offering cheap tickets to home fans on occasions we are hopefully attracting new fans. Short term it costs but a long term gain.  Away fans are different for obvious reasons 

• Like 1

• Admin
4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

But by offering cheap tickets to home fans on occasions we are hopefully attracting new fans. Short term it costs but a long term gain.  Away fans are different for obvious reasons 

I guess it'll be interesting to see what the attendance is that day 

I do agree with your point that hopefully it attracts new supporters but suspect pricing further into the season may be a bigger factor in some attending again 

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I guess it'll be interesting to see what the attendance is that day 

I do agree with your point that hopefully it attracts new supporters but suspect pricing further into the season may be a bigger factor in some attending again 

I bought my tickets yesterday and sales seem to be pretty good despite obvious bad timing with people on holiday. I’d be surprised if it’s not close to a sell out for home fans as the excitement builds.  Problem is that most of the time we try to attract new fans we play crap!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

But are we? 

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

But are we? 

I took my son when he was five which was earlier than planned because it cost £15 for us both to go.  City fan of 6 years, gets a full kit every season for birthday and he’s probably been to about 50 games with either me or his grandad. That’s only one example but I do think it works having 4-5 really cheap games in a season 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I took my son when he was five which was earlier than planned because it cost £15 for us both to go.  City fan of 6 years, gets a full kit every season for birthday and he’s probably been to about 50 games with either me or his grandad. That’s only one example but I do think it works having 4-5 really cheap games in a season 

Good to get them hooked,

I'd like to see the data to back it up with regards to mates rates, because that's how my mind works,