IGNORED

20 is Plenty

frenchred

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Everyone wants everything from the club. Cheap everything and we are losing hundreds of thousands of pounds every week.  But they also want signings and to compete. We can’t have literally everything and if away fans pay £25-30 instead of £20 then I don’t think it would stop a massive percentage coming. That sort of price seems fair to me.  Every announcement seems to have get a moan unless it’s a signing 

Football itself needs to sort itself out. Even if we charged £40 a ticket it wouldn’t even cover our wages. 

Why are fans the ones penalised? Why do I need to stump up more to cover wages? Why can’t players take pay cuts so business can become sustainable?

We’ve let Palmer go, on roughly £20k a week. If we charged Reading fans £20 instead of £28 I think I read it’ll cost us £9k. That’s less than half of Palmers salary. And then in return we can get cheaper tickets to the away game. 

Why do we have to pay for Lansdown mistakes? We don’t even sell out so it’s not a supply and demand issue.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Football itself needs to sort itself out. Even if we charged £40 a ticket it wouldn’t even cover our wages. 

Why are fans the ones penalised? Why do I need to stump up more to cover wages? Why can’t players take pay cuts so business can become sustainable?

We’ve let Palmer go, on roughly £20k a week. If we charged Reading fans £20 instead of £28 I think I read it’ll cost us £9k. That’s less than half of Palmers salary. And then in return we can get cheaper tickets to the away game. 

Why do we have to pay for Lansdown mistakes? We don’t even sell out so it’s not a supply and demand issue.

So you would be happy to see away fans at AG pay less than home fans ?

I've always thought that a kind of compromise on away ticket pricing should be set by the FA, for all clubs. 

Something like every clubs has to provide 1,000 away tickets per match at £20/25 (whatever is economically viable for clubs) 

Beyond that, clubs can then charge their own prices for more allocation - but it gives the regular away followers of clubs better value - then those (like me) pay more, when we fancy a day out or big fixture - but those who go week in, week out, rightly get a better priced ticket than I would. 

2 hours ago, Selred said:

I’m giving you a standing ovation here…couldn’t have worded it better myself 

I can see why clubs wont take up the £20 scheme, loss of revenue but in the end it will price the average support out of going to away games and there will be half empty Away Ends so clubs will lose out in the end.

Its just another example of Rip Off Britain

The whole game needs a shake up, the money players are on is ridiculous when players like No Salads new contract at Liverpool is reportedly on £400k a week it will kill off the game in the end because its the fans that have to pay  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Well there’s two things here. 

Firstly we’d get £20 tickets for Reading, so it’s even anyway. 

Secondly I think we need to have £20 tickets in the Home End for non members in the first place. English Football is pricing fans out the game. £28-33 to be behind the goal is bonkers in my opinion.

• Like 1

Asked on the Jerry section for this to happen a while back

Very poor from our club, to not sign up. Following city is an expensive hobby. The cost to help more supporters travel is negligible compared to the cost for the supporters. If it means you put a quid on all home tickets, then so be it.

I think a £20 away ticket price would also encourage more to travel, so in the long run, the club could maybe make it back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, westonred said:

I can see why clubs wont take up the £20 scheme, loss of revenue but in the end it will price the average support out of going to away games and there will be half empty Away Ends so clubs will lose out in the end.

Its just another example of Rip Off Britain

The whole game needs a shake up, the money players are on is ridiculous when players like No Salads new contract at Liverpool is reportedly on £400k a week it will kill off the game in the end because its the fans that have to pay  

That’s a contract I can get behind 

From a pragmatic point of view if Reading sold out their allocation last season at £28 there’s nothing to be gained by selling them cheaper. Anyone who was going to buy food and drink at the ground would have done so anyway 

Obviously it’s our away fans who’ll lose out although as Reading is one of our nearest fixtures it’ll likely sell out anyway 

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Well there’s two things here. 

Firstly we’d get £20 tickets for Reading, so it’s even anyway. 

Secondly I think we need to have £20 tickets in the Home End for non members in the first place. English Football is pricing fans out the game. £28-33 to be behind the goal is bonkers in my opinion.

Fair enough, I agree with the second point, prices are too high due to players salaries.

But the club has some great offers on - £15 for members in the South Stand and Dolman wings for Sunderland and Huddersfield for instance (I paid that for a ticket for the Bournemouth friendly). You get the cost of membership covered in those two games. The first 4 games works out at £85 for members or an average of £21.25 per game.

If they have a few offers like that every now and again during the season, it will go a long way towards making tickets a bit more affordable.

As for away supporters, they have to pay the POTD prices and its the same for us going away. If the club is going to discount tickets, then I'd prefer those discounts to go to our own supporters - which is exactly what they are doing.

• Robin 2

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Fair enough, I agree with the second point, prices are too high due to players salaries.

But the club has some great offers on - £15 for members in the South Stand and Dolman wings for Sunderland and Huddersfield for instance (I paid that for a ticket for the Bournemouth friendly). You get the cost of membership covered in those two games. The first 4 games works out at £85 for members or an average of £21.25 per game.

If they have a few offers like that every now and again during the season, it will go a long way towards making tickets a bit more affordable.

As for away supporters, they have to pay the POTD prices and its the same for us going away. If the club is going to discount tickets, then I'd prefer those discounts to go to our own supporters - which is exactly what they are doing.

I do think we’ve got some great offers this year, but I would rather every game had “accessible” pricing. 

In regards to away tickets, the discounts would go to our fans. We’d be paying £20 for Reading away ourselves then. 

15 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

So the fans that go away are not our supporters as well?

17 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Why would the club charge away supporters less than home supporters ?

Unless they also decrease the cost for home supporters in a similar stand (South stand) to £20, I can't see the sense in it.

Burnley have a similar scheme costing £25 which is closer to reality/parity imo.

Top point.

Why should the home fans being charged less than the home fans. I have and will really have to pick my games. As I just can not afford to go as much as I would like. Well gone are the days of a yearly season ticket and regular away trips. But my heart will always be with the City.

COYR

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Absolutely. It's an acknowledgement of the time and growing expense of travelling all over the country to support your team. If it is reciprocated across the league then there should be no complaints. A large away following will always create a better atmosphere in any ground so surely it is a good idea to encourage more people to follow their team away. Clubs will also profit from the hundreds of extra pints and pies sold.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

How about a BOGOF offer for away fans. Offer Reading fans tickets for their game at Ashton Gate, and get a free ticket to another game at Ashton Gate this season?

Only £14 a game. Any other club beat that?

Spot on Cyril, Reading fans could ( in theory) draw us in one of the cups, allowing them admission for half price...

Happy days..

?

This has been a hot topic on Talk Sport this morning and Simon Jordan (love him or hate him) wasn’t totally in favour of this but did make a much better money saving point.

When he was at Palace he ensured the cost of a pint and food was cheaper than local pubs - he said it encouraged everyone to get to the game early and not go to the local pubs until 2:55 and turn up pissed and trying to get through the turnstiles at the last minute.

What is much better when going away is not to get any nasty surprises when food and drink within the ground is so overpriced.

His comment was this was a much better plan than reducing costs of the actual ticket!

I do agree that away tickets should be the same as home tickets - so perhaps £25 would be more realistic.

• Like 2

Don't think an extra £5-10, makes that big a difference though- it's the cost of the travel especially right now that is really ruinous.

Stoke have massively subsidised or free away travel I believe- easy to do of course and subject to certain t&c when you are Bet365 or post parachutes so I'm not demanding Lansdown massively subsidises travel cost but that is the bigger factor I think.

On 05/07/2022 at 21:10, Selred said:

If the priced dropped £9,000 would be covered by an extra 450 away fans. 

1 minute ago, redsapper said:

If the priced dropped £9,000 would be covered by an extra 450 away fans. 

To be fair Reading sold out last time, so not possible. However I’d rather the club do the right things for the fans.

I don’t have a problem with away fans paying £20 and me paying significantly more because I would know when I’m at an away game the roles are reversed.

This season is going to be the most expensive by some distance for travelling fans, if you knew you’d only be paying £20 for a ticket it would ease the pain of your fuel bill a bit.

It’s important we keep this country’s great tradition of having big away support, I’ve watched plenty of football in France and Spain and often it’s the one thing that’s missing from the match atmosphere. Big crowds with tiny away followings just lack that special atmosphere 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

The club would, in a sense, be giving our supporters a discount as it would mean Reading discounted away tickets for us too. 

3 minutes ago, KegCity said:

The club would, in a sense, be giving our supporters a discount as it would mean Reading discounted away tickets for us too. 

Doesn't make any sense at all to me.

2k of our away fans getting a discount but probably 6k of our home fans paying more than the away fans.

Madness.