IGNORED

Train to Hull? No chance

t_b

Striking on the opening day of the football league season is a pretty miserable state of affairs for a day so many look forward to for so long. 

Had bought a Hull Trains return ticket on the day the fixtures came out, which is now worthless.

Edited by Olé
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Stockwood gate said:

Not a problem get Cross country to Sheffield then Transpennine to Hull theses two companies not on strike 

Lots of rail replacement and cancellations around Sheffield that weekend already due to work on the lines...!!

• Admin

Ticket information now released

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/season-opener-set-for-priority-sale/

1 hour ago, Stockwood gate said:

Not a problem get Cross country to Sheffield then Transpennine to Hull theses two companies not on strike 

Assuming you were going on Crosscountry

I believe the cheapest route was via Paddington then Kings Cross up the East coast

21 minutes ago, phantom said:

I believe the cheapest route was via Paddington then Kings Cross up the East coast

Yes - Kings Cross on Hull Trains direct was £20 odd, with LNER via Doncaster a fall back. Both lines are now striking on the 30th. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Olé said:

Striking on the opening day of the football league season is a pretty miserable state of affairs for a day so many look forward to for so long. 

Had bought a Hull Trains return ticket on the day the fixtures came out, which is now worthless.

It is a great pity that working men and women have to take these measures in this day and age

• Like 4

1 hour ago, harrys said:

It is a great pity that working men and women have to take these measures in this day and age

I don't want to turn this into a political debate and get it moved to the non-football forum where I'm sure a lot of the more committed ranters and ravers will feast on this thread.

But in additional news, further strikes now planned in August include another day of league football - August 20th - which will technically be the day before City - Cardiff, but as a 12pm kick off for those of us who live away from Bristol and would come down the night before just to ensure being there on time, it will be hugely disruptive also, potentially even to anyone travelling to the game given that services take a while to get back to normal the morning after a strike (on recent form).

Incidentally, is the relatively low number of people commenting a reflection of how marginal the use of trains is now by football fans; the fact people are still in summer mode and haven't computed what is going on; or simply (in the case of the opening day of the season) how few people would now go away (at least where a trip to Hull is involved)? Is this the VPN culture the EFL has been quietly encouraging? 

@Never to the dark side any tips? I figured you of all people would brief us on what this means for the first and fourth weekends of the football season.

2 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Ole

Not sure what to do,my personal options

1) drive(or share)

2) stay friday and saturday night

3) Bristol City coach

4) Not going will not be an option

Hopefully the strike/s might be called off

Something out of my control, but COULD the games be stream  LIVE?

or move the fixture/s to the Sunday.

The strikes won't get called off until the govement and shapps actually negotiates,

Despite what he says in the media he has to sign off on any agreement, and is refusing to even discuss it,

This is solely on the govement and any anger needs to be directed at them

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Robin 1

Some more dates have been added now including the 20th August which is the original date for the Cardiff home game, so maybe we dodged a bullet there 

But the downside of people now working from home is that Saturday is now more likely to be used, probably doesn’t help much in terms of cheap advance fares but the unions need to give 14 days notice so maybe look to delay buying your train tickets till then 

On 15/07/2022 at 06:27, Olé said:

I don't want to turn this into a political debate and get it moved to the non-football forum where I'm sure a lot of the more committed ranters and ravers will feast on this thread.

But in additional news, further strikes now planned in August include another day of league football - August 20th - which will technically be the day before City - Cardiff, but as a 12pm kick off for those of us who live away from Bristol and would come down the night before just to ensure being there on time, it will be hugely disruptive also, potentially even to anyone travelling to the game given that services take a while to get back to normal the morning after a strike (on recent form).

Incidentally, is the relatively low number of people commenting a reflection of how marginal the use of trains is now by football fans; the fact people are still in summer mode and haven't computed what is going on; or simply (in the case of the opening day of the season) how few people would now go away (at least where a trip to Hull is involved)? Is this the VPN culture the EFL has been quietly encouraging? 

@Never to the dark side any tips? I figured you of all people would brief us on what this means for the first and fourth weekends of the football season.

I think I am correct in thinking you are from London (if I'm wrong stop reading)? Why not get the Megabus on the Saturday to Bristol, shows up as under a tenner from Victoria to Bristol town centre. I've never used it before but my mate uses it to go to London for Boxing/gigs etc.

• Thanks 1

I see City have delayed putting Hull tickets on sale this morning due to "technical issues".

I suspect the real reason may be uncertainty over refund claims on match tickets if strikes go ahead.

Perhaps they need time today to introduce additional disclaimers that supporters purchase at their own risk.

• Robin 1

11 minutes ago, Olé said:

I see City have delayed putting Hull tickets on sale this morning due to "technical issues".

I suspect the real reason may be uncertainty over refund claims on match tickets if strikes go ahead.

Perhaps they need time today to introduce additional disclaimers that supporters purchase at their own risk.

The club aren't responsible for people's travel, it will have nothing to do with the rail strike

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Olé said:

Wouldn't refunds be Hull's decision

55 minutes ago, Olé said:

No, it's a genuine technical issue. Systems/phonelines not working. Nothing to do with train strike 

3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Just a thought

COULD the game be moved to Sunday OR

allow the game to be streamed  LIVE

No way are Hull, with a shedload of new signings & under relatively new ownership going to do anything that would reduce the number of home fans in attendance, like live streaming it.

Realistically we’d usually take what? 700 to an opening game this far North?

It will be played on the Saturday too, I expect.

On 15/07/2022 at 07:44, Never to the dark side said:

Ole

Not sure what to do,my personal options

1) drive(or share)

2) stay friday and saturday night

3) Bristol City coach

4) Not going will not be an option

Hopefully the strike/s might be called off

Something out of my control, but COULD the games be stream  LIVE?

or move the fixture/s to the Sunday.

I could happily give you a lift there, but I will be staying over on the Sat night to meet friends on the Sunday.

Thank you for the offer,although there will be nothing stoping me going, I am going sit on the fence on this one for a few days.

Match day ticket prices are EXCELLENT

20 quid for an adult

and 13:50p old farts

Compare that with the last two seasons

2019/20 30 and 18

2020/2021 N/A

2021/22 27 and 21 city fans approx 300

On 18/07/2022 at 18:19, robin for life said:

I will be driving up to Hull on the Saturday for the game, but I will be staying overnight and going to meet a mate in Lincolnshire on the Sunday. So if anyone needs a lift up (I live in Dulverton), I can offer someone a lift, but I probably can't help getting back. 

Where abouts in Lincolnshire are you staying? I’m sturggling to get back thanks to car having an oil and live in North Lincolnshire, thanks!