IGNORED

Were you there?

Alan Dicks

I wasn’t there. I was only about 11 and my dad was working nights and had to go straight from the game to work so couldn’t take me. I remember that I was too nervous to listen to it on the radio. My dad phoned my mum as soon as he got to work to say we were going to Wembley and I couldn’t sleep with excitement. 

He always said that Neville’s goal was like slow motion and then the ground erupted. 

Those highlights are great, especially seeing the Enclosure after we’d scored. That used to be a lively part of the ground. 

That’s one of my favourite ever City kits too. 

• Like 1

Yep

went to both legs ,

very lively in Hereford before and especially after the game , one of them smaller places like Aldershot back in the day you could come unstuck ( if you know what I mean ) if you never had your wits about you .

was in the enclosure for the home game then up princess court ( that tells you how old I am ) to celebrate.

funny how over the years how can I put it the more boisterous of city fans have moved around the ground . 
I see B block dolman is getting lively again for the big games , aka Cardiff this Sunday . 
muse to love watching city back in those days perhaps it was being young with no sense of responsibility etc etc 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Bear in mind we had a pretty bad reputation in those days and with Hereford being a forces / SAS town, it was always going off there. As said above, Aldershot was just as bad.

Great times though.

Ironically, I was working in Hereford yesterday, the town centre is quite neat nowadays.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Flames 1

At both games, remember the fancy dress and trouble at Hereford and having difficulty entering our end due to the volume of City fans packed right up to the entrance at the back of the terrace.

Home game in the Enclosure down towards the EE. Note the fans being allowed to run on the pitch to celebrate the goals, sat on the dug outs etc. - no stifling of enthusiasm.

I had a pendant/big sticker (can't remember which) in the back window of my car at the time, 'Don't follow me, follow Bristol City, at Ashton Gate.'

Next day I added ..'and Wembley!'

Couldn't believe I'd be watching City play there.

My third away game (I think) after Chester and Notts County in the cup. Remember feeling gutted after the first leg.

The home tie was undoubtedly special. Proud to say I was in the East End that night, twisted my ankle celebrating the winner. Couldn't believe WE were going to Wembley! Felt sooooo proud...

1 hour ago, redkev said:

Yep

went to both legs ,

very lively in Hereford before and especially after the game , one of them smaller places like Aldershot back in the day you could come unstuck ( if you know what I mean ) if you never had your wits about you .

was in the enclosure for the home game then up princess court ( that tells you how old I am ) to celebrate.

funny how over the years how can I put it the more boisterous of city fans have moved around the ground . 
I see B block dolman is getting lively again for the big games , aka Cardiff this Sunday . 
muse to love watching city back in those days perhaps it was being young with no sense of responsibility etc etc 

Canons PH in Aldershot ?

?

Edgar Street was a nice little ground. Watched one of our games against them from the directors' box - back in the midst of time (70s). Can't remember the score alas, but can remember dad got pissed on complementary booze and mum had to drive home, much to her annoyance, which was doubled when she realised she'd left behind one of her ghastly hats. 

Edit: Just looked it up. It was 1974 and we beat them 1-0 in the FA Cup to set up the famous games v Leeds. 

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

At both games, remember the fancy dress and trouble at Hereford and having difficulty entering our end due to the volume of City fans packed right up to the entrance at the back of the terrace.

Home game in the Enclosure down towards the EE. Note the fans being allowed to run on the pitch to celebrate the goals, sat on the dug outs etc. - no stifling of enthusiasm.

I had a pendant/big sticker (can't remember which) in the back window of my car at the time, 'Don't follow me, follow Bristol City, at Ashton Gate.'

Next day I added ..'and Wembley!'

Couldn't believe I'd be watching City play there.

I know my memory might be failing & it was 40 (!) years ago, but the fancy dress was at the league game in the season before wasn’t it, Noggers?

I was there…. A ball boy in front of the Dolman. 
That team, those seasons are still the best I’ve known as a City fan. 
Which reminds me, as ever…. Where is the Terry Cooper permanent memorial/tribute that the club promised? 
At Wigan there’s a statue of Dave Whelan holding the FA Cup. I’d argue a tearful Terry Cooper holding the trophy is as important a moment in our club’s history. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

49 minutes ago, leader said:

Aldershot big mob from knowle west and Hartcliffe  we didn’t have it all our own way tbh

Definitely 

can remember being in one pub quite early ( night game ) doors open Aldershot ( army boys ) came in game as never seen so much furniture and stock flying around a pub lots of actual toe to toe outside aswell. Very decent little outfit . 

40 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I know my memory might be failing & it was 40 (!) years ago, but the fancy dress was at the league game in the season before wasn’t it, Noggers?

You're no doubt right Graham. ?

Those 2 trips obviously merging into one a bit in my memory now.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Edgar Street was a nice little ground. Watched one of our games against them from the directors' box - back in the midst of time (70s). Can't remember the score alas, but can remember dad got pissed on complementary booze and mum had to drive home, much to her annoyance, which was doubled when she realised she'd left behind one of her ghastly hats. 

Edit: Just looked it up. It was 1974 and we beat them 1-0 in the FA Cup to set up the famous games v Leeds. 

I think Sir Geoffrey scored

• Like 2