IGNORED

We Need to Talk About Kal

Port Said Red

When he's good he's very good, when he's bad he's Nyatanga! 

I think he is getting a lot of slack from the fans at the moment, if one of our home grown players or longer serving players had made some of the mistakes he has made over his first few games, they would have multiple threads on here and elsewhere. The good thing is that between those mistakes he shows he is very talented, but he seems to forget that he is the last man in many situations. and he is lucky that more of those errors haven't been punished. 

He's not a kid though, so it seems unlikely he is going to change, so I guess we are just going to have to live with the bad bits as well as the good ones.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Super said:

He makes everyone nervous. Does some good things but always makes a shocking mistake. Luckily tonight Bents bailed him out.

Don't recall him making any against Cardiff.

However, he has made a few for sure. Overly keen to impress early on perhaps.

• Like 2

A fair few times he’s passed to his fellow CB when he could just roll it to Bents. 

Reason we conceded against Blackpool. Got caught out tonight almost as well. 

It seems him, Atkinson and Vyner can play amazingly for 88 minutes but always have 2 minutes where they’ll concede a chance. Teams will punish us for that

I feel like we would be much better served with Naismith on the left hand side of the three centre backs and a proper central defender, who can also play out from the back, sitting in the middle/sweeper role. Might have to be an upgrade we make in another window. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

When he's good he's very good, when he's bad he's Nyatanga! 

I think he is getting a lot of slack from the fans at the moment, if one of our home grown players or longer serving players had made some of the mistakes he has made over his first few games, they would have multiple threads on here and elsewhere. The good thing is that between those mistakes he shows he is very talented, but he seems to forget that he is the last man in many situations. and he is lucky that more of those errors haven't been punished. 

He's not a kid though, so it seems unlikely he is going to change, so I guess we are just going to have to live with the bad bits as well as the good ones.

He’s a a player that loses concentration and makes a mistake. However he has a re-emerging Vyner and Atkinson who is playing out of his skin by him. I just think he is taking responsibility more than he needs to. Also I suspect he will be found more in midfield as the season progresses 

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think there has to be an acceptance here of risk vs reward. 

We’ve decided to play from the back, and generally through Kal. As a result, he sees more ball than practically everyone and plays the game as risk vs reward - if he turns the forward, we’re in - if he doesn’t we may be in trouble. 

I kind of accept him getting caught in possession on that basis. I’m less positive if he plays dodgy passes, but on balance I think the fact he’s been key to our way of playing is more good than bad.

Related point: Bents is doing better than most thought he would with his feet.

I agree with the principle of your point. But maybe he just needs to dial back the risk a bit and strike a slightly better balance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

His decision making is bloody random, he got away with it twice tonight.

One shocker of a pass to Atkinson & then I have no idea what he was thinking with the ball back to Bentley.

Did a couple of amazing things, great tackles & blocks but if Vyner had played those 2 passes people would be going mental.

His positioning in the earlier games was suspect as well.

I said after pre-season that I wasn't convinced by him and that I felt he dwells on the ball and has a mistake in him.

But without him half of our attacks wouldn't start and he's extremely good on set pieces.

Rough with the smooth I suppose and on balance, he haas to be one of the first on the team sheet.

I agree that if Vyner made the sort of mistakes Naismith makes nearly every game, he'd be slaughtered on here and in the stands.

Cost us a point at least against Sunderland, cost us all 3 at Blackpool and then could easily have cost us all 3 tonight. On another day or against a more potent attack he would have. Generally plays well with plenty of good moments and then throws it all away with baffling decision making in the worst areas of the pitch and under little pressure.

Even after the disaster on Saturday he was keen on messing about with it again tonight which is worrying. Needs to cut it out sharpish or like others have said, patience will start wearing thin.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I feel like we would be much better served with Naismith on the left hand side of the three centre backs and a proper central defender, who can also play out from the back, sitting in the middle/sweeper role. Might have to be an upgrade we make in another window. 

That would mean dropping Atkinson who is just playing far too well for that to happen right now.

25 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think there has to be an acceptance here of risk vs reward. 

I agree. The current balance, IMO, is that his risk factor negates any reward. I nearly have a heart attack every time he gets the ball near City’s goal and attempts a pass. 

24 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Feels to me like something that can be improved upon. You can coach a player to make less risky decisions when passing in their own third. It’s not simply a limitation of his ability, which is something you couldn’t solve.

He’s 30 years old, so if he hadn’t got it now he never will 

14 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Without the ball that was easily his best game for us tonight.  Superb display. With the ball he was poor. Long passes didn’t work all night and even his shorter ones weren’t great 

How can you have a superb game without the ball? A central defender has to defend and get the ball, then do something constructive  with it 

5 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I agree. The current balance, IMO, is that his risk factor negates any reward. I nearly have a heart attack every time he gets the ball near City’s goal and attempts a pass. 

He’s 30 years old, so if he hadn’t got it now he never will 

How can you have a superb game without the ball? A central defender has to defend and get the ball, then do something constructive  with it 

I think it’s pretty obvious what I mean.  I will try again though. The bits he did without the ball (tackling, heading, blocking) were superb. His positional sense as well was excellent.  The bits he did with the ball (passing) were not good.  

Yes, ideally a defender will obtain the ball and then make good use of it. I’m saying that he did one half of the game very well and the other half not so well.  

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

I think it’s pretty obvious what I mean.  I will try again though. The bits he did without the ball (tackling, heading, blocking) were superb. His positional sense as well was excellent.  The bits he did with the ball (passing) were not good.  

Yes, ideally a defender will obtain the ball and then make good use of it. I’m saying that he did one half of the game very well and the other half not so well.  

I know what you mean but I don’t agree with you 

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

So you think he was poor with and without the ball tonight ?

It’s simple. The bits you mentioned - tackling, heading and blocking - are obviously with the ball as to do all of these  you must be in contact with the ball. I didn’t say he was poor when he did these things, I just pointed out that a defender  can’t have a superb game without the ball as he’s got to defend  - eg tackle, head and block. If a defender, or any other player, spent the entire match without the ball it would be a disaster 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It’s simple. The bits you mentioned - tackling, heading and blocking - are obviously with the ball as to do all of these  you must be in contact with the ball. I didn’t say he was poor when he did these things, I just pointed out that a defender  can’t have a superb game without the ball as he’s got to defend  - eg tackle, head and block. If a defender, or any other player, spent the entire match without the ball it would be a disaster 

Blimey. Okay pedant. Nice one. 

• Haha 1

He’s ******* class . Yes he’s made a couple of mistakes and he will make more, but  his fellow defenders are excelling with him there. His organisation and being vocal is huge for us. Also it’s the best football we have played in a long time and he is a major part of it. What a free signing . Love watching him 

• Like 15

1 minute ago, Cityboy1954 said:

I think were trying to play the ball out from the back when we are not good enough to do so. It causes panic at the back ball often goes back to Bentley and we put ourselves under real pressure even the under 23s play same way .

I absolutely disagree. We are good enough and will get better. 3 clean sheets on the bounce at home and 9 points. Bring it on

• Like 1