IGNORED

Worst City Player Ever

walnutroof657

I'm currently exciled in Vancouver Canada, I recently finished reading Fever Pitch having seen the film out here and Nick Hornby describes Gus Ceaser as the worst Arsenal Player he's seen and as he also 'graced' Ashton Gate it got me thinking of who was the worst city player ever.

Apart from Ceaser two spring to mind in Carl Hutchings and Ray Atteveld.

Do any others spring to mind?

Some signing in the Osman & Pulis eras have been slagged off on here, but Iwas thinking back and dived into the history book. During the first world war only two professionals were retained. The City team of 1917/18 played some friendlies (as the League was in suspension) against teams such as gas, locally based regiments and even factory and dock sides. The City team frequently consisted of anyone they could find locally who was available. Some of those unrecorded players may well be the worst ever.

As for the worst professional player? Your opinion is as good as mine or the next poster's suggestion. I thought Gus Caesar was also in contention for ugliest player of all time if we ever get into that criteria.

I'm currently exciled in Vancouver Canada, I recently finished reading Fever Pitch having seen the film out here and Nick Hornby describes Gus Ceaser as the worst Arsenal Player he's seen and as he also 'graced' Ashton Gate it got me thinking of who was the worst city player ever.

Apart from Ceaser two spring to mind in Carl Hutchings and Ray Atteveld.

Do any others spring to mind?

Gus is one of most famous players, apparently.

Sean Dyche and Andy Jones spring to mind.

Gus is one of most famous players, apparently.

Sean Dyche and Andy Jones spring to mind.

Dyche was very underated and his City career was blighted by a long term back injury.We didn't see the best of him by a long way.

My vote would go Liam Robinson. I didn't rate Ian Baird or Scot Paterson either - not much between them.

Guest east_dundry_red

tony dinning is definitly one of then, what about gary owers? he was shocking towards the end of his city career, along with ivan testimutanu he did **** all, he wasnt here long just took his money and ###### off back to hungry! You can add harpel Sing to that lot aswell didnt he get "home sick" after about 3 games and went back to the midlands?

I think one or two of your comments are going to cause a stir of anger amongst some City fans, mainly the comment about Ivan.

Anyway since I have been watching Carl Huntchings for me or Steve Jones first time round.

Absolutely - Ivan was great till he got badly injured. And he was from Moldova, Hungary was the alma mater of Sebok (apparently produced SHHHbok)

tony dinning is definitly one of then, what about gary owers? he was shocking towards the end of his city career, along with ivan testimutanu he did **** all, he wasnt here long just took his money and ###### off back to hungry! You can add harpel Sing to that lot aswell didnt he get "home sick" after about 3 games and went back to the midlands?

Ivan was a god! Scored a screamer v Chesterfield.

Harpal Singh didn't liked to be played on the right ing so left back to Leeds.

1. dinning - trying to think of the game when he was utter awful. i'm sure we were beaten 5-0 but i cant think who by.

2. james quinn (was that his name) - useless forward bought in by johnson.

3. keith welch - at the time i thought he was great, but looking back on videos i wonder how the hell he was a keeper...

Easy. Since 1990 I would say Andy Llewellyn, followed by lumbering Sean Dyche, Steve "where did you get that tan" Jones and Marvin Brown (who has to be most disappointing along with Robert Fleck). Special mentions to Dave "Mike Tyson" Partridge and Gerard "I predict a riot" Lavin.

It's interesting that people only seem to remember players from the recent past, i was expecting a few from when we were down the bottom of the old division 4 players such as Forbes Phillipson Masters for example

I disagree, Forbes did a great job for us !

It was TC's Western League signings eg John Palmer, Paul Williams, Simon Panes that weren't up to much, in fact Palmer must be the worst although I think he only appeared once or twice.

Easy. Since 1990 I would say Andy Llewellyn, followed by lumbering Sean Dyche, Steve "where did you get that tan" Jones and Marvin Brown (who has to be most disappointing along with Robert Fleck). Special mentions to Dave "Mike Tyson" Partridge and Gerard "I predict a riot" Lavin.

Andy Llewellyn was an absolute legend mate, u must be having a laugh !!!

1. dinning - trying to think of the game when he was utter awful. i'm sure we were beaten 5-0 but i cant think who by.

2. james quinn (was that his name) - useless forward bought in by johnson.

3. keith welch - at the time i thought he was great, but looking back on videos i wonder how the hell he was a keeper...

1. Dinning was ok when he was on loan, got his 2 year deal then took the p1ss.

2. Words cant describe how poor he was, even if he was an international.

3. I thought Elvis was a decent keeper although he did get beat from distance a lot.

A few more names to add - Gary Stanley, Scott McGarvey,Paul Tisdale, Richard Dryden, Glenn Penneyfather, Dave Martin, Mark Flatts,

Steve 'Rambo' Johnson, Mark Summerbell, Abdul Kamara, 'Marvelous' Marvin Harriott, Osei Sankofa & Lorenzo Pinamonte. :no:

1. Dinning was ok when he was on loan, got his 2 year deal then took the p1ss.

2. Words cant describe how poor he was, even if he was an international.

3. I thought Elvis was a decent keeper although he did get beat from distance a lot.

A few more names to add - Gary Stanley, Scott McGarvey,Paul Tisdale, Richard Dryden, Glenn Penneyfather, Dave Martin, Mark Flatts,

Steve 'Rambo' Johnson, Mark Summerbell, Abdul Kamara, 'Marvelous' Marvin Harriott, Osei Sankofa & Lorenzo Pinamonte. :no:

Leave Dave Martin out of this.

Quality lower league player with little ability but pure effort.

I remeber the time he got booked when coming on for a defensive corner after having a tussle with one player and squaring up to another.

Ive only been watching city for 10 years so don't know many players that were that bad but ones who come to mind for being the other side and good are

Tony Dinning

Carl Huntchings

Steve Jones

Peter Beadle

are just a thew that springs to mind.

But on the other side ive liked billy mercer i thought he was a great player along with matt hill

Keith Welch?? Worst City Player ever....Don't talk tosh!!

He was a decent keeper for us, not saying he was the best keeper in the league but did a good job in the main and nowhere near our worst player ever.

I have to echo some of the names mention already:

Clemens Zwinenberg - horribly overweight and just.......horrible.

Gerard Lavin - The touch of a skip driver and football brains to match.

Brian Mitchell - That's surely all I have to say about that!

Steve Jones - Couldn't hit a cow's ass with a banjo.

Keith Welch?? Worst City Player ever....Don't talk tosh!!

He was a decent keeper for us, not saying he was the best keeper in the league but did a good job in the main and nowhere near our worst player ever.

ok... worst keeper for us.

He did a job, but by no means was he good.

get the promotion season video and the season before video. of around 96/97/98...

he is on a par with jonathan gould.

And anyway, its an opinion based forum. so shut your maaaaf :pacifier:

i can not believe that nobody has mentioned scott mcgarvey and gary stanley. i see baird has a few mentions but come on guys what about these too. as for the moron who named keith welch did you watch city in the car park or just listened to radio bristol and not go to the games

Archived