IGNORED

My Uncle

22A

For my news of happenings @ AG I rely on this site and local papers posted by an Uncle. He reckons that in their heart of hearts, City's directors do not want promotion!

His arguement is that promotion would mean an increase in the salary bill. If City struggle due to the other teams being wealthier and better equipped, City's gates would fall meaning less income. It is therefore in the club's financial interest to remain a strong 2nd div team rather than a poor or average 1st div team.

Someone please assure me he is wrong. :laugh:

There was a (quite strong) rumour that did the rounds when we got promoted to Div 1 in 1976 that we could probably have got promotion the season before but the players did not want it.

It was supposed to be to do with their contracts, wages and bonuses. They were reportedly better off playing for a side at the top of Div 2 than a side that was struggling at the bottom of Div 1.

Not sure if there was ever any truth in the rumour.

Ive heard this rumour alot and its complete boll@cks! Why would the board spend so much money:

Wilkshire 250k

Miller 300k

Goodfellow 100k

Murray 500k

All this money spent and were a club who annually makes a loss!

why would they wanna be a second division club and lose money every season!

Guest greatwhite

if that is their stance we will forever be in the lower leagues-bristol is a big

city(minus the gas) and we could fill ashton gate 2 fold maybe more,they

should look to the future and dig deep and think of the fans for a change

Yeah, right. It's obvious now you point it out. The directors have done absolutely nothing to improve the squad this season...oh hang on. D'oh!

It's a nice conspiracy theory but it's entirely contradicted by the evidence. For starters, not only the imaginitive signings at the start of the season and Goodfellow when we needed a boost, but the players brought in on transfer deadline day. More than anything that shatters your uncle's case.

Did your uncle happen to explain how a board that didn't want promotion would be prepared to push the boat out and sign three decent new players on deadline day? What benefit would that have in scuppering promotion? Sounds to me like the actions of an ambitious board that wants promotion, but what would I know?

Anyway, if the board didn't want promotion they'd have sacked Danny and appointed Bobby Gould or Russell Osman as manager.

I can see a benefit of staying in div2 in that we are guaranteed to be challenging for promotion every season, and that's where it ends.

We would get slightly better gates in div1, more money through the sky deal, and have the chance to attract a better quality player, are automatically in the 3rd round of the fa cup, more sell outs during the season because of the big clubs coming to town and anyway, I'm sure the board would have to confront Danny Wilson and the players and tell them that they mustn't go up at any cost, could you honestly see any manager or players sticking around after they were told that.

I'm 95% sure your uncles concerns are wrong. The money we have spent, added to the fact we lose money every year indicates to me that the board want us to go up and play the likes of leeds ipswich sunderland coventry wolves week in week out instead of luton! Otherwise why would they spend so much? to increase losses?

No the board are trying to get us up, the increased number of away fans added to the bigger names lurking in div 1 will be enough attraction for new fans and higher gates, and i suspect the lingering hopes that we may just have a couple of good seasons and get whopping gates each week when we push for promotion to the premiership. We all dream and i suspect they dream too, probably for cash reasons but its all relative.

Ive heard this rumour alot and its complete boll@cks! Why would the board spend so much money:

Wilkshire 250k

Miller 300k

Goodfellow 100k

Murray 500k

All this money spent and were a club who annually makes a loss!

why would they wanna be a second division club and lose money every season!

I totally agree.

For my news of happenings @ AG I rely on this site and local papers posted by an Uncle.  He reckons that in their heart of hearts, City's directors do not want promotion!

His arguement is that promotion would mean an increase in the salary bill.  If City struggle due to the other teams being wealthier and better equipped, City's gates would fall meaning less income.  It is therefore in the club's financial interest to remain a strong 2nd div team rather than a poor or average 1st div team.

Someone please assure me he is wrong. :angry:

i'm really starting to belive this now after todays result :(

yeah they have bought in the players but are those players

performing? goodfellow don't get a sniff of a game, wilkshire

stuck out on the right wing not doing well as he does for his

country, miller ok but not getting the service, murray not

back to himself YET, but now injured, wilson saying caskey

will play a part but does not??? out the lot rougier is the only

one looking good :D wilsons team selections and

substitutions don't help the matter.. your uncle could be right..

Archived