IGNORED

Key Moment Now

andy g

What happens next ?

The club has made huge steps forward in the last few seasons. but where do we take it from here ?

We are at a crossroads in some ways. And this summer could be an important one in the history of the club.

We could decide to stick with what we have for another season and hope for another miraculous display from GJ and the players. Who knows, maybe we can repeat the heroic performances of this season and shock the world. But, i suspect that would be a tall order.

We could decide now is the time to splash out on some top quality players and try to compete on a more even footing with the big boys in this division. Money doesnt always buy success - this season had taught us that, but maybe we still need to go up another level if we're looking to get promotion - especially with sides like Derby, Forest and (possibly) possibly leeds joining the race next season along with the billionaires from loftus road and the usual promotion suspects.

Ok, that might not be realistic. But what we must NOT do of course is move backwards.

Selling off key players and not bringing in new talent could spell disaster and undo all the good work thats been done the past two seasons. Most importantly of all, we must not lose Gary Johnson - that really could set us back a long way.

So thanks for a fantastic season - one of the most enjoyable ever.

But, the story doesnt end here. And the decisions that are made over the next few weeks could be massive.

Brilliant season so a big well done to everyone.

Things i feel we need to do next season...

1. Keep GJ, if were performing well again, come Oct-Nov when the first likely Prem manager will be sacked, Johnson's profile is now surely high enough to warrant some interest from above?

2. I think we need to find another Mickey Bell type. McCallister seems cultured in his own half, but he just doesn't do enough for me once he gets into the opponents.

3. Either we spend another 1 or 2 mill on a pacey quality striker or hope the scouting network picks up a gem from somewhere on the cheap.

4. Fringe needs to be trimmed, id expect to see Byfield and Show go, possibly Wilson and JMW if made available/offers come in.

5. An out and out 'beat the man and cross the ball' right winger. Sproule has his plus points but just lacks composure and a decent final delivery.

I don't feel as gutted losing this game today as much as i did against Brighton. Mainly i think as we have certainly overachieved in sense of expectations for this season. I'm left feeling confident for next season, a season where we can strengthen and further enhance our reputation, which this season has really shown what a combination of hard work, dedication and self belief can achieve.

Archived