IGNORED

Our Fate Was Cast In The Close Season

Guest ashtonyate

Guest ashtonyate

You can look for all the scape goats you like but we never had a credible strike force all season I think we did a remarkable job with what we had but it just was not good enough.

We had time to bringing players but it never seemed that it was a priority to Johnson last season it was the same the season before but we got away with it.

Trundle was a big part in the reason he only started to come good in the last 6 or so game as a striker but his best was never good enough Adebola was a good signing but his record shows that he was never that prolific.

I just hope Johnson will not be head hunted because he will get it right but please get us a credible strike force because with one this season we would have been in the prem next year

Please no one respond and bite to this today.

Just not worth it.

Sorry, I think what ashtonyate says is correct.

All season we lacked a goal scorer and it came up to bite us in the end - our goal difference tells you this. I also agree that its crucial that GJ stays and that we invest in a good 15-20 a season striker (cant say who or where he will come from) but we wont be so successfull on that sort of goal difference next season.

We have done fantastically well this season and we got this far through good team ethic. Not much needs to change with team next season apart from a couple of good strikers and for the midfield to contribute a few more goals.

GOOD post from ashtonyate so stop slating him at every opportunity.

You can look for all the scape goats you like but we never had a credible strike force all season I think we did a remarkable job with what we had but it just was not good enough.

We had time to bringing players but it never seemed that it was a priority to Johnson last season it was the same the season before but we got away with it.

Trundle was a big part in the reason he only started to come good in the last 6 or so game as a striker but his best was never good enough Adebola was a good signing but his record shows that he was never that prolific.

I just hope Johnson will not be head hunted because he will get it right but please get us a credible strike force because with one this season we would have been in the prem next year

"Where were you when we were good...."

GOOD post from ashtonyate so stop slating him at every opportunity.

Give it a break. We just lost in the play-off final. Before the season started most would have taken 21st place. Johnson could have done lots of things differently but I doubt any of them would have made us do any better. The guy is an unbelievable manager.

The real question is do you want to be back at the bottom of League 1?

Give it a break. We just lost in the play-off final. Before the season started most would have taken 21st place. Johnson could have done lots of things differently but I doubt any of them would have made us do any better. The guy is an unbelievable manager.

The real question is do you want to be back at the bottom of League 1?

No not really, thats a job for the sad sags :innocent06:

I'm not really going to reply to this, other than to say, we did really well to even compete against a Hull City FC, that have:

A: Never played top flight in their entire 104 year history...

B: Haven't beat us since New Year's Day 1985...

C: Never previous played at Wembley...

I could mention a few more things, but they must have thought it was their "destiny" to get it right, as soon as they knew they'd be playing "us" in the final!

I know it's easy to say stuff like:

"If Hull were playing Palace, then Hull would've lost!"

and

"If City were playing Watford, then City would've won!"

...but I reckon that the above would've been the case, and that this playoff jinx rubbish, is just that, "a load of nonsense!"

If we finish 4th place again next season, and have a good end to the season (similar to Palace this season), then the momentum would surely be there, to finally carry us the whole way, and get it right on the big day!

In an ideal world, it'd be great to get automatic promotion outright, but it's not an ideal world, so we're just going to have to pick ourselves up, and "keep moving forward!"

Come on you Reds!!!!! :englandsmile4wf:

Up the City!!! (for the 08/09 season) :fingerscrossed:

Fair point by AshtonYate, although I suspect that both last summer and in January, GJ tried to attract a quality striker, but the right player was not available at the right price. A great pity about Brooker, who looked sharp on his return from Cheltenham. Hopefully, we will now be in a position to attract some quality strikers.

To be honest though, I thought our two biggest problems yesterday were-

- Losing Elliott from midfield

- McIndoe and Sproule not getting wide and stretching the Hull defence - Maybe our strikers would have preferred that to an endless supply of hoofs into a packed penalty area.

Still, we gave it a real go, and I feel proud of Citys efforts and achievements this season.

We should see who we can get but it should be acknowledged that the out and out goalscorer is becoming a thing of the past, even at Championship level.

It is telling that three of the top scorers in the division this season were Kevin Phillips, James Beattie and Stern John, none of whom are exactly spring chickens.

Given the structured systems and tight marking, strikers are having to multi-task and teams are relying on many more goals from midfield. It's noticeable how reliant we were on goals by the likes of Elliott and McIndoe, particularly in the first half of the season, and struggled a bit when those dried up.

AY you have a point, and you said when we bought Trundle that he wasn't the strong target man we needed; subsequently GJ bought Adebola and that definitely helped Trundle towards the end of the season. So you got your way!

Moving on - Freddy Eastwood anyone? Unproven at Wolves, but maybe GJ can

resurrect his career. No racist gipsy jibes please.

By the way AY, you don't get it all your own way. When we were in League 1 you were saying the board had no ambition and were happier not going up. Have you taken that back yet???

Despite all the constant knocking of Ashtonyate, its hard to argue with his basic point here. If we had a striker who scored 20 goals this season, we could well have won automatic promotion. Thats fairly obvious.

But, in fairness to the GJ and the chairman, we spent £1m on a striker in the summer, and another million on two new "goalscoring" wingers. We also brought in two other experienced strikers later on.

If Trundle had settled sooner and had played well the whole season, maybe we would have had a 20 goal a season striker. Come to that, if Brooker had stayed fit, maybe he would have got a few as well.

GJ isnt an idiot and it must be pretty obvious to him that we need goals.

He will sort things out in the summer.

Despite all the constant knocking of Ashtonyate, its hard to argue with his basic point here. If we had a striker who scored 20 goals this season, we could well have won automatic promotion. Thats fairly obvious.

But, in fairness to the GJ and the chairman, we spent £1m on a striker in the summer, and another million on two new "goalscoring" wingers. We also brought in two other experienced strikers later on.

If Trundle had settled sooner and had played well the whole season, maybe we would have had a 20 goal a season striker. Come to that, if Brooker had stayed fit, maybe he would have got a few as well.

GJ isnt an idiot and it must be pretty obvious to him that we need goals.

He will sort things out in the summer.

This is a genuine question, who did score twenty goals this season? I'm too lazy to look it up.

I cant belive you Ashtonyate.

I'm/were on a mega downer today, got sags and swndle fans taking the pi ss bigtime, and you chuck a post in like that.

Whats a matter with you. I'm f@cking proud of my football club, will support them 100% and not slate any of them at anytime.

You are one sad sad mother, and I'm glad the summer is here so i don't have to read your dribble anymore.

I swear you get off on it!!!!!

If AY is right then I'm the Pope - we have just finished 4th in the Championship a years after promotion from League One because of what GJ did in the close season and how he augmented the squad but also did not disrupt team spirit. We very narrowly failed to win promotion despite losing our Centre Half before the game and the league's best right back during it. We were on top for the first 20 minutes until Bradley's injury and dominated the game - they had one real chance and scored we did not quite convert the half chances we had.

It's been a great season - yesterday was a great disappointment but we have the base for success next year - not much needed in terms of wheeling and dealing and am sure GJ knows who he wants.

As an aside what a pain Wembley is - great stadium - dreadful to get away from.

I think Trundle will be our 20 goal striker next year

if he starts next year the way he ended this one anyway

Is Kitson worth a go ?

Kitson? You mean Paul?! Cos you don't mean the guy at Reading. He will be on bigger wages and most likely to either stay at Reading or try to stay in the PL.

since start of season we signed 3 forwards.

2 of which had potential to get goals in Byfield and Trundle......it's didn't work out that way.

however with the forwards that we did get, we still came 4th and losing finalists...........IF we had signed another forward at the start of the season, we still would have ripped an arm of for that same finishing position.

Personally.......I don't and haven't cared about what "could/should" have been done, but what actually has been done.......and what has been done this season I'm bloody proud of and anyone who thinks otherwise is a bloody idiot!

All season we lacked a goal scorer and it came up to bite us in the end - our goal difference tells you this. I also agree that its crucial that GJ stays and that we invest in a good 15-20 a season striker (cant say who or where he will come from) but we wont be so successfull on that sort of goal difference next season.

Where o where is this striker? Everyone wants a 20 goal a season striker but who is he?

Names please and please don't say its Johnson's job to source him we've had that one before.

Realistic as well please - Beattie? £4m plus massive wages

i think we are all very proud of our season and the lads gave everything they could, but it is clear that there was a lack of cutting edge up front. I figure GJ knows how and where to gradually improve the squad like last year with Jevons and russell going out. After a period of settling in, Carle is clearly a step above what we had, and clearly Macindoe and elliot are very good championship players, all of the defence is fine, unless you felt like spending 2 or 3 million on Shittu or equivalent, the keeper excellent, Sproule hasnt really made the step up, and we need someone a bit lively to play off of Adebola and if Noble was quicker he would be ideal on the right, but despite some stunning shooting, could we improve on him, to be honest, we probably could.

Byfield was good enough for a free transfer, but we could get better, If we could get 40 games out of Brooker, then great, and I think he could get 10 or 15, but I am not sure he can do it, so if we could get a decent replacement, then I would go for it. The same with trundle really, he hasnt made the impact we all wanted, apart from the odd moment of brilliance, could we get anyone with more consistency, well yes.

Hopefully the money will be available to do at least some good business, but we will have to wait and see, but it was a shame to see vokes go to Wolves the other day. I would be inclined to back out of signing Vasko, and let ribeiro take his place in the squad to see if he can make it, then use the money for a striker instead.

You have to say though, that it has been a brilliant effort by GJ and the players overall.

Archived