IGNORED

Fao Red Goblin

screech

What did you do for the National Anthem being as your a staunch republican, did you stand up and sing, stand up and stare, stand up and turn your back or stay seated? :closedeyes:

I'll let you guess. :winner_third_h4h:

My message to your Queen - as the commander of our Police - would be to discipline her Police officers that had the Bristol Rovers blue and white quartered Teddy in the window of a riot van at Wembley. Surely the function of her Police is to 'keep the peace' and not provoke trouble ???!!!! I was not amused.

What did you do for the National Anthem being as your a staunch republican, did you stand up and sing, stand up and stare, stand up and turn your back or stay seated? :closedeyes:

As "God Save The Queen" is, for better-or worse, like-it or-not, the National Anthem of the United Kingdom. (As Elizabeth II is for better-or- worse, like-it-or-not, the Head of State of the United Kingdom), then I am sure that Red Goblin observes the conventions

As "God Save The Queen" is, for better-or worse, like-it or-not, the National Anthem of the United Kingdom. (As Elizabeth II is for better-or- worse, like-it-or-not, the Head of State of the United Kingdom), then I am sure that Red Goblin observes the conventions

I'm not a Royalist and I'm not particularly religious so I didn't sing "God save the Queen".

At Wembley, in true Bristolian patriotic style I did sing - with real gusto - "We'll keep the Red Flag flying high, Ciderheads/Redz until we die". We also got to sing "Drink Up Thy Cider" as written by Adge Cutler of Avonmouth Bristol. "Drink Up Thy Cider" being the unofficial anthem of the West Country.

Is Australia still set to become a Republic? If so, what National Anthem will you use to replace "God save the Queen"?

I was trying very hard not to laugh when the National Anthem started, as I couldn't help but think what was going through your mind as it went on! :icecream:

To be honest, why don't we have "Land of Hope and Glory" as our National Anthem, like in the Olympic Games?! :englandsmile4wf:

At least then, England would have its own National Anthem outright, unlike the rest of the United Kingdom! :whistle2:

I was trying very hard not to laugh when the National Anthem started, as I couldn't help but think what was going through your mind as it went on! :icecream:

To be honest, why don't we have "Land of Hope and Glory" as our National Anthem, like in the Olympic Games?! :englandsmile4wf:

At least then, England would have its own National Anthem outright, unlike the rest of the United Kingdom! :whistle2:

At the end of the European Cup final in Moscow last week - between Man U and Chelsea - they had 'Jerusalem' played to represent the winning of that trophy by an English team. At the beginning of the game the Champions League theme was played. At no time did I hear "God save the Queen" sung or played. May be that was in recognition of the Russian Red Army having shot their whole Royal family after world war one but I'm not sure. When Man U beat Barcelona in the Semis they played the Anthem of the former Soviet Union at the end.

I'm not a Royalist and I'm not particularly religious so I didn't sing "God save the Queen".

At Wembley, in true Bristolian patriotic style I did sing - with real gusto - "We'll keep the Red Flag flying high, Ciderheads/Redz until we die". We also got to sing "Drink Up Thy Cider" as written by Adge Cutler of Avonmouth Bristol. "Drink Up Thy Cider" being the unofficial anthem of the West Country.

Is Australia still set to become a Republic? If so, what National Anthem will you use to replace "God save the Queen"?

God Save the Queen is not Australias national anthem. Ask my kids who had to sing the Australian National Anthem every day when they were at school there!!

God Save the Queen is not Australias national anthem. Ask my kids who had to sing the Australian National Anthem every day when they were at school there!!

I stand corrected - and for Nick Carle's benefit - the Australian National anthem......

Advance Australia Fair

Australians all let us rejoice,

For we are young and free;

We've golden soil and wealth for toil,

Our home is girt by sea;

Our land abounds in Nature's gifts

Of beauty rich and rare;

In history's page, let every stage

Advance Australia fair!

In joyful strains then let us sing,

"Advance Australia fair!"

When gallant Cook from Albion sail'd,

To trace wide oceans o'er,

True British courage bore him on,

Till he landed on our shore.

Then here he raised Old England's flag,

The standard of the brave;

With all her faults we love her still,

"Brittannia rules the wave!"

In joyful strains then let us sing

Beneath our radiant southern Cross,

We'll toil with hearts and hands;

To make this Commonwealth of ours

Renowned of all the lands;

For those who've come across the seas

We've boundless plains to share;

With courage let us all combine

To advance Australia fair.

While other nations of the globe

Behold us from afar,

We'll rise to high renown and shine

Like our glorious southern star;

From England, Scotia, Erin's Isle,

Who come our lot to share,

Let all combine with heart and hand

To advance Australia fair!

Shou'd foreign foe e'er sight our coast,

Or dare a foot to land,

We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore

To guard our native strand;

Brittannia then shall surely know,

Beyond wide ocean's roll,

Her sons in fair Australia's land

Still keep a British soul.

Source: http://www.dltk-kids.com/world/australia/anthem.htm

Must've been written by a Bristolian!!! ;-)

:dancing6: You learn something new everyday - thanks for correcting me as I thought the Australian Anthem was "God save the King/Queen". When did it change to "Advance Australia Fair"?

I like the lines below, reminds me of the ideology of the Commonwealth and Republic of England during Oliver Cromwell's era.......

To make this Commonwealth of ours

Renowned of all the lands;

Let us reflect also on our fellow Englishmen and women - including children - that were transported in chains to Australia - many for very trivial offences - on the orders of the most corrupt and class based toff/snob led criminal justice system that still blights England today. Many Bristolians were also transported in chains to Australia for rising up against our tyrannical Government during The Bristol Reform Act Riots of 1831. Queen Elizabeth II is at the head of this country's hopelessly corrupt and class based criminal justice system - hence 'Her Majety's Court's Service', 'Her Majesty's Prison Service', and the Police that see our fellow football supporters as legitimate targets for their baton and chemical weapons spray.

We compete as Great Britain at the Olympics and we use God Save the Queen if we win a gold medal.

We use Land of Hope and Glory at the commonwealth games because we compete as England and the Queen is head of the Commonwealth.

"Jerusalem" may be the best choice as 'England' is mentioned in the verses. I was very surprised at the end of the European Cup final in Moscow last week when they had "Jerusalem" played to represent the winning of that trophy by an English team. It sounded really good and patriotic - ours is a green and pleasant land with all the bloody rain we get. :whistle2:

"Jerusalem" may be the best choice as 'England' is mentioned in the verses. I was very surprised at the end of the European Cup final in Moscow last week when they had "Jerusalem" played to represent the winning of that trophy by an English team. It sounded really good and patriotic - ours is a green and pleasant land with all the bloody rain we get. :whistle2:

Jerusalem would be my choice too.

Why did we have to put up with the Welsh athem at th FA cup? English competion in Englands Capital and we played the British National Athem and the Welsh bloody disgrace!

Jerusalem would be my choice too.

Why did we have to put up with the Welsh athem at th FA cup? English competion in Englands Capital and we played the British National Athem and the Welsh bloody disgrace!

We should have had the regional anthems sung at Wembley. Ours would have been "Drink Up Thy Cider" and the singing of that anthem could have changed the result in our favour. Most intimidating for Hull as they'd never know the words. :icecream:

Did we not have 'Drink Up Thy Zider' before the game, as Mr. Lloyd said we would? (Was late in getting to the ground due to the Hull convoy we ended up wedged in on the M1).

I don't remember hearing 'Drink Up Thy Cider' being played on the Tannoy but I definately remember singing it. I was close to being paralytically drunk at the start of the game thanks to all the booze in the Club Wembley hospitality suites. :winner_third_h4h: I don't think I've ever drunk so much before a football match and so quickly. We had the best day for a play-off final - bloody tipping down at the moment typical Bank Holiday weather. :badmood:

Did we not have 'Drink Up Thy Zider' before the game, as Mr. Lloyd said we would? (Was late in getting to the ground due to the Hull convoy we ended up wedged in on the M1).

Drink up thee Cider and Bounce around the ground were played and sung along to with DaveL compering on the pitch.

Much too early though, ground barely half full with most of the singers still in the bars. :disapointed2se:

GOTCHA !! - Actually I said it to provoke a reaction and it's amazing how many people have got into the act!

Of course ,Australia's National Anthem is "Advance Australia Fair" having been selected by referendum.

(No 2. on the list was set to the popular Tune of Walzing Matilda, (actually there are two tunes ) but,of course with different words- no thieving swagmen are featured !)

Interestingly though at the dawn ANZAC day services, at least those held at the Shrine of Remembrance, Melbourne .(where I'm a Volunteer Guide) "God Save the Queen" is always sang with particular gusto . This ,of course, was the Australian National Anthem when Australian and New Zealand troop first landed at Gallipoli at dawn on 25th.April, 1915.

Old loyalties take a lot of forgetting.

Actually England (UK) is particularly well placed for potential anthems. Elgar's "Land of Hope & Glory", Parry's "Jerusalem", or Holst's "I vow to thee" all rate well.

I'd rather sing the French anthem than that dull dirge, it just reminds of 1000s of fat English skinheads ruining the Italian and French world cups for me, plus the fact i don't want the queen to be saved or to live long and reign over us for a long time, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville always had the right idea when it came to singing the National anthem

At the risk of splitting hairs, Adge Cutler was born in Chepstow and lived in Nailsea

According to Wikipedia Adge Cutler was born 1930 in Bristol and he died 5 May 1974 in Chepstow. Listening to Adge Cutler sing and speak always reminds me of my own City supporting Grandfather and he was from St Judes in Bristol.

I'd rather sing the French anthem than that dull dirge, it just reminds of 1000s of fat English skinheads ruining the Italian and French world cups for me, plus the fact i don't want the queen to be saved or to live long and reign over us for a long time, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville always had the right idea when it came to singing the National anthem

"La Marseillaise" - the French anthem is truely awesome. It became the rallying call of the French Revolution and received its name because it was first sung on the streets by volunteers (fédérés) from Marseille. La Marseillaise was composed by Claude-Joseph Rouget de Lisle in 1792 and was declared the French national anthem in 1795 and it's all about French Revolutionary Republicans resisting Royalist tyranny. :dancing6:

I sat down and sang The Internationale!

In the old days, I sat down on the terraces at Wembley when they played the National Anthem before England v Albania.

I always sit for God Save The queen, wherever it's played.

There's no place for a monachy in a democracy - we go round the world imposing democracy on other nations and our head of state got the job because her dad had it. It'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic!

I sat down and sang The Internationale!

In the old days, I sat down on the terraces at Wembley when they played the National Anthem before England v Albania.

I always sit for God Save The queen, wherever it's played.

There's no place for a monachy in a democracy - we go round the world imposing democracy on other nations and our head of state got the job because her dad had it. It'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic!

Queen Elizabeth II is actually from a German descended aristocratic family - the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas. She is an unelected head of state and even her legitimate right to be Queen is debateable as academics argue that the last legitimate Monarch of England - by 'birthright' - was King Richard III. The Monarchy may even be highly illegal in this country as England was declared a Republic in May 1649 by Act of Parliament - the English Parliament being the winning side in the English Civil War.

"Drink up thy Zider" - as written by a Bristolian - will serve as my National anthem until someone comes up with a better idea. :englandsmile4wf:

We compete as Great Britain at the Olympics and we use God Save the Queen if we win a gold medal.

We use Land of Hope and Glory at the commonwealth games because we compete as England and the Queen is head of the Commonwealth.

Oh well, I knew Great Britain didn't include Northern Ireland, but thanks for summing that up! :icecream:

Either way, I still think that Land of Hope and Glory would be a good alternative for all the Republicans out there... :whistle2:

Archived