IGNORED

Small Club Mentality

Robbored

This time last season after far too many seasons in the lower leagues City finally managed to get promoted. Many City fans used to the dross of Div 1 felt that City would do well to survive in the CCC. It could be argued that many of City fans had grown accustomed to having a 'small club menatilty' and felt that somehow City didn't belong higher up amongst the 'big boys' like Wolves, Palace, Coventry, Ipwich,Watford and so on.

As last season developed and City were doing well some fans still were waiting for the bubble to burst and yet it didn't and eventually City almost making it into the PL through the play-offs.

Now having had a fantastic season in the CCC hopefully most City fans will accept that City can hold their own up amongst the 'big boys'. The whole club will go into next season with more optimism than last and with belief that Johnson can do it again.

But.....Nationwide other fans, bookies,pundits, tv commentators and just about anyone linked to sports media still hold the same mentailty about Bristol City.

To them we are a lower league oufit who punched above their weight in the CCC.Even after 4th place after 46 games and a narrow defeat in the play-off final they still see us as a 'small town club'.

I'll bet that when the odds come out for the CCC next season that the likes of Watford, Palace,Wolves, Ipwich, Sheffield United they will all be shorter odds for promotion than City will be despite City finishing above all of them last time around.

Its a sad fact but nationally others still have that 'small club mentality' when ever they think about Bristol City Footbal Club.

How we change that mentality is beyond me. Maybe we should all just get used to others under estimating us and then laugh when they get proved wrong.

This time last season after far too many seasons in the lower leagues City finally managed to get promoted. Many City fans used to the dross of Div 1 felt that City would do well to survive in the CCC. It could be argued that many of City fans had grown accustomed to having a 'small club menatilty' and felt that somehow City didn't belong higher up amongst the 'big boys' like Wolves, Palace, Coventry, Ipwich,Watford and so on.

As last season developed and City were doing well some fans still were waiting for the bubble to burst and yet it didn't and eventually City almost making it into the PL through the play-offs.

Now having had a fantastic season in the CCC hopefully most City fans will accept that City can hold their own up amongst the 'big boys'. The whole club will go into next season with more optimism than last and with belief that Johnson can do it again.

But.....Nationwide other fans, bookies,pundits, tv commentators and just about anyone linked to sports media still hold the same mentailty about Bristol City.

To them we are a lower league oufit who punched above their weight in the CCC.Even after 4th place after 46 games and a narrow defeat in the play-off final they still see us as a 'small town club'.

I'll bet that when the odds come out for the CCC next season that the likes of Watford, Palace,Wolves, Ipwich, Sheffield United they will all be shorter odds for promotion than City will be despite City finishing above all of them last time around.

Its a sad fact but nationally others still have that 'small club mentality' when ever they think about Bristol City Footbal Club.

How we change that mentality is beyond me. Maybe we should all just get used to others under estimating us and then laugh when they get proved wrong.

Its ok for you, this time last year you went and watched your team win in the play offs. The rest of us have never seen OUR team do that. :rolleyes:

Its ok for you, this time last year you went and watched your team win in the play offs. The rest of us have never seen OUR team do that. :rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I nearly choked on me coffee reading that!!!! Love it, quality. :laugh: :laugh: Cheered me up no end, Cheers!

And for years they've been right.

Since our dramatic fall from grace after our last spell in what is now the Prem, we've spent the vast majority of our time in the third & fourth which doesn't exacrly make us big time, does it?

We were 14th in CCC League attendances last season with relegated Leicester outstripping us, along with Norwich.Forest & Leeds got more in the third!

The ground's got a lot to do with that and that's being addressed, but we've still got to fill that and the only way our attendances will regularly hit the 20/25k mark is in that stadium AND in the Prem.

The paying public of Bristol have more to do with that than the media who, I grant you, look upon us as something of an outpost.

When we go again, pay the big money, get the big attendances (19k+ every week) and top the CCC we'll soon get the attention.

To be honest i couldn`t give my right testicle as to how others view our club. Personal feelings aside our club history over the past 25 years doesn`t do us any favours as far as that argument is concerned.

Just be content in the fact that in just under 3 seasons SL and GJ have combined to move us in the right direction. With improvements under way with the training ground, a new stadium in the pipeline, having experienced a fanastic first season in the Championship and record season ticket sales already for next season all the right noises are being made.

PDG

the only way to REALLY shake of that tag is to get to the Prem........and STAY UP, most clubs that haven't had succesful season (i.e staying up) in the prem are viewed in the same way, just look at Watford

Reading and Wigan have both had same problems in their first seasons in the prem until their second season when they gain respect, the main clubs with the respect in the CCC are the ones who have gone up and done well in the past, i.e the Sheffield Club, Charlton, Derby, Leicester, Palace Southampton etc......because they have deserved it.

despite this season, unfortunately but rightfully we are still classed as a smaller club, which to be fair......is about right, if we can improve on this season, next season then we might actually start to get some respect but unless we actually stay up, we will still be viewed in the same vein as Watford at best

Archived