IGNORED

Saturday Afternoons

dezgimed

I think this one can stay in this part of the forum for a bit, as its footy related really.

Now there is NO football on, what are you going to do with yourself at weekends?

I've had 3 hectic..no...manic weekends in a row....and am now looking forward to a quiet relaxing weekend. Went to Co-op, got my dinner planned, got myself some nice Jaques cider, perfect for a lazy weekend. Saturday morning, Gillette Soccer Saturday followed by the 12 o'clock game. Then Stelling and the gang for 2 hours of laughs, before the 5pm game and eventually MOTD.

Sunday, just as fun. Goals on Sunday with that bellend Kamara and more often than not, Warnock and/or Phil Brown. Then some Super Sunday clash x 2 followed by some lazy Spanish Soccer with Joseles Hernandez, director of Polaris World...

Then it hits me...

NO you idiot. ITS ALL OVER..

Question is...what the **** do I do with myself all weekend now?!

:crying:

Best I can come up with is do my ISP, read my backlog of The Economist, watch 1950's films that frequent Sat afternoons or just go out running all day, which seems unlikely.

Life is over (for 2 months).

I think this one can stay in this part of the forum for a bit, as its footy related really.

Now there is NO football on, what are you going to do with yourself at weekends?

I've had 3 hectic..no...manic weekends in a row....and am now looking forward to a quiet relaxing weekend. Went to Co-op, got my dinner planned, got myself some nice Jaques cider, perfect for a lazy weekend. Saturday morning, Gillette Soccer Saturday followed by the 12 o'clock game. Then Stelling and the gang for 2 hours of laughs, before the 5pm game and eventually MOTD.

Sunday, just as fun. Goals on Sunday with that bellend Kamara and more often than not, Warnock and/or Phil Brown. Then some Super Sunday clash x 2 followed by some lazy Spanish Soccer with Joseles Hernandez, director of Polaris World...

Then it hits me...

Best I can come up with is do my ISP, read my backlog of The Economist, watch 1950's films that frequent Sat afternoons or just go out running all day, which seems unlikely.

A summer of golf :dancing6:

PDG

Then it hits me...

I've got to fit 3 stag dos, a family birthday party, 3 weddings, and a holiday in between now and the start of the season.

I doubt I will have time to catch up on the Economist sadly.

I'm a big Major League Baseball fan, which tends to be my sport of choice during those summer months when there is no football.

Me to mate (Braves fan watch them a mlb.com) & just helped start a team here in Bristol 'Bristol Badgers'. Plus got a certain Bon Jovi concert to go to here in Bristol some place called Ashton Gate.

Me to mate (Braves fan watch them a mlb.com) & just helped start a team here in Bristol 'Bristol Badgers'. Plus got a certain Bon Jovi concert to go to here in Bristol some place called Ashton Gate.

Good stuff. I follow your Divisional rival Phillies. Watched a storming 20-5 win over Colorado last night on NASN which was impressive.

I'm a big Major League Baseball fan, which tends to be my sport of choice during those summer months when there is no football.

I got into this last summer too. My first thing was I could not believe the amount of games played, (for those who don't know) example Red Sox's have played every day this month bar two days and it has been known for a team to play twice in one day. So it's quite hard to keep up with everything. I was surprised how much I like it, hoping to get to a Red Sox v NYY game soon.

I got into this last summer too. My first thing was I could not believe the amount of games played, (for those who don't know) example Red Sox's have played every day this month bar two days and it has been known for a team to play twice in one day. So it's quite hard to keep up with everything. I was surprised how much I like it, hoping to get to a Red Sox v NYY game soon.

162 games in the space of 26 weeks. It's ridiculous really! With games lasting about 3 hours that's a lot of the year spent on the baseball field. It may not be the most exhausting sport in the mould of football or rugby, but kudos to them for playing so many games in a year.

I love the NFL also and it's pretty sweet how it works out in terms of the calendar. There's never a part of the year where none of the three are on. Works perfectly.

Its interesting that there are football fans on this forum that are high on baseball too. Over on Forestfans.net many of us are big fans, so much so that I set up a forum fantasy baseball league which has had much success.

I got into it last year when I visited America. I'm a big San Francisco Giants fan and I am off to see them in July when I go over again. Hopefully I will catch a game against the Dodgers our much hated rival - the rivalry is as intense as Forest v Derby!

Without baseball my summer would be empty, with games every day its hard to keep up but its fantastic entertainment. Before I went over I used to sneer at baseball but really I didn't understand it. Superb summer distraction when football is absent.

I watch the Braves too (I live in Atlanta), although mostly on the box. Winning at Milwaukee right now.

Apart from that it's playing tennis for me and watching the big golf and tennis tournaments on TV. I'm afraid I can't stand any other American sports.

Good stuff. I follow your Divisional rival Phillies. Watched a storming 20-5 win over Colorado last night on NASN which was impressive.

Mate i was sad to hear a Braves fan died at Braves v Mets game last week. He fell off the top tire of the stadium. Not good.

My thoughts are with his family.

Guest DanC

I shall be watching England take part in the Euros in Austria, Hmmm hang on a minute. I work every Friday night so I will enjoy my lie ins on the Saturdays. Could possibly do some overtime but then again maybe not. Not until they introduce a overtime rate anyway. Play FM, Some decorating, Clean the car, Watch some crap programs on the TV and see the Doc about withdrawal symptoms. Only 10 weeks and 400 hours of work until were ready to go again.

Yes I also like the San Francisco Giants. Been to a few games when I have been over there. Also caught a New York Rangers v San Jose Sharks ice Hockey Game when I was over in February. Excellent entertainment lasts a few hours beers and hot dogs all the way through!! Fantastic

i watched a baseball game when i was in america last month. saw tampa bay rays beat toronto blue jays (why do the names always seem to rhyme?). now i always look out for the tampa bay results (see they got a pasting last night, 6-12 or something like that!)

thought the pace of the game was a bit slow in between teams changing from batting, but apart from that was very enjoyable. may make more of an effort to watch it over the summer...

I went to Yankee Stadium for a game about 3 years ago and I have to say that the americans are the weirdest bunch of sport watchers you could ever hope to find.

The game was a sellout and yet at no point during the match was the stadium more than two thirds full. People around us would arrive late, disappear for a couple of innings, wander back in to watch and eat some food before leaving. I don't think anyone around us actually watched more than five of the nine innings in total and if you thought the atmosphere at Wembley was bad, the crowd there hardly made a noise unless the scoreboard told them to. The end of the game was met with almost complete indifference by the vast majority of the stadium.

It was an experience, but a very alien one to someone used to watching Football.

I believe I'm starting a kangaroo breeding programme for the majority! Also have a holiday to Cyprus planned, as well as a private date with a certain Mr Jon Bon Jovi :innocent06: Oooh i also have to drag my ass over the finish line at college :rolleyes:

I went to Yankee Stadium for a game about 3 years ago and I have to say that the americans are the weirdest bunch of sport watchers you could ever hope to find.

The game was a sellout and yet at no point during the match was the stadium more than two thirds full. People around us would arrive late, disappear for a couple of innings, wander back in to watch and eat some food before leaving. I don't think anyone around us actually watched more than five of the nine innings in total and if you thought the atmosphere at Wembley was bad, the crowd there hardly made a noise unless the scoreboard told them to. The end of the game was met with almost complete indifference by the vast majority of the stadium.

It was an experience, but a very alien one to someone used to watching Football.

I noticed this too, it's totally different than us watching football, fans seem to use it as more of a social gathering and spend allot of time chatting and eating etc... It's not like being at Ashton Gate were your glued to the game all the way through. Maybe baseball is like that because the amount of games played, imagine going to a city game four days in a row (bit like cricket) then 3 nights the following week and in between watching the away games on TV. Just not the same as looking forward to Saturday afternoons is it. But saying that I've been to Ice Hockey and Basketball and it's the same.

I would encourage anyone (especially if you like cricket) to look into baseball, I was the same with oh it's rounders etc but learn it (I'm still no expert, it's more complicated than you think), watch it, pick a team and you maybe surprised. I really enjoyed the end of last season.

I noticed this too, it's totally different than us watching football, fans seem to use it as more of a social gathering and spend allot of time chatting and eating etc... It's not like being at Ashton Gate were your glued to the game all the way through. Maybe baseball is like that because the amount of games played, imagine going to a city game four days in a row (bit like cricket) then 3 nights the following week and in between watching the away games on TV. Just not the same as looking forward to Saturday afternoons is it. But saying that I've been to Ice Hockey and Basketball and it's the same.

I would encourage anyone (especially if you like cricket) to look into baseball, I was the same with oh it's rounders etc but learn it (I'm still no expert, it's more complicated than you think), watch it, pick a team and you maybe surprised. I really enjoyed the end of last season.

Yeah when I went last year I was really surprised about the attitude of the fans. Being english and used to watching my sports intently it was an eye opener. When the end of the game was nearing most people had disappeared :tumbleweed: . I think the sheer volume of games must take its toll on fans but there was very little atmosphere until Barry Bonds smashed it out of the park at which point everyone went berserk.

I was very skeptical before I saw a game but if you pick a team it makes it so much more interesting. As San Francisco was the first and only ballpark I went to I support them even though they aren't much good. I quite like my team though, it would be no fun picking the Red Sox or Yankees and it makes it that much more satisfying when we win.

Archived