IGNORED

New Rapid Bus Route To Ashton Gate Proposed

Barrs Court Red

Guest DanC

Thing is good ideas like this always get scrapped because there is always a group somewhere that will object to it and become very vocal about there objections. So very rarely to plans like this come to fruition because of these groups and that harms growth. Yes building massive buildings in the country side is not good but there is nothing wrong with building massive sky scrappers in city centres. What is Bristol's tallest building? Castlemead? Which is tiny in comparison to other buildings around the world. It is down to certain groups that Castlemead is our tallest building.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/displayNode...tentPK=20728382

I suspect the tree hugging sustran #######s will object, but would certainly make life easier for us that get the train on matchdays!

I hope you're on a fishing trip mate. Anyhow I'll bite and just say as a committed cyclist in Bristol I am going to take issue with being called a tree hugging anything!

I'm all for a bus link or a train link, but the last proposal was dropped because of OVERWHELMING opposition from the tens of thousands of people who use the route in question everyday. It wasn't a knee jerk reaction, take the time to read the many petitions and objections from many different sources, not just those ''Sustrans ******s'

Half arsed planning is the real reason we're in trouble in the first instance. taking space from pedestrians and cyclists is not an option, why not make dedicated routes on the roads? If they can come up with a way of using that bridge sensibly then I'm sure it will get support. Just shoving all the current users out the way to provide First with a 'priority route' isn't the answer. You can bet that the tickets will still costs an arm and a leg compared with many, many other UK cities.

Until they address a city wide traffic strategy we'll continue to bodge Bristol's transpost infrastructure.

That bridge inbetween the C & B Bond buildings is actually grade II listed and was built in 1906 so would be intresting to see what they propose. It's quite possible that it could sustain both a train/bus track alongside the existing track. Lets not forget it once had a road ontop of it..

39708607.jpg

Putting buses down a cycle route is a stupid and counter productive idea that is typical of the extremely lazy regional planning #######s. Find somewhere else to put it, like a road perhaps.

totally agree. The truth is the traffic system in this city doesn't work well for ANY of the users!

Motorists frustrations at being snarled up are mirrored by cyclists who lack safe and coherent planned provision and matched by any bus user who resents having to pay stupid prices for an appallingly poor service to a bus company, who is frankly taking the piss!

The spotlight needs to be cast full square on our glorious council(s) with their inept management of our city. Because working hand in glove (should that be hand in pocket?) with First bus isn't the way forward, and the lovely businessfolk who are behind the West of England Strategic Partnership and other regional quango's need to be reminded of the everyday needs of the real citizens of Bristol.

Sitting in a big expensive house out in Chew Magna or Wells it's easy to propose these schemes (these are the people who want to turn Filton into another commercial airport) but for those of us who live and work here, more practical, realistic solutions need to be acheived.

Building the new stadium should come with the councils support and a planned infrastructure for managing traffic and access, rather than piecemeal reactive proposals that are rooted in nothing other than a planners wetdream.

Hey, My idea is lets build a maglev train on raised rails right down the cut! do I win a prize?

off topic for this board? ah well it's the close season.

I hope you're on a fishing trip mate. Anyhow I'll bite and just say as a committed cyclist in Bristol I am going to take issue with being called a tree hugging anything!

I'm all for a bus link or a train link, but the last proposal was dropped because of OVERWHELMING opposition from the tens of thousands of people who use the route in question everyday. It wasn't a knee jerk reaction, take the time to read the many petitions and objections from many different sources, not just those ''Sustrans ******s'

Half arsed planning is the real reason we're in trouble in the first instance. taking space from pedestrians and cyclists is not an option, why not make dedicated routes on the roads? If they can come up with a way of using that bridge sensibly then I'm sure it will get support. Just shoving all the current users out the way to provide First with a 'priority route' isn't the answer. You can bet that the tickets will still costs an arm and a leg compared with many, many other UK cities.

Until they address a city wide traffic strategy we'll continue to bodge Bristol's transpost infrastructure.

A little of both, I remember how you have posted on other cycling threads so thought you might appear on here.

Not sure why the Cycle path issue has been brought up, it was doomed to fail anyway, without the environmental aspects being considered.

This current proposal has not mentioned any "shoving current users". There is easily enough room for both on the bridge, and I suspect the railway line will be used to pick up the rest of the route. Even if this is not the case, there is easily enough room for the provision of a cycle lane on the Cumberland Road.

Given that Bristol is the worst area for traffic congestion in the country, action is desperately needed, and mass transit is the only option. Cycling is not the feasible option, and it seems neither is light rail, which leaves us with this rapid bus project which seems the only system that will get favour.

Train to Parson St aint exactly over utilised either...

It's certainly something I'd consider if I didn't already live in BS3. When I was living in Somerset 5+ year ago and getting the train up to games, the train to Parson Street wasn't really an option as there were only 3 or 4 trains a day that stopped there in each direction on a Saturday.

Believe it or not, now Parson Street has a reasonable service with hourly trains (more at rush hour) in each direction Monday to Saturday. So, bucking the Bristolian trend, the public transport has actually improved round here (in this small way). :innocent06:

You can pop in the 3 Lions on your way down the Gate as well!

As to these BRT schemes, why can't we just have a network of trams? Sheffield, Nottingham, Birmingham all have them, but as usual our local council bungled the "Supertram" idea a few years ago. For the route to Ashton Vale it could even run down the existing disused rail line along the Cumberland basin, over the New Cut bridge and down towards the main line at Parson Street.

I have my suspicions that a BRT service along that route will kill off any lingering hopes that the Portishead-Pill-Parson St-Temple Meads rail route will be opened back up to passenger traffic.

Having lived in Mannheim, Germany, I have seen how trams can work perfectly. It's a city probably a little smaller than Bristol yet must have 10 different tram routes from the centre out of the city. A city Bristol's size in Germany would probably have 1 or 2 tube lines.

Wasn't this a Bristol City forum? :whistle:

I must admit, I am tempted to try that. Any idea how long it takes? Would certainly be something different.

I did it once. The trouble is it take 10mins to get to the centre then you have to change boats and wait for the next one 10 mins. Then it takes about another 20mins and its not cheap. All in all you can walk it from TM in 30 mins.

Its the sudden need for a quick route between temple meads and ashton VALE that interests me. I'm pretty certain that this is not just for the benefit of Bristol City FC, and that the site of our new ground is going to host the new Bristol Arena as well?!

It's likely that there will be a new train station put in for the stadium providing that link so I don't think the two are necessarily related. I think this is just another hair brained scheme that will be still born. Congestion in Bristol city centre will be a problem until they put in a real mass transit system (not more private sector contracted out overpriced buses) which means a very very long time. We'll see a London style charge before we see anything meaningful happen.

I think the arena could be on the same site, SteveL has indicated he's open to the idea and it's big enough, but I hope they leave it until after the ground has been built because public sector involvement has the potential to kill off the whole development.

I think the arena could be on the same site, SteveL has indicated he's open to the idea and it's big enough, but I hope they leave it until after the ground has been built because public sector involvement has the potential to kill off the whole development.

Why would it need public sector involvement?

Why would it need public sector involvement?

The original arena plans were all originated and run by the SWRDA and council and I'm assuming that they're the ones who would want to drive it. I suspect it would also need some public funding depending on the cost. So it might not need public sector involvement, but I'd say it's a near certainty they will be involved.

Its the sudden need for a quick route between temple meads and ashton VALE that interests me. I'm pretty certain that this is not just for the benefit of Bristol City FC, and that the site of our new ground is going to host the new Bristol Arena as well?!

It's not sudden at all, been in plans for a while and is more related to the need to access the airport better (with a proposal to extend the route at a later date out to the airport) and because just the other side of the site for the new stadium, in North Somerset there are plans for a development of around 10,000 new houses, plus employment etc. So not just for BCFC benefit but also all those new residents in what will be a town the size of Clevedon!

if they do build it on the old battered bridge over the new cut, then it will have to be a) either re built or b) seriously strengthend, i have walked over that bridge to games for 15 odd years it has crumbled a lot over those years, it has massive holes in the floor where the railway track once was which is why it is fenced off fear of people walking over and falling into the mud/water below, plus the metal framework has huge holes in it from rust.

I'm all for using cycle paths for bus routes after all they were built as rail tracks. I don't know if you noticed but there is not a lot of room on Bristol roads to build meaningful bus lanes.

People are not going to get out of their cars to get the bus and get stuck in the same traffic but thier will get on a bus if that bus advoids the traffic and speed up journey times.

The cycle lobby should look at the bigger picture and stop being so selfish and blinkerd, but then again I relise how you cycle around Bristol, undertaking,aggressive,going through red lights and the word bike facsict spring to mind.

If we are to improve public transport we must use the old rail lines.

if they do build it on the old battered bridge over the new cut, then it will have to be a) either re built or b) seriously strengthend, i have walked over that bridge to games for 15 odd years it has crumbled a lot over those years, it has massive holes in the floor where the railway track once was which is why it is fenced off fear of people walking over and falling into the mud/water below, plus the metal framework has huge holes in it from rust.

sounds like the rugby ground!

These Rapid Bus Routes are just a total waste of money. A lot of the problems lie with past errors, such as closing Branch Lines, Privatising busses and trains, half-baked road 'improvement' schemes, and lack of foresight for oil running out. The opportunity is there to encourage car users to switch due to high fuel prices, but Worst Group cannot cope, and would actually raise prices to deter customers, if necessary (As proved elsewhere). Similarly, the Government is so busy wasting money on ID Cards, wars, road-pricing, c*ap computer systems, rubbish weighing schemes, alcohol awareness ads etc. that it needs the petrol tax, so has no incentive to even try and improve Public Transport.

As for these Bus Routes, just wait until they are up and running, they will soon be open to all as a 'Premium Car Route', at a cost - In other words for the wealthy, and no doubt senior Council staff. I am far from a tree-hugging green, and I am totally opposed to these half-baked ideas.

Archived