IGNORED

2008 Atlantic Hurricane Season Fantasy League

chowie

Just reply to this thread with your 4 picks, people can have the same name picks but not the same 4 picks. If that makes sense.

My four are Gustav, Ike, Kyle & Marco

ok for me it will be

Gustav, Hanna, Ike, Josephine

Ok not many entries, the season is about 12 hours away and already there is a disturbance in the North West Caribbean area. This is actually from the remains of the first Pacific storm "Tropical Storm Alma" and showing signs of strengthening which could make Arthur. So I would probably say no more entries once Arthur is formed.

Isn't this gallows humour for a Floridian chowie?

Making it more interesting here are the "ones":

Bertha - watch out, big girl

Edouard - has to be

Nana - na na na

Teddy - again, has to be

Start heading inland now.

:laugh: yes I suppose it is but I'm not native Floridian and actually they are a rare breed here. But we have to keep an eye on these things so just makes it a bit more interesting. If a big one comes here and you don't hear from me again, I win Ok :winner_third_h4h:

Oh and Tropical Storm Arthur has made his debut, it's in Belize, it's not expected to become a Hurricane, but could reform has a storm again and head to Mexico.

Arthur = 15 points so far and still active.

I'm still going to keep it open for a bit (seeing the season still has not started) but no Arthur choices allowed.

Fag

Josephine

Nana

Paloma

Fag :noexpression:

I think I would have rather mixed emotions when one of the 4 I had picked is bearing down on me as a Cat 5. And I think 5 points for hitting Cayman is way too low: tiny blip in the West Gulf is hard to hit.

Yes is hard to hit but I took the points system from another site so I'll keep as is. You going to give 4 names.

Bit late!!!!

Arthur, Fay, Sally, Teddy

Sorry too late for Arther (choose another quick), Arthur has already been and gone scored 35 points as a TS over Mexico and Belize. It's all been fairly calm in the Atlantic tropics since then.

Charlie,

Isabelle,

Luke,

Peter

Where did you get those names!!! See first post. Charlie & Isabelle are retired names.

Anymore entering will have to be quick, somethings stirring.

The Atlantic is stirring, too. A strong tropical disturbance has moved off the African coast SSE of the Cape Verde Islands. Environmental conditions appear favorable for slow development of this system as it plows westward at 15 to 20 mph.

Forgive me if I am wrong but if this how the naming convention works.

They pick a name for each letter of the alphabet (excluding Q, U, X, Y, Z) and then each storm gets the next letter in the alphabet?

i.e storm 4 of the season would be dolly?

Correct, it also goes boy/girl boy/girl, there are six set's of names, so this current set would be used again in 2014, a major hurricane will have it's name retired i.e. Katrina and replaced with another name in that set, in this case Katia. In 2005 it went past W (wilma) for the first time and then the Greek Alphabet was used Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon.

Bertha - watch out, big girl

This could be true, Bertha has gone from a weak Tropical Storm to almost (90 mph winds with gusts of 115 mph and growing) a Cat 2 Hurricane (94 mph) in less than 12 hours, the first of the season. Computer models expecting it to turn North/North West and not making landfall (maybe Bermuda). But the more westerly she goes the more threat it will become to the USA.

This could be true, Bertha has gone from a weak Tropical Storm to almost (90 mph winds with gusts of 115 mph and growing) a Cat 2 Hurricane (94 mph) in less than 12 hours, the first of the season. Computer models expecting it to turn North/North West and not making landfall (maybe Bermuda). But the more westerly she goes the more threat it will become to the USA.

I've turned my fan on!

I've turned my fan on!

That's some fan you got Eddie, Bertha is now a major Cat 3 Hurricane (sustained winds are 120mph) it looks like this could be the peak strength for Bertha, expected to slowly weaken from here in. Will still be a Hurricane for a while yet but the East Coast US is looking more safe on each advisory... Still a threat to boats I suppose with it generating 15-30ft waves and it's twitchy bum time for people in Bermuda, expected to be near there on Saturday.

Well Bertha is still active, 15 days is the 2nd longest named storm ever I believe. It missed Bermuda but did cause some problems there, also 2 deaths in New Jersey USA were blamed on the storm that was hundreds of miles away but still caused high waves and rip tides across Eastern USA.

So Cat 3 was the peak strength (30 points) it has been a tropical storm (65mph winds) for a while now and Bertha will transition into a strong extra-tropical North Atlantic storm but remains no threat to land. Although the Northern British Isles has a chance of this storm affecting weather conditions next week.

Cristobal should be soon coming, it's very active out there including a low that has given Florida lots of rain this week and is now turning in the Atlantic after crossing Florida from the Gulf of Mexico.

Bertha finished with 30 pts

Cristobal is in fact now a Tropical Storm (was the low that past over Florida) not hit any land and is expected to follow the east coast US line, some strengthening but not expected to be a hurricane, but I won't be surprised if it did just make hurricane status at some point.

Dolly is also active, also a tropical storm and has hit Mexico (just on the coast line) but the interesting part with Dolly is she's now in the Gulf of Mexico so is expected to grow into a hurricane (probably cat 1 or 2). Projected path for the next landfall is bang on the USA/Mexico border on Wednesday night. A hurricane watch is now posted from Brownsville, Texas northward to Port O'Connor.

Also a Tropical wave is being watched just off the coast of Africa, it's busy.

Update on points;

Arthur (45) Tropical Storm (5) Land hit Belize (10) & Mexico (30)

Bertha (30) Cat 3 Hurricane (30)

Cristobal (5) Tropical Storm (5), still active

Dolly (35) Tropical Storm (5), Land Hit Mexico (30), still active

Yep, Dolly is making all the news, it's big, winds now just 9mph short of a Hurricane, expected to be that later today, Southern Texas has suffered a drought so could do with some rain and Dolly should bring a fair bit even if not a direct hit. Lots of oil rigs now evacuated so fuel prices will rise again. Alert status has gone from Hurricane watch to Hurricane warning (last night), which means hurricane conditions expected within 48 hrs, it's approx 30 hrs away now. No evacuation orders.

Had to get a pic up to show the size of this. Can you spot Dolly!!!!

34sple1.jpg

I've been thinking of donating to otib so to make this more interesting I'm going to use this for basing my donations;

TS $2

Cat 1 $3

Cat 2 $4

Cat 3 $5

Cat 4 $6

Cat 5 $8

So I make that I owe otib 2+5+2+3=$11 with guessing $3 for Dolly, will donate monthly.

Archived