IGNORED

We Could Save Money If...

petehinton

If we could make him fitter and have a better attitude in a game (wanting the ball non stop) we could save a lot of money !

No one in that league (unless you play Mifsud CB) Would keep up with him and he would bang in the goals like he did at Hibs

3 against Rangers Rovers :fingerscrossed:

Me thinks it's a good plan anyway

Just get him on the Tredmill and GJ can strut his stuff with his mind and we have our 20 goal striker !

Thoughts ?

If we could make him fitter and have a better attitude in a game (wanting the ball non stop) we could save a lot of money !

No one in that league (unless you play Mifsud CB) Would keep up with him and he would bang in the goals like he did at Hibs

Just get him on the Tredmill and GJ can strut his stuff with his mind and we have our 20 goal striker !

Thoughts ?

What are you talking about?

Sproule is nothing but fit, and that and his attitude are the just about the only things going for him.

As for your next point: I think you're forgetting to score goals you need to be good at football. "bang in the goals like he did at hibs" - he did not bang in the goals at hibs. He scored three counter-attack goals in one game. Apart from that he was a sub.

as for your final point: In order to get past people you need to have experience and good movement not just pace.

In order to score 20 goals you need to be able to shoot not to run.

In order to make a striker you do not just put a sprinter on a treadmill.

Thoughts? Literally everything you have said is wrong, unless you are trying to point out that he clearly couldn't be a striker through antithesis: if so I congratulate you on a highly amusing and satirical topic.

Tiny bit harsh. Give him a rest was only a suggestion.

Sproule is one of the annoying ones as he has so much potential but just lacks the necessary things. I really think GJ can sort him out this pre-season, now that he's had a year's experience with him and can turn him into a brilliant player. He's still young and has a good few years left in him yet.

Sproule was basically a supersub at Hibs. He was great to bring on out wide (and was decent playing up front but never ever a 20 goal a year striker) to run at tired defenders.

He never banged them in at Hibs. He scored 3 against Rangers in one game and while that was pretty impressive, he did little else. He did have one stonking game against Dunfermline when Hibs won 4-0 but other than that he was average.

He's hardly lacking in fitness and his attitude is fine, apart from a couple of red cards he picked up at Hibs due to petulence. Something that hasn't been a problem here so far.

LouieDane may have been harsh but he's right. I watched Sproule a lot when he was playing at Hibernian and he was ok most of the time, very occasionally brilliant, and occasionally awful. Nothing much has changed. He's had a couple of good games, and couple of terrible games and he's been mostly alright at Bristol City.

Thoughts ?

Bloomin nonsence.

I have been tempted to comment on some of your other posts but just couldnt resist this time.

I think you are well off the mark in your comments.

Seems to be fit to me, attitude seems ok also.

WTF is sticking him on a treadmill going to achieve.

He has never been a heavy goal scorer.

If you have played football you would realise that there is far more to scoring goals than just pure pace, if not lets take on Dwain Chambers next season......:laugh:

Sproule will never be what we really need but can have the odd moments of brilliance. Still leaves us with a vacancy on the right wing as I don't feel any of the others give us the width/pace that position needs. Yes we shoe horned Noble into that position for the last few games but he's not the long term answer either as his prefered position is in the middle. I am sure we will bring in a decent signing for this position but pinning our hopes on Sproule and thinking he's going to "bang in the goals" - never going to happen!!

think your all being harsh!

sproule could be a great player for us. his performances against shef utd and southampton at home were first class so he is more than able to perform.

i agree that he needs to do it much MUCH more often, but the fact is he can do it. hopefully his first season was a settling in one, and next season he will produce the goods.

from what we saw in the championship last year, i cant think of one right winger that stood out and impressed me.

Sproule was basically a supersub at Hibs. He was great to bring on out wide (and was decent playing up front but never ever a 20 goal a year striker) to run at tired defenders.

He never banged them in at Hibs. He scored 3 against Rangers in one game and while that was pretty impressive, he did little else. He did have one stonking game against Dunfermline when Hibs won 4-0 but other than that he was average.

He's hardly lacking in fitness and his attitude is fine, apart from a couple of red cards he picked up at Hibs due to petulence. Something that hasn't been a problem here so far.

LouieDane may have been harsh but he's right. I watched Sproule a lot when he was playing at Hibernian and he was ok most of the time, very occasionally brilliant, and occasionally awful. Nothing much has changed. He's had a couple of good games, and couple of terrible games and he's been mostly alright at Bristol City.

I agree, he allways seems more affective when he comes on as sub...he seems to get more involved, want the ball and run at defenders more! when he starts he dosent seem to get involved as much and seems to burn out by 60ish minutes!

Guest DanC

Thoughts ?

If I spend the summer on the treadmill will City offer me a contract as there new 20 goal a season striker?

I have to say that I too think the responses to this thread have been a bit harsh. The basic premise that an in-form Sproule could save us dipping into the transfer market for a right-winger is reasonable - what the rest of you have pointed out is that even an 'in-form' Ivan is not going to be a 20-goals a season man (or anywhere near it), so the spend might be inevitable.

About his talent - or lack of it from some of your perspectives - I think its wise to take the views of the chaps on here who have seen him play most often. Particularly because he had such a mixed bag of brilliant and shocking (Wolves in particular) games last season. Those who are saying that he doesnt possess basic footballing skills are being extreme (and disrespectful tbh).

Consensus, from previous career and what we've seen down AG, seems to be that Ivan drfits in and out of games (especially if he starts), and one outstanding performance does not mean the next one will be of the same quality. Classic off-the-bench, impact player material that isn't it? Maybe we shouldn't expect more from him than that?

Trouble is, when you've seen the goal that he scored against saints at AG, and the way that he ripped argyle to shreds at home park, it's difficult to accept that he wont / can't do that week in week out. I sense that there's is a big goodwill feeling towards Ivan at AG - maybe we want him to become Scotty II - I know I do! - I wonder if Ivan realises that?

I'm with those who feel that 07-08 was Ivan's settling down season at AG, and, similarly to Trunds, GJ will not be making so many allowances for variable performances in the season ahead. It's time to do the business on a consistent basis or I'm afraid its Byfield / Enoch time.

Ivan has the ability to become a much better player than Scott ever was, he just needs to spend time on the training ground improving his crossing and need to find a way to gain some consitency.

Overall though, Sproule has been exactly what I expected when we signed him based on what the hibs fans said, Brilliant One Week, Awful the next week, but overall works hard for the team, but does drift in and out of games, unfortunately following his signing all some people remembered was the GOOD that hibs fans said about him and so some unfortunately over hyped him.

It's worth remembering that this season only his 3rd FULL SEASON as a Professional Full Time player and he's still learning and improving, personally I believe next season he will come on and become an even better player, just look at Bradley Orr when he signed and the player he is now.........thanks the Johnson magic touch, Ivan has the raw ability to become an EXCELLENT player, just needs some work here and there like most players, hence why he's not already at a higher level,

If he could learn to cross a ball it would be a good start.

Actually he produced the best cross I saw all season, possibly from anyone at any level, that being the cross from which Michael McIndoe headed the second goal at home to Sheff Utd. Delivered at top pace, right on the goal line, I don't think you will see a better cross at Ashton Gate for years. Don't tell me the lad can't cross a ball.

think your all being harsh!

sproule could be a great player for us. his performances against shef utd and southampton at home were first class so he is more than able to perform.

i agree that he needs to do it much MUCH more often, but the fact is he can do it. hopefully his first season was a settling in one, and next season he will produce the goods.

from what we saw in the championship last year, i cant think of one right winger that stood out and impressed me.

Lee Crofts of Norwich had a great game in front of the Dolman, I'd certainly swap him for Ivan.

Ivan did put in one superb cross for McIndoe's header but this was the exception rather than the norm - the vast majority of his crosses are low, weak and fail to get past the first defender.

If he's going to be played as a winger who creates chances he has to learn to be far more deliberate and precise when crossing.

I don't want to save money, I want to go out and splash the cash and show that we mean business and we are a force to be reckoned with!!!

I do appreciate though that with spending large amounts comes the additional pressure that we are expected to perform, we can and must handle this. I do honesty think now though that we really must push the boat out and speculate to accumulate. We must emulate West Brom (in our own way) and not become a victim of second season syndrome. I think this is a huge season coming up, real make or break time and our ambition must be clear.

No I don't want to see the club in huge debt, think we are safer than many clubs in that respect. But to be fair many clubs should know more about than this time last year and with our recent (almost) success they will be aware we should have additional money to spend, so any player will have his price when we come sniffing. We must get the very best we can afford, no saving a few quid on 2nd choice players, we must get our man/men and move onto the next stage in the club history!

I agree, there's nothing wrong with his crossing - it's his erratic finishing that needs addressing.

Just 2 very well taken goals all season tells a tale, he panics when in with a chance and he needs to work hard on that aspect of his game.

Not sure that is something that can be changed by hard work.

His buzzing nature, as typified by his speed, may mean that panicky moments when he has time to stop and think are part and parcel of his make up.

Lee Crofts of Norwich had a great game in front of the Dolman, I'd certainly swap him for Ivan.

Ivan did put in one superb cross for McIndoe's header but this was the exception rather than the norm - the vast majority of his crosses are low, weak and fail to get past the first defender.

If he's going to be played as a winger who creates chances he has to learn to be far more deliberate and precise when crossing.

so the perfect cross he put in for mcindoe's goal away to norwich doesnt count?

not to mention his two solo wonder goals against southampton and colchester...

the point is he has the ability, but needs to produce it more often. those who say he lacks basic skill havent got a clue!

so the perfect cross he put in for mcindoe's goal away to norwich doesnt count?

not to mention his two solo wonder goals against southampton and colchester...

the point is he has the ability, but needs to produce it more often. those who say he lacks basic skill havent got a clue!

The odd wonder goal and perfect cross simply aren't enough. The fact we can name four instances over a season says it all.

This is a dog eat dog league and a measure of consistency is key - Ivan simply doesn't offer that.

The odd wonder goal and perfect cross simply aren't enough. The fact we can name four instances over a season says it all.

This is a dog eat dog league and a measure of consistency is key - Ivan simply doesn't offer that.

i agree 100% that he needs to add the consistancy to his game cus the odd decent perfomance isnt enough. but what winds me up is people he say he hasnt got any ability at all, when he clearly has.

hopefully next season we will see the consistancy, but certainly no need to rush out and buy a right winger!

i agree 100% that he needs to add the consistancy to his game cus the odd decent perfomance isnt enough. but what winds me up is people he say he hasnt got any ability at all, when he clearly has.

hopefully next season we will see the consistancy, but certainly no need to rush out and buy a right winger!

Not saying he hasn't got the skill, but that only makes his failure to produce it regularly all the more infuriating.

We all hope he will find more consistency but we can't afford to rely on it, hence I hope we sign Crofts for competition and that Ivan can find enough form to give him a real run for his money.

It's definitely a position in the squad that needs strengthening.

Ivan has the ability to become a much better player than Scott ever was, he just needs to spend time on the training ground improving his crossing and need to find a way to gain some consitency.

Overall though, Sproule has been exactly what I expected when we signed him based on what the hibs fans said, Brilliant One Week, Awful the next week, but overall works hard for the team, but does drift in and out of games, unfortunately following his signing all some people remembered was the GOOD that hibs fans said about him and so some unfortunately over hyped him.

It's worth remembering that this season only his 3rd FULL SEASON as a Professional Full Time player and he's still learning and improving, personally I believe next season he will come on and become an even better player, just look at Bradley Orr when he signed and the player he is now.........thanks the Johnson magic touch, Ivan has the raw ability to become an EXCELLENT player, just needs some work here and there like most players, hence why he's not already at a higher level,

Agree, he has the raw potential to be an absolutely quality player, he's a late starter in football, similar to Trundle who didn't turn pro until he was 24 odd, and didn't really start to do much of huge note until he was 28 odd, always had the raw potential but took him a while to exibit it. Needs to be encouraged to hug the touchline more and run onto the ball rather than picking it up stationary and using his incredbile acceleration and pace to beat players. From watching him he improved greatly as the season progressed, in the early season he was great at times and crap at others, his level of consistency improved greatly towards the end of the season when he started the odd game.

If he just got into more crossing positions it would be a help, as if he puts in 8-10 crosses a game he's going to get the odd one right, Bradders generally can't cross for toffee, but he's not afraid of having a go and at times because of this puts in some simply brilliant balls, Sproule seems afraid to get it wrong so puts in less crosses, and they are often a bit gash.

Sproule sums up City at our worst this season, afraid to take a chance, against Hull i saw in the first 20 mins enough to get me worried because we looked afraid to try anything inventive, against Palace wer played with freedom and were trying the difficult things, some went wrong but a lot went right and thats why we beat them, against Hull we were scared and it just wasn't working in final third because we wern't trying to find that killer ball.

When we play with freedom there was only one side who could beat us last season and that was West Brom, and frankly when we played with that freedom i'd back us against a good few sides in the lower reaches of the Prem, when we clammed up and stopped trying to play those balls, which is probably the biggest thing we missed without LJ the fact that he will have a go at the killer ball, and is not afraid to get it wrong, which will happen as the perfect ball is always the easiest to get wrong and the one that looks the worst when it does go wrong, as when it's done right it has to be close enough to the defender it's bypassing to make him think he can get it, but just far enough away so he can't which takes him out of the game completely, Noble is a perfect example, he more than has the ability to play these passes, and for me has the best vision and passing ability of any of our midfielders, but he does noticably clam up at times and just will not attempt the pass, whereas LJ never hides and is always willing to have a go, sometimes he gets it wrong, but he will still try again 2 minutes later and when he gets them right we have the goal at our mercy.

Thoughts ?

He should at least be a bit more consistent. Maybee it will come in his second year. Players with flair are often very good or very poor - it's nothing in between.

He must be disappointed with the second part of the season. We have had absolutely no problem with his attitude (not many yellow and no red cards like in Scotland) and his defensive play has been very good. I would like to see Gary Teale signed as compliment. A very good player.

Archived