IGNORED

Let's Bring Nicky Maynard To City

Belfastcityfan

QUOTE TIN.

I'm undecided on Mifsud. I don't think he's as good as what people make out and, according to Beast 23 who claims to be his cousin and sits in front of me in the Atyeo, he's already tried to get a trial with City only to be rejected cos he was too small. How much truth there is in that, I don't know. He could be just a flash in the pan on the early part of the season and faded badly towards the end. Think there's better out there myself but wouldn't be disappointed if we went in for him. Think he'd command a hefty seven-figure fee though as Reading were quoted £5m in January.

Mate, whilst you make good points throughout your post, please don't take the words of Beast 23 as gospel!! :w00t: He looks like he can't even tie his laces!

Lot's of players failed to make it on trial, only to go on to have very successful careers. Misfud to me seems an excellent prospect, but someone who may need the expert guidance and motivation that Sir Gary is renowned for, so it think he could be a great success here. Coleman will want to rebuild, and will get knowhere near £5m for him. At around £1m - 1.5m i think he represents great value.

Don't be too quick to right off the interest in Keogh too... :shifty:

Mate, whilst you make good points throughout your post, please don't take the words of Beast 23 as gospel!! :w00t: He looks like he can't even tie his laces!

Lot's of players failed to make it on trial, only to go on to have very successful careers. Misfud to me seems an excellent prospect, but someone who may need the expert guidance and motivation that Sir Gary is renowned for, so it think he could be a great success here. Coleman will want to rebuild, and will get knowhere near £5m for him. At around £1m - 1.5m i think he represents great value.

Don't be too quick to right off the interest in Keogh too... :shifty:

Most Wolves fans I spoke to before the game against them regarded Keogh as their best player, and I don't think Mad Mick has managed to find a reason to fall out with him yet so whilst it's possible we're interested I think that's a non starter. They don't need or want to sell - and even though we had a great season could he really be convinced we had more chance of going up than Wolves?

Mifsud is a good player but again why would they sell? Coleman will want to rebuild sure but that doesn't mean selling your best players it means getting rid of your cack ones. If he does decide to sell the only reason I can think of is that he would get enough money to fund several other areas of the team and I reckon that would mean significantly more than £1.5m.

I think players like McCormack, Lita and Maynard are more realistic but given the likely prices and competition for them I really still think for strikers at least we'll see players come in from overseas that we haven't heard of before. Signing top strikers in the UK is very expensive and GJ doesn't like putting all his eggs in one basket as far as I can see.

I have always rated Maynard and it is not often you will find such an established player at such a young age. I will trust GJ whoever he brings in but if we were to sign Nicky Maynard I would be over the moon :englandsmile4wf:

would be nice but not as our main signing who the fans pin all their hopes on because he is too young for that... he will need a stalwart next to him, trundle and adebola can do this but someone else with experience at the highest level, andy cole for example has all the experience in the world and proved last year during his time at burnley that at this level h is still a quality striker

I think players like McCormack, Lita and Maynard are more realistic but given the likely prices and competition for them I really still think for strikers at least we'll see players come in from overseas that we haven't heard of before. Signing top strikers in the UK is very expensive and GJ doesn't like putting all his eggs in one basket as far as I can see.

Isn't that what we did last summer with Trundle? We clamoured, rumour mongered all summer for a new striker and the saga dragged on and on until we'd lost every other target so we eventually signed Trunds. Just a thought but GJ's record with bringing in decent strikers is his only blemish on a near enough faultless City career to date. To have 24 strikers in three seasons and not find one worth sticking with is quite some record that needs to improve.

Isn't that what we did last summer with Trundle? We clamoured, rumour mongered all summer for a new striker and the saga dragged on and on until we'd lost every other target so we eventually signed Trunds.

We spent £3m in total last season, only a third of it was on Trundle. I reckon we'll spend £2-3m this close season and I doubt he will be willing to spend the majority on one player which for Maynard or Lita would be necessary.

Just a thought but GJ's record with bringing in decent strikers is his only blemish on a near enough faultless City career to date. To have 24 strikers in three seasons and not find one worth sticking with is quite some record that needs to improve.

I agree with that, it's the only thing I find frustrating because I don't think it's that difficult to identify goalscorers. They score goals after all. Then of course you have to narrow it down to who's available, who has the right mentality etc, which is trick admittedly but we see other clubs signing quality strikers so it can be done and we have ended up with some fairly mediocre forwards. If you look at the ones we "missed out" on like Reddy, Hayter, Holt and Pospisil they're not particularly inspiring either. That said I think we'll definitely have a stronger forward line than last season though.

We spent £3m in total last season, only a third of it was on Trundle. I reckon we'll spend £2-3m this close season and I doubt he will be willing to spend the majority on one player which for Maynard or Lita would be necessary.

From what I've heard we've got close to £5m available this summer. I reckon we could get Lita or Maynard for around the £1.5m mark personally which wouldn't dent the transfer war chest that much.

I agree with that, it's the only thing I find frustrating because I don't think it's that difficult to identify goalscorers. They score goals after all. Then of course you have to narrow it down to who's available, who has the right mentality etc, which is trick admittedly but we see other clubs signing quality strikers so it can be done and we have ended up with some fairly mediocre forwards. If you look at the ones we "missed out" on like Reddy, Hayter, Holt and Pospisil they're not particularly inspiring either. That said I think we'll definitely have a stronger forward line than last season though.

You're right about that. It's not hard to find goalscorers. The one that irritated me was Ebanks-Blake. If Wolves knew that there was a clause in his contract allowing him to leave for £1.5m, then seemingly why didn't we know about it? These players, especially one's that have dropped down from big clubs like Ebanks-Blake did, often have clauses inserted to allow them to leave for a fair price. If we'd have got him in January, we'd be talking a different calibre of player all together now. The players we have been strongly linked with, as you mentioned, hardly set the pulses racing and neither does Tyson.

You're right about that. It's not hard to find goalscorers. The one that irritated me was Ebanks-Blake. If Wolves knew that there was a clause in his contract allowing him to leave for £1.5m, then seemingly why didn't we know about it? These players, especially one's that have dropped down from big clubs like Ebanks-Blake did, often have clauses inserted to allow them to leave for a fair price. If we'd have got him in January, we'd be talking a different calibre of player all together now. The players we have been strongly linked with, as you mentioned, hardly set the pulses racing and neither does Tyson.

I actually think it is quite the opposite; it's tremendously difficult to find goal scorers for our team. What is easy is identifying players who can score goals for other teams.

Ebanks-Blake had scored less than Byfield from open play when he move to Wolves and although he turned out out be a steal he could just have easily been an Andy Gray or an Ellington; expensive, season-damaging mistakes.

The trick is fitting prolific players into how we play. After a cracking 07/08 have a pretty settled squad who have shown they can perform at this level, and now need a quality striker to top it off. I'm more confident GJ will find that elusive player this summer, as not only do we have the structure to place them into but the reputation to attract the type of player we could not have dreamed of this time last year.

Last summer we were dead certs for relegation by all accounts, so getting prolific league one strikers was about our best hope, and we did well with that. Summer before we got Jevons and Showunmi, both strikers who had shown they could find the net at league one level, which was what we needed. Now I expect us to be in a position to attract Championship goal scorers and for us to have more sucess in getting them.

To be honest Tyson doesn't really get me excited either, and GJ seems to have a blind spot when it comes to strikers, but be it Tyson, McCormack, Maynard, Rasiak, Keogh, Clarkson, Lita or anyone else I am more convinced that whoever we bring in this summer will be of a higher quality and great goal threat than last year. The fact is we are discussing some great players and if we got even one of the above I'd be delighted.

Archived