IGNORED

Blackburn Vacancy

Prague Red

Guest Garfunkle
Big sam will be the new Blackburn manager....

FACT

you will be very interested in the 4/6 on offer for him to be the new manager then

No way...plenty more experienced managers. GJ is unproven at above CCC level, there are loads of others who would appeal more, purely on experience gained at higher level..

Sven

Billic

Allerdyce

Coleman

Roy Keane

Jurgen Klinsmann

Steve Bruce

klinsmann?!?!?! why the hell would anyone leave bayern munich, a massive club in the champions league, to go and manage blackburn?!

Not feeling as nervous as I was yesterday about this thanks to the comments on this thread. Still its a mark of how far we've come that we need to any kind of nerves about losing our manager to a Premier League team.

Also when you've got GJ whose won 3 promotions (almost 4), plus managed internationally over a 10 year + career with odds of 33/1 and Paul Ince who has managed for only 2 season in the basement league and won 1 promotion quoted at at least half those odds it just goes to show logic goes out of the window in football

I reckon, and this isn't going to go down to well but some City fans are a little deluded by the attractiveness of GJ to existing Premier League Clubs.

Let's face it, it's a managerial merry-go-round amongst fashionsable managers already 'in the club' hence why the same names with the same mediocre track records and mediocre reputations keep popping up.

Think this is excellent news for us, main threat being bigger, richer Championship Clubs.

I reckon, and this isn't going to go down to well but some City fans are a little deluded by the attractiveness of GJ to existing Premier League Clubs.

Let's face it, it's a managerial merry-go-round amongst fashionsable managers already 'in the club' hence why the same names with the same mediocre track records and mediocre reputations keep popping up.

Think this is excellent news for us, main threat being bigger, richer Championship Clubs.

Agreed. The last Premier League club to take a chance on a manager from a lower division was Everton I believe. That was 6 years ago. They just won't do it nowadays, even Adie Boothroyd didn't get a job offer from one and he actually took Watford up.

I don't have too much fear of richer Championship clubs poaching him after we challenged so well last season, but if we don't compete near the top this season it might be a problem at the end of it. I think GJ will stay as long as he's convinced he can take us forwards - and from his comments I think he looks at the crowds and backing as much as performances on the pitch when judging that.

he's publically stated his loyalty to City.

Of course he is going to say that, City pay's his wages until that tempting offer comes along. He's not exactly going to say ' I am on the look out to further my career but I will stay here in the mean time'

Not feeling as nervous as I was yesterday about this thanks to the comments on this thread. Still its a mark of how far we've come that we need to any kind of nerves about losing our manager to a Premier League team.

Also when you've got GJ whose won 3 promotions (almost 4), plus managed internationally over a 10 year + career with odds of 33/1 and Paul Ince who has managed for only 2 season in the basement league and won 1 promotion quoted at at least half those odds it just goes to show logic goes out of the window in football

I am surprised you were nervous at all.

If City were in the Prem we would attract bigger gates than Blackburn... Blackburn is NOT a step up for GJ and even if it were it would not be anywhere near big enough to lure him away.

I would feel sorry for Blackburn fans if they end up with Allardyce. He might do OK but his brand of football and his style remind me of Warnock. good luck to em but me thinks potential relegation fodder with a few of their first team heading for Eastlands or other pastures new.

Let's be honest, Gary Johnson is only going to go to a club he thinks he can move on to a new level.

He did it with Latvia, he did it with Yeovil, and he's doing it with us. With all thee, he could see there was an opportunity to improve and move us up, and at the moment, there's still that chance with us. He can see we have the potential to go into the Premier League.

Where can he take Blackburn!?

I know they have reached the heights of the title winners, but most of those were won in the 19th century. Ok, they did it in the 90's, but things have changed a lot since then and they're not going to do that again - no matter who's the manager! The best he could do there would be to maintain the status quo - and GJ wants to do more than that.

His next move, if he does move on, would be to another large, underperforming club in the Premier League, or possibly Championship. Some where he knows has the fanbase, stadium, area, history and potential to move onto the next level. A Leeds, Newcastle, West Ham, Nottingham Forest, Southampton, etc. However, none of those is probably in the position fr him to go to at the moment. Some are too successful and some are not successful enough.

I certainly can't see us losing him just yet. My worry is what happens if we don't continue to progress next season...

I think next summer there will be a lot more managerial vacancies out there! Many clubs appointed in the middle of this season and most chairmen will give managers a year to 18 months to settle and sort the clubs out. Next summer they may be looking for a different option!

This is a comment I found on Sky Sports from a Liverpool fan, about the proposed appointment of Allardyce:

I think Rover's fans are looking at the wrong man. Hughes will certainly leave, but I wouldn't choose Big Sam at all as my next manager, or Sven, Steve Mac as manager of any club is just hilarious, who next McCleish? Brian Robson? That idiot at Wolves? The best man I would go for is the man I'd choose for the next England manager - Gary Johnson - at Bristol City - he's by far the best English manager, his incredible record speaks for itself. As a Liverpool fan I'd sack Benitez tomorrow and install Gary Johnson as Liverpool manager right away, but then he's not a big name so no-one is taking much notice of him are they? It's always the big name that gets the the big job, but Gary Johnson is clearly a brilliant manager and deserves to be in a top job.

I love your sig !!!!

I am surprised you were nervous at all.

If City were in the Prem we would attract bigger gates than Blackburn... Blackburn is NOT a step up for GJ and even if it were it would not be anywhere near big enough to lure him away.

You would attract bigger crowds with a stadium of smaller capacity (by about 4,000!) than Blackburn's average gate?!

I also think generally you city fans are generally deluded about the man's ambitions. If you get off to a bad start next year, he will be off like a flash, he only cares about the next stepping stone in his career. He might say he loves the club etc... but that didn't stop him jumping ship pretty quickly when he left us for pastures new. I predict he will be off in about November 2008 time, when the next series of axing Premier League managers takes place.

You would attract bigger crowds with a stadium of smaller capacity (by about 4,000!) than Blackburn's average gate?!

I also think generally you city fans are generally deluded about the man's ambitions. If you get off to a bad start next year, he will be off like a flash, he only cares about the next stepping stone in his career. He might say he loves the club etc... but that didn't stop him jumping ship pretty quickly when he left us for pastures new. I predict he will be off in about November 2008 time, when the next series of axing Premier League managers takes place.

I think he's thinking way into the future - 2011/12 when we have a new 30k ground. And I agree, we would consistently get close to selling that out in a 30k ground.

Don't be so bitter. He left you because he had taken you as far as he could, Conference to League 1.

He has also said that he saw "a couple of moves in us". Well we've only made one of those moves so far, so his work here is not yet done.

I will remind you of that last comment in November.

Deluded? I don't think so :noexpression: What you're reading are the comments of a bunch of city fans who want GJ to stay at city longer and carry on with the job that he has done to date - most of us think that job is unfinished. It is perfectly normal to assess the relative attractiveness of alternative managerial options that GJ might have, now and going forward - BUT, no-one on here is deluded in thinking that GJ is CTID (or even that his view of 'the long term' might be what we consider to be the long term)! Things could look very different in 6 months time, if we get off to either a blinding or **** start to the season.

Lets be honest, Yeovil is only ever going to be a stepping stone for a manger with career aspirations - nice, friendly, family club though it might be. There is no sensible direct comparison between the future prospects of city and your club. So, no hard feelings - but your point regarding his track record in this respect is just not valid. :dunno:

Deluded? I don't think so :noexpression: What you're reading are the comments of a bunch of city fans who want GJ to stay at city longer and carry on with the job that he has done to date - most of us think that job is unfinished. It is perfectly normal to assess the relative attractiveness of alternative managerial options that GJ might have, now and going forward - BUT, no-one on here is deluded in thinking that GJ is CTID (or even that his view of 'the long term' might be what we consider to be the long term)! Things could look very different in 6 months time, if we get off to either a blinding or **** start to the season.

Lets be honest, Yeovil is only ever going to be a stepping stone for a manger with career aspirations - nice, friendly, family club though it might be. There is no sensible direct comparison between the future prospects of city and your club. So, no hard feelings - but your point regarding his track record in this respect is just not valid. :dunno:

Careful SR, how many times have we berated opposition teams over the "Big" club syndrome?

Think you are being paranoid mate.

They would never take a risk on someone like Johnson and I don't think Sparkie will be going anywhere until the Man Utd job comes up. If he accepts Chelsea or Man City he can kiss the Man Utd job away.

how would he kiss the job away? He has only signed a 3 year contract. I expect SAF will retire about the same time his Man City contract runs out. This job will set him up perfectly for the Man u job in my opinion.

Smaller Club - not attractive to G J - Stop being paranoid

but one which has been one of only four clubs to win the Premier League.

I doubt he'll go, but that comment is patronising in the extreme

Archived