IGNORED

Bristol City Fc Of England

Mr Mosquito

Ok ignoring that Forza is an italian word.... and i'm gutted about the Italian result, what's the connection between us and William II?

Basically, a bloke has made some friends here in bristol, some city go over there and they come over here.

Whenever any city are over there Willem II fans are extremly helpful and are really happy to see you (Unlike over here when we had to beg for east end tickets)

The chairman and manager know about bristol city, its why they have asked us to play them in a friendly over here, they seem happy to make it a offical friendship so to say.

City would be daft to turn it down.

Ok ignoring that Forza is an italian word.... and i'm gutted about the Italian result, what's the connection between us and William II?

I've got a lot of respect for Holland and the Dutch people in general. When I was high on marijuana and high strength Dutch lager in Amsterdam I was not arrested and charged as would happen here.

More importantly, on 28 January 1651 the Dutch States-General recognised the English Republic and Commonwealth. On 7th of March a large English Republican delegation of 246 arrived at The Hague, headed by Oliver St John, to negotiate the conditions under which the Dutch Republic might unite itself with the English Republic - this delegation was sent by His Excellency Oliver Cromwell himself. Unfortunately the Dutch were too stunned and confused for a coherent reaction, so after a month the English delegation disclosed a plan by Cromwell to divide the world into two spheres of influence: the Dutch could control Africa and Asia; in return they would assist us English in conquering both Americas from the Spanish. Cromwell hoped that this way the colonial rivalry would be eased by giving us English our own profitable empire. :icecream:

I've got a lot of respect for Holland and the Dutch people in general. When I was high on marijuana and high strength Dutch lager in Amsterdam I was not arrested and charged as would happen here.

More importantly, on 28 January 1651 the Dutch States-General recognised the English Republic and Commonwealth. On 7th of March a large English Republican delegation of 246 arrived at The Hague, headed by Oliver St John, to negotiate the conditions under which the Dutch Republic might unite itself with the English Republic - this delegation was sent by His Excellency Oliver Cromwell himself. Unfortunately the Dutch were too stunned and confused for a coherent reaction, so after a month the English delegation disclosed a plan by Cromwell to divide the world into two spheres of influence: the Dutch could control Africa and Asia; in return they would assist us English in conquering both Americas from the Spanish. Cromwell hoped that this way the colonial rivalry would be eased by giving us English our own profitable empire. :icecream:

you seem a decent chap BUT

YOU REALY ARE MENTAL

That makes sense - quite a nice idea. I was in the general vicinity of Tilburg last summer, no football but I did go to the Tilburg world music festerval, saw some cracking bands from all over the world and slid around in rather a lot of mud. I'd recommend it to anyone - held in a public park in the middle of the town, dirt cheap to get in, a bloody good laugh, some great food and decent toilets.

Haha, I concur Gobbers. Could also roam the streets where the women are very friendly as well.

Surely we should make this an official partnership. Could get some decent young dutchies over here or send people like Plummer out there to get quality experience before playing for our first team. Surely worth looking into...

Haha, I concur Gobbers. Could also roam the streets where the women are very friendly as well.

Surely we should make this an official partnership. Could get some decent young dutchies over here or send people like Plummer out there to get quality experience before playing for our first team. Surely worth looking into...

There was a link between City and one of the Glasgow clubs in the eighties based i think around released players. There is though a lot of possibilties here for Bristol City to create something very postive between fans.

There was a link between City and one of the Glasgow clubs in the eighties based i think around released players. There is though a lot of possibilties here for Bristol City to create something very postive between fans.

I think it was Rangers possibly because of the Jordan and Souness connection. I can't remember a lot happening though. Stuart Munro caem here but that was later, about 1993.

I think it was Rangers possibly because of the Jordan and Souness connection. I can't remember a lot happening though. Stuart Munro caem here but that was later, about 1993.

Well I'm not 'aving anything to do with the Hun meself ! Surely it should be Celtic for Jacki's sake ?

Oranje Boven!

What about old William III, The Dutch King who landed with his army at Torbay (!) invaded England and took the throne from the useless James II in 1688.

and whats more one of the only two statues in the UK of this gent is in Queens Square.

Being Half Dutch myself, I am very proud of my dutch compatriots, especially when they play like they did against the Italians!

Guest MaloneFM

Home and away supporters in the same end? Enjoying themselves? The Plod would have a fit like they did when Preston and us had a pitch invasion and didn't fight.

Oranje Boven!

What about old William III, The Dutch King who landed with his army at Torbay (!) invaded England and took the throne from the useless James II in 1688.

and whats more one of the only two statues in the UK of this gent is in Queens Square.

Being Half Dutch myself, I am very proud of my dutch compatriots, especially when they play like they did against the Italians!

I get the idea that 'leadman' thinks I make up the historical analogies I often refer to. See 'The English delegation to The Hague' at the link below where Oliver Cromwell was eager for the Dutch Republic and English Commonwealth to unite.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Anglo-Dutch_War

When all is said and written our football club would storm the Championship next season with a few choice Dutch signings. Holland is probably the best football nation in Europe per head of population.

Holland is probably the best football nation in Europe per head of population.

Agree with that, although the Portuguese aint bad either.

I must admit, I feel a stronger affinity with the Dutch then all the other European nations that I have come across on my travels. I feel we are very similar people in many ways.

I for one would like to see an official link up between the two clubs.

I wouldnt even mind going over to Holland at some point to take in a game or two of theirs. Of course, we would have to take in the delights of Amsterdam for a day or two..... :innocent06:

Agree with that, although the Portuguese aint bad either.

I must admit, I feel a stronger affinity with the Dutch then all the other European nations that I have come across on my travels. I feel we are very similar people in many ways.

I wouldnt even mind going over to Holland at some point to take in a game or two of theirs. Of course, we would have to take in the delights of Amsterdam for a day or two..... :innocent06:

I'm pretty sure that Holland have reached at least two World Cup finals and have won the European tournament - not bad for a country of just 16 million.

Amsterdam is superb and their team is Ajax - Ajax versus Willem II would surely be the choice fixture for the discerning visiting BCFC supporter.

Amsterdam is superb and their team is Ajax - Ajax versus Willem II would surely be the choice fixture for the discerning visiting BCFC supporter.

Yep, Amsterdam is superb. Great people, great looking women, great beer, and great ......hmmmm........ other things ;)

I would be up for that, in the away end of the fabulous Amsterdam AreNa obviously. I have a friend that lives in Amsterdam and he's an Ajax supporter, so i could meet up with him too.

Yet more great news for our Willem II supporting friends yesterday evening.......

Holland 4 World Champion runners up France 1 !!!!!!!!! :icecream:

To quote one of the world's top news agencies...........

.....GENEVA (Reuters) - World Cup winners Italy and runners-up France were in danger of tumbling out of Euro 2008 at the group stage after the Italians were held 1-1 by Romania and a superb Netherlands humbled the French 4-1 on Friday.

Following their 3-0 thrashing of Italy in their opening Group C match, the Dutch produced another marvellous display, with fit-again winger Arjen Robben setting up one goal and hammering another from a near-impossible angle.

The Dutch goals capped another thrilling day of action on the seventh day of a tournament which has been generally characterised by attacking play, cleanly contested.

2989928231.jpg

Archived