IGNORED

Johnson's 2 Or 3

westy

Keogh was offered a new contract because he's under 24 and the club has to offer him one in order to be entitled to compensation when he moves on.

I'd be astonished if he signs it, and I don't think anyone should read it as a sign that Johnson wants him to stay.

I am getting less and less sure about this edson.

Whilst when it was announced I agreed with you 100%, now I ain't too sure.

Assuming GJ is looking to sign a CB.

1. Our CB's were one of the better areas(consistency wise) of our team last season, so would GJ really be looking to sign a TOP CB that will replace JM,LC or LF?

2. Assuming that 1. is correct(big assumption), then he will probably be looking to replace the back-up Cb position left by Vasko, which could be a ready made replacement in Keogh (who is probably a better defender anyway).

3. Keogh has made some strange comments, both before and after the Wembley game which doesn't sit right with a bloke who is destined to be leaving the club in the summer.

On the other side I can't remember GJ coming out and making any comment on Keoghs offer of a new contract.

Re: Keogh - I think the play off final showed us how valuable Keogh could/should be to us

When Bradley came off GJ was faced with either bringing Vasko on and put him as centre half and push Carey to right back - but I wouldnt have fancied any central pairing without Carey against Hull's two - he could have put Fontaine to left back, McAllister over to right back and Vasko partnering Carey in the centre or just put Vasko in as right back or Fontaine as right back - none of these solutions would have been satisfactory and we surrendered Elliott to right back and that was that.

No other position gave us problems - we had midfielders, strikers centre backs and left back covered but right back was not covered if Bradley got injured - sure if it was a regular league match we could have got by for one match but it does show that to cover that position we would either have had to have Wilson on the bench and remove Sproule - losing an offensive option for a "just in case Bradley gets injured scenario" - not one which is good - now had the Subs bench had Keogh on it then he just replaces Bradley and no problems - had our centre back got injured then he just fits in nicely. Keogh is an obvious.

Whether Keogh stays or goes we need a player in the exact same mold i.e. capable of playing right back or centre back.

Well iv just been told by a Reading Fan that West Brom are now trying to sign Lita which may not sound as stupid as it appears. With Phillips likely to leave as hes only been offered a 1 year contract they do need some re-inforcements, Lita has vital prem experience and is obviously a cheaper option than signing other big names.

I cant see Johnson going out and buying 'big names' or spending lots, he proved last year there are bargains to be had if you look hard enough. The squad just needs a few minor adjustments to perhaps push us on and with Gary putting alot of emphisise on Team Spirit he wont wanna ruin that by signing too many or indeed 'big name, big wages' players like Phillips (who is quality at this level but will go to another club willing to pay his wages). He likes players who want to improve themselves, their ability and have the desire to play at the highest level so it seems more likely he will find 'rough gems' or go to the lower leagues to find good young players.

The 'exciting' players he talks about could perhaps be foreign ones who we have never heard of but I still cant see him spending loads on one as thats not his style. I can see him looking at smaller countries U18 / U21 teams for future gems and build on them.

I just wish I knew some of them myself......

Sherley there would be Premier League teams interested in him?? :noexpression:

Yeah you would think and wages you would think would be an issue, I'm sure he would want to leave Man City and should be an affordable transfer fee, around 1 Mil, only 28 (this week) would be a great catch, worth a bid. If we did he can only turn us down or wait to see if another club comes in.

I'd like to see 2 strikers, one quick striker (ala Maynard/ Lita) and one young target man (Adebola won't last 4 or 5 games in row i don't think and he would be a good player to learn from at training)

Id also like to see a new right winger and another CB.

I know thats four but with GJ you never know, he said last year there would be only small changes and we ended up with 6 or 7 new players!!

he says that to be a diplomat... lets keep it that way by keeping the hysteria under strict control.

so here goes... most of the players we have can do a job for us and get us to the promised land next season but with a few tweaks here and there like a bit of 3 in 1 oil in all departments to get the mechanism flying we will get promoted. no pressure there then.

last season i said we would finish 7th narrowly missing out to wolves on goal diff. funny how wolves themselves lost out on goal diff and finished in 7th. this season I'll be happy with 6th and winning the play offs so thats my prediction and a pretty darned conservative one i reckon.

WOuld it be out of the question to be looking for an icon...to rival trundle and maybe force a great season out of him? a flamboyant [spelling?] midfielder or stylish striker?? one to get the crowd going making Trundle feel, he has to show his guns or we might not need him. I know I want him at the club but friendly competition may bring out his best

And, to have two players dancing round the ball when were 3-0 up at home to Swansea next season would be class.

Archived