IGNORED

Johnson's 2 Or 3

westy

Guest Garfunkle
What positions will they be?? gotta be a striker and a left back where do ya think the 3rd will be?? right wing or another striker

i think 2 strikers and a right winger.

personally i don't rate mcallister but think gj does and wont replace him

Guest Garfunkle
But we need cover and a long term replacement??

fontaine is adequate cover. if they were both to get injured there is the loan system.

i wouldnt have thought a left-back brought in as cover for mcallister wouldnt be classed as one of the "two or three exciting signings" would you?

I'd like to see 2 strikers, one quick striker (ala Maynard/ Lita) and one young target man (Adebola won't last 4 or 5 games in row i don't think and he would be a good player to learn from at training)

Id also like to see a new right winger and another CB.

I know thats four but with GJ you never know, he said last year there would be only small changes and we ended up with 6 or 7 new players!!

I'd like to see 2 strikers, one quick striker (ala Maynard/ Lita) and one young target man (Adebola won't last 4 or 5 games in row i don't think and he would be a good player to learn from at training)

Id also like to see a new right winger and another CB.

I know thats four but with GJ you never know, he said last year there would be only small changes and we ended up with 6 or 7 new players!!

If it is deffo only three, then these would be my favoured areas for strengthening:

1 x Striker - in the role of pacey fox in the box.

- Obviously these are not the easiest fellas to come by but added to Adebola, Trundle, Brooker (please be fit!) and Plumber it gives us a good mix of youth, experience and playing styles.

1 x Left Full back - cover and competition for McAllister.

1 x wide right player - someone better than Sproule that can be effective for the whole 90 mins. (would keep Ivan as a squad player as I think he can be effective when used as an impact player)

Surprised only 2 or 3 - does this mean the kids have got a real oppertunity?

I think it will be more than 2 or 3. Thats just my opinion. GJ said the same last year as mentioned above somewhere and we ended up with 6 or 7. I'm sure GJ is just playing everything close to his chest - he always says that they are monitoring constantly, and if something happens and someone is available, then they'll act.

Think their could be the opportunity for the younger ones like Walker,Ribeiro, Plummer and Artus to push this year though.

Personally I'd like to see us bring in a centre half, a natural wide-right player and a couple of forwards.

Now Vasko has gone back, I'd like to see us bring in a centre half with genuine quality and experience to partner Carey, or at the very least provide competition for Fontaine and McCombe.

Unless Sproule can find better end product, it goes without saying we need another natural option to play on the right.

fontaine is adequate cover. if they were both to get injured there is the loan system.

i wouldnt have thought a left-back brought in as cover for mcallister wouldnt be classed as one of the "two or three exciting signings" would you?

McCallister is a left back i rate, but now would be a good time to replace him - but GJ would'nt call it replacing him - it would be "adding competition to the squad"

I don't rate fontaine at left back at all, he's ok for one game here and there, but he's struggled playing there in the past IMO.

I'd like us to sign a young ish left back already playing at championship level.

Does surman play left back?? i know he's a midfielder and we've been linked to him....

I have a feeling (totally unsourced!), that Johnson won't be looking at a right winger. It would seem a strange decision to give Scotty Murray a contract, regardless of how good a club man he is, if he was to be only our 4th or 5th in line (Noble, Sproule and possibly Wilson would all be ahead of him for a starting spot). That's unless he's expecting one of Noble or Sproule to move on, in which case, there would surely be a replacement.

A striker is a no-brainer. Perhaps he'll get 2 (target man, pace merchant). I'd like to see a new LB: JM is solid enough, but a pretty "forgettable" player. GJ likes his players who can "influence" a game.

I think we'll definitely see another CB come in. GJ likes a big unit, and I'd see him wanting to replace Vasko.

So, in short, I'd predict 2 strikers & a centre half and a left back. Which makes 4. But Gary never keeps his promises anyway.

Why all this speculation about a right winger?

Sproule and Murray are both still at AG. Noble and Wilson have played on the right of midfield as well.

Everyone agrees that City need a striker and no doubt Johnson will be looking to bring in one or two. Imo he has to try and tempt Lita back to AG if a deal can be agreed.I'm convinced Lita would be good for 15-20 goals over the season.

Defensively City could do with some pace in the back four as well as cover now that Vasko has gone.That could be the same player of course.

In midfield a play maker in the Gera mould would be a tremedous asset but I'm not certain that Johnson would see the midfield as a priority.

Two strikers and a defender is my guess.

Sproule and Murray are both still at AG. Noble and Wilson have played on the right of midfield as well.

Because we all know how bad we were last season on the right. Last season we had 5 player play on the right - Murray too old to play 90 mins, Ivan would be dangerous if he had a brain, Wilson right back maybe not a winger and Noble and Carle are not wingers - all this chopping and changing indicates no one commands that spot. Its the same with the strikers how many combinations did we try? We need people who would be first names on the team sheet not the case where we could try and fit people in.

My thoughts exactly, Robbored. If Gary J was looking to buy a right-winger, he'd would have released Murray. Simple as that. Even if Murray goes, City have Brian Wilson &, heck, could even see Kevin Betsey drafted back into the frame (Though, I personally don't rate him much).

For me, it's one striker (plus a fully-fit Steve Brooker who we all agree would be like a new signing for the club); one defender; and one midfield player. I feel City are lacking a real 'bulldog' player, an agressive hard-working player. Someone like Lee Cattermole - a horrible player - would be handy.

As others have pointed out GJ's "2 or 3 signings" this year might be just like last years "4 or 5" which in fact became 7 in the end, the same number he's signed in both previous summers as City boss.

However if he does bring in just 3, I'd guess that two new strikers would be certainties, as the alternative is that we bring in only one and go with just 4 senior strikers, which would include the injury prone Brooker.

The other signing would then presumably be either a right winger or is probably much more likely to be a big centre back to compete with McCombe and replace Vasko, as I just can't see Keogh staying.

Remember when Johnson first signed he promised practically a whole new teams but I think we only signed one. Also couple of weeks ago it was 3 or 4 lined up.

Regarding transfers, I'd only believe what comes out of Johnsons mouth when he is annoucning a signing.

i think GJ is shying away from a centre half with the renewal of keogh's contract; he's bought 4 wingers in the last couple of years in mcindoe, betsy, wilson and as it's turned out, sproule. A speedy striker would be the obvious gap to fill however a winger would add to competition (i've liked wes hoolahan since i saw league cup game in 05 season while up in blackpool and he tore us apart in january when coming on) but johnson has an ability to pluck a player from lower league turmoil to ashton gate and i'd back him to do so.

i think GJ is shying away from a centre half with the renewal of keogh's contract; he's bought 4 wingers in the last couple of years in mcindoe, betsy, wilson and as it's turned out, sproule. A speedy striker would be the obvious gap to fill however a winger would add to competition (i've liked wes hoolahan since i saw league cup game in 05 season while up in blackpool and he tore us apart in january when coming on) but johnson has an ability to pluck a player from lower league turmoil to ashton gate and i'd back him to do so.

Keogh was offered a new contract because he's under 24 and the club has to offer him one in order to be entitled to compensation when he moves on.

I'd be astonished if he signs it, and I don't think anyone should read it as a sign that Johnson wants him to stay.

Archived