IGNORED

Elliott To Boro/derby For £2m

Andy Horsman

The Sunday Mirror suggests that marvellous Marvin is the target of £2M bids from Boro and Derby as we didn't win the play-off final.

Given that Derby are a fellow Championship side now (albeit a wealthy one) and Boro are a relatively modest Premier League side, would he, could he, should he?

SL and GJ have suggested that we won't be selling our best players unless the offer is 'too good', but £2M profit in 12 months might be too tempting.

Probably the tabloid's putting 2 and 2 together to fill columns, but what does everyone think?

Although the interest doesn't surprise me I can't see him leaving just yet. I think if any of our top players will leave it will be in January. They can see if we're pushing for promotion again then. If not I think we may see one or two leave.

Sheff Utd want £4m for Michael Tonge, Barnsley want £4m for Howard. I think we should be looking for the same at the very least.

I understand what you are saying about it being a massive profit 12 months on but how much would it cost for us to replace Marv? Moving to Boro to sit in there reserves and what would moving to Derby achieve?

For myself personally its "No Deal" We don't need to sell as Johnson and Lansdown has said and Marvin does seem to be enjoying himself here.

The Mirror is the shittest paper around. I wouldn't believe anything they have to say.

Given the way they took the piss out of our 'little' club all season and in the run up to the play-off's, it seems unsettling our squad is high on their agenda this summer.

Marvin is the best central midfielder in this league when at the top of his game and there is no way he should be sold for anything less than £5m. A move to Boro or Derby would be a sidewards move for him anyway.

The Mirror is the shittest paper around. I wouldn't believe anything they have to say.

ROFLMFAO!!! £2m bids should just be ignored as they disrespectful to the club and player! :ranting:

They're not even that good, the Star has more credibility imho.

GJ and the club have been a big factor in Marvins development, even for such a short stink at the club hes come on massively since his move from Millwall, reason is GJ and our ethic.

For a player of his importance to the team its imperative we reject all bids, irrespective of the fee. We will not be able to replace what he does for £5m. We need to be thinking more along the lines of 10m before SL steps in.

£2m is all good and well in the bank, but the detriment to the playing squad will be greater.

So unless an adequate/superior replacement is found for less money, no deal.

This isnt League 1 anymore, if we want to compete, £2m is peanuts, and our mouthes shouldnt start watering.

£2m is all good and well in the bank, but the detriment to the playing squad will be greater.

So unless an adequate/superior replacement is found for less money, no deal.

This isnt League 1 anymore, if we want to compete, £2m is peanuts, and our mouthes shouldnt start watering.

As a good yard stick, if Ferre Bodde (Swansea) is worth £2m, Marvin having proven himself at a higher level all season round, is worth double that. Even then, after last years exploits, we shouldn't be looking to sell our prized assets anymore, let alone to the crappest team the prem has ever known, who will be one of our rivals next season.

Marvin Elliot is the least replaceable player in our squad by a very long way. What makes him so irreplaceable is that he's not only quick, young and fantastic in the air: but also he's got very good anticipation on the pitch - the most important attribute for a defensive midfielder (as proved by the fact that Makelele is the best in the world at it and is 35).

If we sold Marvin and played with Skuse instead, even if we invested the £5 million I think we could easily demand well in the rest of the squad, I don't think we would finish anywhere near 4th nest season. I'm praying that this is just another paper filler - though I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't quite a few Premier league clubs looking at him and wandering if we would sell him. I'm also praying we wouldn't.

Marvin Elliot is the least replaceable player in our squad by a very long way. What makes him so irreplaceable is that he's not only quick, young and fantastic in the air: but also he's got very good anticipation on the pitch - the most important attribute for a defensive midfielder (as proved by the fact that Makelele is the best in the world at it and is 35).

If we sold Marvin and played with Skuse instead, even if we invested the £5 million I think we could easily demand well in the rest of the squad, I don't think we would finish anywhere near 4th nest season. I'm praying that this is just another paper filler - though I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't quite a few Premier league clubs looking at him and wandering if we would sell him. I'm also praying we wouldn't.

The prospect of Skuse replacing Elliot is terrifying.

Guest shane
Haha I thought that myself but considered it far to cynical even for me, would make perfect bloody sence though.. :rolleyes:

Watson at Palace has gone to Qpr for £2.5 million and he is quality.

If Boro offer £2m for Elliott he will be gone. It would be unfair on the player to hold him back.

If Boro offer £2m for Elliott he will be gone. It would be unfair on the player to hold him back.

Agreed, if he wants to go.

If we're difficult then players who see us as a stepping-stone will be put off coming here.

I think there is a bit of truth in all that has been said before now. Granted - £2m+ in a year is big bucks that I don't think City could ignore. Therefore, yes, I think the board would accept the offer. However, there will certainly have been talk with Elliott about the fact that the club don't wish him to move on. When he moved here, Millwall fans were not over-complimentary about him (blows hot and cold was the over-riding theme)

He is clearly one who responds to GJ's management style having bought, 100%, into his ethos and work ethic. He is playing the best football of his career by alll accounts - including his own.

As has been alluded to, Elliott is a smart individual who will be aware of this and, I would guess, only a similar manager may tempt him away to a 'similar' c;ub.

Therefore, the club would be right in accepting and offer (therefore eliminating the risk of a played feeling trapped by a contract he has signed) but would still keep hold of the player - thus strengthening the player/club bond.

IMO

When did that happen???? Can't see anything about it on the BBC website?

When did that happen???? Can't see anything about it on the BBC website?

It hasn't. They're sharking after him but a fee hasn't been agreed yet. Considering he's out of contract next summer, that represents a decent deal for Palace though cos I doubt he'll re-sign with them.

Guest churchill gaffer

Why do we say we are an ambishous Club!

As soon as we get a quality player we sell them!

One season we have a great defence or midfield. But then we sell somebody to get a stricker, and then the defence or midfield is weak!

IMO the one thing that made us what we were last season was MARVIN ELLIOTT!

We need to add to the squad not change it.

Elliott is worth more than 2 million IMO!

If Cotterill was worth 2 million, then Elliott is is worth far more!

Hopefully it is just talk about Derby and Middlesbough offering 2 million!

Come on City lets progress further!

For what it's worth my view is that the club will not be meeting GJ's stated ambition to get to the Premier League, by selling ourselves short, by engaging in the process of flogging the crown jewels of BS3,and marvellous Marvin has got to be worth loads more than £2m TO OUR SIDE.

Successful teams are often defined by their spines, and with the greatest respect to our other midfielders all of whom have skills and strengths of their own, Marvin is integral to our spine, along with Louis and the mighty Basso (hopefully the striker element will be resolved in the fullness of time.)

No deal.......

Coat at the ready.... an in-form Marv is worth more than £2M to US. As others have said..a player can be worth more to a particular team if he brings something to the party that no-one else at the club has - it can work the other way (trunds????) that an obviously very talented player just cannot fit. When he's on his game, Marv is involved in most of the good things we do.

But - coat on and door open - Marv did lose the plot for a while in the middle of last season - along with most of his teamates it's true - stopped getting into the box, running past the attackers, passing a bit less accurate than previously etc. Although, to be fair, he never forgot how to tackle!!!

I think, for now at least, it suits both us and Marv for him to be here. We love him to bits - and he knows that. He also knows that if his game is a bit off, he will be given time to sort it out, and wont be left in the comfy seats of the williams for weeks on end before he gets another chance. In some respects, he's kind of earned that right through his brilliant performances. If he went somewhere else, and you would have to think it would be prem - otherwise what's the point (at least in the short-term) - would they be as patient with him if his form dipped, not sure they would. One of GJ's strengths is undoubtedly his loyalty to players who have performed for him previously when they are struggling a bit, and I think this would probably be a two-way street.

If Marv gets off to another flyer this season like he did last time round, the pressure could build for the Jan window though.

Coat at the ready.... an in-form Marv is worth more than £2M to US. As others have said..a player can be worth more to a particular team if he brings something to the party that no-one else at the club has - it can work the other way (trunds????) that an obviously very talented player just cannot fit. When he's on his game, Marv is involved in most of the good things we do.

But - coat on and door open - Marv did lose the plot for a while in the middle of last season - along with most of his teamates it's true - stopped getting into the box, running past the attackers, passing a bit less accurate than previously etc. Although, to be fair, he never forgot how to tackle!!!

I think, for now at least, it suits both us and Marv for him to be here. We love him to bits - and he knows that. He also knows that if his game is a bit off, he will be given time to sort it out, and wont be left in the comfy seats of the williams for weeks on end before he gets another chance. In some respects, he's kind of earned that right through his brilliant performances. If he went somewhere else, and you would have to think it would be prem - otherwise what's the point (at least in the short-term) - would they be as patient with him if his form dipped, not sure they would. One of GJ's strengths is undoubtedly his loyalty to players who have performed for him previously when they are struggling a bit, and I think this would probably be a two-way street.

If Marv gets off to another flyer this season like he did last time round, the pressure could build for the Jan window though.

Hey, y'see that could work in our favour.... Millwall fans said he usually tailed off after Xmas, and he stayed true to form last year with us, because he was largely anonymous in the 2nd half of the season by the standards he'd set early on. So..... He has a storming start, then - just before he has his form dip - we flog him for £3-4m. He has an awful 2nd half of the season for his new club, who flog him back to us in the summer for £250,000!!!!

Everyone's a winner!!! :dancing6:

For what it's worth my view is that the club will not be meeting GJ's stated ambition to get to the Premier League, by selling ourselves short, by engaging in the process of flogging the crown jewels of BS3,and marvellous Marvin has got to be worth loads more than £2m TO OUR SIDE.

Successful teams are often defined by their spines, and with the greatest respect to our other midfielders all of whom have skills and strengths of their own, Marvin is integral to our spine, along with Louis and the mighty Basso (hopefully the striker element will be resolved in the fullness of time.)

No deal.......

I'd be more worried if we lost LJ

Id be more worried if we lost Nick Carle who will ultimately take his place this year as hes an all round better midfielder and has the quality we need to push us on.

A palace mate in work, reckons they want to offer a million for nick carle, i said we are not league one anymore, you have to start with, at least two million, not that he is going anywhere yet...

Archived