IGNORED

A Club On The Up?

Red Cloud

Apologies for non-city post but heard on BBC Radio Bristol this morning that the gash have withdrawn from reserve league football - read in to that what you will but not exactly "a club on the up" like some of my gash-head mates keep telling me!

Sounds ominous to me!

alot of clubs are doing this i know Derby did this last season. On a side note as anyone heard if we are going to join a mini reserve league? I heard last season there was a possibility we would play bigger clubs eg midlands teams like Brum and Cov instead of the likes of lower league opposition like Cheltenham and Fgr.would be much better for our reserue players to play teams in our league than league 1 and the conference.

alot of clubs are doing this i know Derby did this last season. On a side note as anyone heard if we are going to join a mini reserve league? I heard last season there was a possibility we would play bigger clubs eg midlands teams like Brum and Cov instead of the likes of lower league opposition like Cheltenham and Fgr.would be much better for our reserue players to play teams in our league than league 1 and the conference.

it's not just the quality but the frequencey we can get reserve games.

The more clubs that abandon reserve leagues will only serve to mess it up it for everyone else.

I congratulate them on the forward-looking move - after all, you can probably only have one team in the pontins league, and their current 'first' (ha ha) team will be needing that in the near future the way they're going :fingerscrossed:

No statement from the board again i see (what a surprise) why do i get the feeling our blue friends are in serious financial trouble, never mind irene ,was only a dream :whistle:

Seems like a few clubs are doing this for practical reasons.

Wolves, Coventry and Leiscester have pulled their reserve team for next season and will play friendlies and Derby and Birmingham will not be joining a reserve league following their relegation.

But in the case of the Gas, it may well be financially based.

I cant help feeling this may be the first nail in the Gash coffin. Stadium plans keep getting postponed and now pulling out of the reserves league surely this is no coincidence it must be financial!!!!!

Oh dear, Oh dear.... hahahaha

The future of Bristol Rovers' reserve team is surrounded by uncertainty after it was confirmed the club have pulled out of the Pontin's Combination for next season.

The Pirates have competed in the reserve league for several years and finished eighth in the 10-team Wales & West Division last term. But they have now issued notice to quit.

Combination secretary Derryck Daughtery confirmed: "Bristol Rovers have told us that they will not be competing next season, although they did this well after the deadline date for resignations, which was March 31. Their letter to me was dated May 28."

It is expected that Rovers' place will now be filled by Salisbury City, who have applied to join from next season.

The club's decision not to compete in the Combination - which includes reserve teams from Bristol City, Yeovil Town, Cheltenham Town and Swindon Town - is being seen as a cost-cutting move and the position of their head of youth Kevin Hodges is also unclear.

Hodges joined Rovers in October 2006 to oversee their youth development and also took on responsibility for overseeing a reserve side which contained a high proportion of youngsters.

The former Torquay United and Plymouth Argyle boss had previously been assistant manager at Yeovil Town until the arrival of Russell Slade.

It is understood Rovers may now look to play occasional reserve-team friendlies, while letting some of their younger players out on loan to get more regular football at other clubs.

That process has already started with teenage midfielder James Fraser, who spent part of last season at Tiverton Town, returning to his native Sussex to link up with non-league Lewes for at least the first month of next season.

The decision to quit the Combination has obvious implications not only for the development of the club's younger players, but also for squad members on the fringes of the first team and those looking to regain full fitness after injury.

Nobody at Rovers was prepared to comment, although the club are expected to issue a statement clarifying the situation over the coming days.

Oh dear, Oh dear.... hahahaha

The future of Bristol Rovers' reserve team is surrounded by uncertainty after it was confirmed the club have pulled out of the Pontin's Combination for next season.

The Pirates have competed in the reserve league for several years and finished eighth in the 10-team Wales & West Division last term. But they have now issued notice to quit.

Combination secretary Derryck Daughtery confirmed: "Bristol Rovers have told us that they will not be competing next season, although they did this well after the deadline date for resignations, which was March 31. Their letter to me was dated May 28."

It is expected that Rovers' place will now be filled by Salisbury City, who have applied to join from next season.

The club's decision not to compete in the Combination - which includes reserve teams from Bristol City, Yeovil Town, Cheltenham Town and Swindon Town - is being seen as a cost-cutting move and the position of their head of youth Kevin Hodges is also unclear.

Hodges joined Rovers in October 2006 to oversee their youth development and also took on responsibility for overseeing a reserve side which contained a high proportion of youngsters.

The former Torquay United and Plymouth Argyle boss had previously been assistant manager at Yeovil Town until the arrival of Russell Slade.

It is understood Rovers may now look to play occasional reserve-team friendlies, while letting some of their younger players out on loan to get more regular football at other clubs.

That process has already started with teenage midfielder James Fraser, who spent part of last season at Tiverton Town, returning to his native Sussex to link up with non-league Lewes for at least the first month of next season.

The decision to quit the Combination has obvious implications not only for the development of the club's younger players, but also for squad members on the fringes of the first team and those looking to regain full fitness after injury.

Nobody at Rovers was prepared to comment, although the club are expected to issue a statement clarifying the situation over the coming days.

Does that mean he worked under GJ then?

If so, I'd assume he's a decent coach and available for a move to a more forward thinking club.

Archived