IGNORED

Mclarens New Job

Snufflelufagus

There's no doubt that Barwick is an imbecile and bears the responsibility for appointing a mediocre manager with zero achievements who was a compromise that suited nobody.

However McClaren took the job and the gigantic pay cheque that went with it and the responsibility for team results is solely his. He wasn't sold down the river nor would I describe him as a hard working professional - buggering off to his new carribean holiday home counting his money pretty much the day after we failed.

Bearing in mind that the media had turned him into Public Enemy Number One, do you blame him for leaving the country for a while?

These players are over rated by the media, themselves and us gullible fans.

When we're relying on them to do the business, they simply aren't capable. :disapointed2se:

I agree. I'm always amazed at how the players escape criticism when England underperform.

The media tell us we've got World Class players. Well why don't they qualify for European Championships then?

Yes, there are some fundamental issues with english football - the number of foreign players in the prem being chief amongst them (although we are just about, maybe, to sign an egyptian player ourselves, and our last signing was an aussie :whistle2: ). IMO however, Mclaren has an over-inflated opinion of his own ability - and if he was the honest person that you suggest, he should have recognised himself that he wasn't strong enough in pretty much any of the departments required to be english national coach. Having said that, if he goes on to be a successful club manager - which he hasn't yet been - fair play to him.

All a little bit harsh imho, I thought that SM was quite successfull at Boro', one of the chief reasons that he got the England role surely?

Also, one of the major negativities of his tenure, the simple fact that England has not had a prolific goalscorer since Alan Shearer hung up his boots...to win, you need to score goals.

Why we never qualified? Because we never had a World Class coach!

Maclaren!

Do you really believe that?

Why do World Class players need coaching?

Look at what Chelsea's players achieved under a substandard coach. Or do you think Avram Grant is world class?

The players were 1-0 up against Russia, and 2-2 against Croatia. They managed to lose both. That is not the coaches fault.

Bearing in mind that the media had turned him into Public Enemy Number One, do you blame him for leaving the country for a while?

Yes. He got paid a sodding fortune for failing. Taking a bit of stick is the least he could do.

Blame for appointing him lies with the Sun reading muppets that demanded an English coach and Barwick for sabotaging the Scolari deal by leaking the pay discussions to a BBC journalist but if someone gave me £3m or whatever it was a season I'd have the decency to take it on the chin and admit culpability.

Look at what Chelsea's players achieved under a substandard coach. Or do you think Avram Grant is world class?

What did Chelsea win last season? Nothing!

What would they have won if Jose was still in charge? Who knows.

What will the win next year under a Top class Coach- will we see.

The players were 1-0 up against Russia, and 2-2 against Croatia. They managed to lose both. That is not the coaches fault.

Yes it is, Thats why he aint coach anymore.

SMBrolly.jpg

Muppet!

The FA cocked up appointing SM, Now they are spending more cash getting a Top coach in.

I can't believe people seriously think we're still a decent national side.

Wake up and smell the coffee, people, I reckon our side would have struggle against 80% of the sides at the Euros.

Christ, our keeper is 38 and has no serious competition, we still pick a bloke from the American league, our first 4 strikers now include Defoe and Crouch, and we are completely incapable of playing football that is suited to international football.

How comfortable are English defenders in possession? they are not. How many of them can bring the ball out from defence? 1?

The Premier league contains the likes of Gerard and Lampard, yes, but they are good club players who have never delivered for Engalnd against any side of quality, they are vastly overrated.

We are hyped up by Sky at every tournament only to fail but if you want to believe that it was just down to McClaren that we failed that's fine by me.

we still pick a bloke from the American league.

Playing for England whilst playing in North America!?!? Surely not! :sleeping: People are often calling for England managers to select more players from the Championship... The MLS is easily Championship standard if not better.

Winning these competitions? No. Qualifying for them? Yes.

I take your points sipowicz - on the whole you are correct. I believe we are in a lull, I don't think it will continue and certainly believe not qualifying will be one of the biggest kicks up the backside our better players will ever receive.

Possibly true, i'm too biased to judge!!

Terry?

Ferdy?

A.Cole?

Gerrard?

Micah Richards?

Lampard?

J.Cole?

Rooney?

Owen?

Barry?

Hargreaves?

Off the top of my head...

Cech

Sagna

Vidic

Carvalho

Evra

Ronaldo

Fabregas

Ballack

Van Persie

Drogba

Torres

I know where my money would be if those teams played each other. Especially as you don't have a goalie. ;)

the only englishmen i would take in place would be ferindand for carvalho and gerrard for ballack. apart from that i wouldnt pick any of them. rooney is undoubtbly talented but torres and drogba at the moment imo are of a better standard.

the main problem is we need to play football which is suited to international football. you watch some of the games in the euros they keep the ball and don't give it away cheaply. but when they attack they do it with speed and precise passing and dribbling. what do we do kick it away as soon as possible and move forward slowly and with no final product.

personally i've found the euros far more interesting than when were init because i don't have to listen to all the press talk b#####ks about how were going to win the tournament.

The MLS is easily Championship standard if not better.
I think that you have mis-spelt the word Conference. :laugh: As for us not being in the Euros, we were beaten by two decent teams, our players are not as good as their salary might indicate, we lack depth in a number of positions, a lot of promising players move to the Big 4 and spend too long in the Reserves (Bentley looks like he might be the next one), Carson made a howler, Rooney made a stupid tackle etc. The good thing about us not being there is that the tournament gets covered far more sensibly & intelligently by the media. And this year, it has been a great tournament with some really good football being played.

Archived