IGNORED

A Chance To Show Some Humility

Percy Parrot

This is written as we await final confirmation of Carle's exit but assuming he does go I would like to think that people will afford him some respect.

I have already read the odd post saying "fine, if he doesn't want to be here then he can X,Y,Z". Personally, while I would be gutted if he left I would wish him all the best - and certainly not wish to boo him upon his return.

With many players there seems to be the automatic hatred when they leave. Why? Those who "hate" Holt for not wishing to leave Forest for us last season now criticise Carle for leaving without knowing the truth. So what is it? Are we to hate players who do or don't move? Personally neither.

A player not wishing to join us or leaving us does not mean they think they're better than us. It could be for a number of reasons - perhaps for their career, perhaps for personal reasons, perhaps for money (hey, I would take better money if offered elsewhere!) but that's their choice.

Some people also criticised Showunmi and Clayton Fortune for NOT leaving when we received offers. Perhaps Johnson has had an offer that he feels is good for the football club and asked Carle if he wouldn't mind moving to Palace.

A final thought - every player we have ever signed has had to leave someone to come to us. It doesn't make Basso, McCombe, Noble, Adebola, McIndoe or any of the others traitors, money grabbers or anything else. That's football.

I shall be sad to see Carle leave but all the best to him (just hope he doesn't do anything that will harm our season next term!)

I think people, myself included, just want City to come out and publicly say what is going on.

If GJ's appeared on Radio Bristol this morning then why haven't the official site or BCFC World ran a piece explaining the reasons for his departure?

People are entitled to say what they want because at the end of the day the vast majority of us are gutted to be losing a player that we thought would take the league by storm next season. Until it's cleared up why he's being sold, we'll all be irrate and none the wiser.

For me the most annoying thing is that nearly every media outlet from the Evening Post, WDP, Radio Bristol, BBC Football website among others have all had stories on this, most of which sound pretty accurate and realistic..... and yet our up to the minute award winning website (which seems to be struggling for stories at the moment) has had NOTHING on this, which is a pretty major story that could effect us next season.

At least a small statement or quote from Gary Johnson would be nice just so that it seems we are not hearing news about City from anyone but the official site.

I think people, myself included, just want City to come out and publicly say what is going on.

If GJ's appeared on Radio Bristol this morning then why haven't the official site or BCFC World ran a piece explaining the reasons for his departure?

People are entitled to say what they want because at the end of the day the vast majority of us are gutted to be losing a player that we thought would take the league by storm next season. Until it's cleared up why he's being sold, we'll all be irrate and none the wiser.

Spot on, we need an explanation,

Maybe I am in the minority here. If it turns out City wanted to sell NC then fine but if he has brokered this move purely for greed then I will give him some stick! '1 greedy bas£$%d' comes to mind. We don't know anything yet so I will defer.

Hmmm, interesting one this. I was a huge fan of Carle last season.. BUT... if it comes out that there's been a release clause triggered and Carle has chosen to leave, it'll be BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO from me.

:fingerscrossed: he still won't leave though.

Maybe I am in the minority here. If it turns out City wanted to sell NC then fine but if he has brokered this move purely for greed then I will give him some stick! '1 greedy bas£$%d' comes to mind. We don't know anything yet so I will defer.

I agree with you.

There are some pro's who move on to further their career after giving everything to the club they are at. Mat Hill is one example and as a result the bloke was treated like a hero by us fans at both games against PNE this season.

Carle on the other hand has done nothing for this club so far to deserve anything other than abuse if he leaves due to his insistence.

If though he leaves due to the club asking him to, then he has done nothing wrong and should be treated fairly by us when we play Palace..

Has Nick Carle asked for a transfer...Probably not

Has there been a clause activated in his contract...who knows

Have Palace approached City with an offer the club finds accptable... probably

Do we have a replacement lined up...GJ says so and thats good enough for me

Its not on the OS yet because, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, the deal is not signed and sealed yet. The club cant really put anything on the site officially until then, as there may still be a chance that this transfer wont happen..

As I said on another thread, I will wait until the real story is out in the open until I pass judgement on either Carle or the club on this one..

Its not on the OS yet because, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, the deal is not signed and sealed yet. The club cant really put anything on the site officially until then, as there may still be a chance that this transfer wont happen..

As I said on another thread, I will wait until the real story is out in the open until I pass judgement on either Carle or the club on this one..

While I don't necessarily disagree, my mind does travel back to January when the OS reported they had accepted a bid from Leeds for Enoch. In that instance they didn't wait for the deal to go through (or ultimately fail, as it did).

Nobody is forcing him to sign.

Whatever happened to fighting for your place in the team?

Bloody Noble seems to have managed.

Flaming Bas Savage managed it.

''You arent wanted son''

''Well sorry but I arrived 5 months ago, I'm staying''.

Would be nice.

This is written as we await final confirmation of Carle's exit but assuming he does go I would like to think that people will afford him some respect.

I have already read the odd post saying "fine, if he doesn't want to be here then he can X,Y,Z". Personally, while I would be gutted if he left I would wish him all the best - and certainly not wish to boo him upon his return.

With many players there seems to be the automatic hatred when they leave. Why? Those who "hate" Holt for not wishing to leave Forest for us last season now criticise Carle for leaving without knowing the truth. So what is it? Are we to hate players who do or don't move? Personally neither.

A player not wishing to join us or leaving us does not mean they think they're better than us. It could be for a number of reasons - perhaps for their career, perhaps for personal reasons, perhaps for money (hey, I would take better money if offered elsewhere!) but that's their choice.

Some people also criticised Showunmi and Clayton Fortune for NOT leaving when we received offers. Perhaps Johnson has had an offer that he feels is good for the football club and asked Carle if he wouldn't mind moving to Palace.

A final thought - every player we have ever signed has had to leave someone to come to us. It doesn't make Basso, McCombe, Noble, Adebola, McIndoe or any of the others traitors, money grabbers or anything else. That's football.

I shall be sad to see Carle leave but all the best to him (just hope he doesn't do anything that will harm our season next term!)

Players very rarely leave a club after 6 months, particularly when they have just begun to settle. Don't expect fans to treat this as the average transfer.

As for me, I don't mind when Noble and Lee are on board but I am getting restless in the wait for our new strikers.

If we are to believe the transfer release clause is £800k then we would have barely made £100k for him if it is right that we paid £500k, if you take into account his wages.

I don't class that as a big profit, and it would also suggest that after 5 months if the player wanted to go to Palace to have talks, which he doesn't have to by the way, then the fans have every right to be very annoyed by his conduct. Add me to the list of boo boys.

When Enoch was going to Leeds it was on the official site and yet no deal was signed then.

I would like to think that when all is said and done & out in the open it turns out to be more of a sacrifice than a player wanting to go

One High paid player in an area where we have good cover released to make way for another in an area we need to strengthen to survive let alone challenge for anything

Yes - you need to create chances to score them but we were doing that pre Carle anyway

If this is the case then it could turn out to be good business by GJ - shuffling the pack effectively with a lot less resources than others have available

(even Baadiff can afford to offer £2.5m+ for a striker - we can't)

My only concern is if it turns out to be a case of another player who disagrees with the GJ style of management - because this time it will be a player of quite high calibre (International etc) and if this is the case then we may have trouble attracting other players of the same standard for the same reasons

I don't think this is the case - its just a concern

Just to come back on a few points:-

1. Booing a player just because he left makes you look all upset to have lost them and generally sounds pathetic. That's what I thought about Wolves treatment of McIndoe anyway.

2. Even IF there was a release clause City bought him knowing that. We would have known in January and decided that we wanted to do business with him. Fine. As a club you can't then sulk when it's taken advantage of and I am sure we have benefitted from this plenty of times before.

3. IF he made a decision that Palace was a step forward that's up to him isn't it? Bookies I am sure will put Palace ahead of us for promotion next season. If it goes well then he's proven us wrong. If it goes wrong then I think we'll be happy enough anyway. Again look at McIndoe - many people would have said last summer that he lacks ambition to be joining City.

4. At the moment there is absolutely nothing to suggest that he has asked for a transfer because of money, first team place or anything else. Even if he did on the basis that he hasn't settled in Bristol then fair enough - why make a man, wife and young kid unhappy if there's a good deal for the football club that helps him too.

I hope Carle stays. If not I hope the football club has a great deal. If not we have to accept that that's football. You win some, you lose some.

Just to come back on a few points:-

1. Booing a player just because he left makes you look all upset to have lost them and generally sounds pathetic. That's what I thought about Wolves treatment of McIndoe anyway.

2. Even IF there was a release clause City bought him knowing that. We would have known in January and decided that we wanted to do business with him. Fine. As a club you can't then sulk when it's taken advantage of and I am sure we have benefitted from this plenty of times before.

3. IF he made a decision that Palace was a step forward that's up to him isn't it? Bookies I am sure will put Palace ahead of us for promotion next season. If it goes well then he's proven us wrong. If it goes wrong then I think we'll be happy enough anyway. Again look at McIndoe - many people would have said last summer that he lacks ambition to be joining City.

4. At the moment there is absolutely nothing to suggest that he has asked for a transfer because of money, first team place or anything else. Even if he did on the basis that he hasn't settled in Bristol then fair enough - why make a man, wife and young kid unhappy if there's a good deal for the football club that helps him too.

I hope Carle stays. If not I hope the football club has a great deal. If not we have to accept that that's football. You win some, you lose some.

I must be pathetic then because i intend to boo him if it comes out he wanted the move, i expect he has been offered a bit more wonga and has jumped at the chance to take it, just another mercenary in our beautiful game.

I must be pathetic then because i intend to boo him if it comes out he wanted the move, i expect he has been offered a bit more wonga and has jumped at the chance to take it, just another mercenary in our beautiful game.

Yes I would call that action pathetic. McIndoe jumped ship for us. Basso jumped ship for us. Trundle jumped ship for us. Noble, McAllister, Adebola and GARY JOHNSON. At the time GJ's move was pretty sideways but hey, he saw more potential in us and was probably offered a lot more money.

You can't have it both ways.

And look - if I was offered more money by another company to do the same job I'd take it. Carle may well have signed and said "let's see how it goes" in which case we accepted the risks. When we release players it's the same thing - we're just "using them" to propel our club to higher things just as many players "use" us to move on. Fair enough.

If you're going to boo Carle (if he moves) will you also be booing every City player who has ever left another club to come here?

Yes I would call that action pathetic. McIndoe jumped ship for us. To work under GJ again. Basso jumped ship for us. What ship did he jump from? He was languising on a free transfer and we rescued his career. Trundle jumped ship for us. Noble, McAllister, All cos they wanted to test themselves at a higher level. Adebola ..because of the security of a two-year deal and the liklihood Coventry were bombing him out at the end of last season. and GARY JOHNSON. At the time GJ's move was pretty sideways but hey, he saw more potential in us and was probably offered a lot more money. GJ left for a much bigger challenge than Yeovil having taken them as far as he could.

If you're going to boo Carle (if he moves) will you also be booing every City player who has ever left another club to come here?

The point I'm making is that the overwhelming majority of those afore mentioned names left their clubs to join us for valid reasons.

Players have left us for similar valid reasons before and it's players like Tony Thorpe who left a sour taste in the mouth who moved sideways after a huge outlay and hence got the reaction he deserved. Matt Hill on the over hand fell into the GJ role in that he thought he'd gone as far as he could with us, with a bunch of pissheads in the team at that time, and got welcomed back like a hero.

If it comes out Carle had a clause put into his contract or asked for a move for money reasons then he deserves to cop some flack because of the club he's negotiating with is no better than us. Nobody knows the reasons behind his seemingly imminent departure but once it does become clear I'm sure fans will react appropriately.

Yes I would call that action pathetic. McIndoe jumped ship for us. Basso jumped ship for us. Trundle jumped ship for us. Noble, McAllister, Adebola and GARY JOHNSON. At the time GJ's move was pretty sideways but hey, he saw more potential in us and was probably offered a lot more money.

You can't have it both ways.

And look - if I was offered more money by another company to do the same job I'd take it. Carle may well have signed and said "let's see how it goes" in which case we accepted the risks. When we release players it's the same thing - we're just "using them" to propel our club to higher things just as many players "use" us to move on. Fair enough.

Mccindoe wasn't getting a look in at Wolves, Basso was playing for Woking so i don't think anyone would begrudge him moving to a much bigger club which Crystal Palace are not, David Noble left Boston who are a tiny club, Mccalister wasn't wanted or needed at Hearts, Trundle had played for Swansea for around 4 years and given them great service, Adebola played for Coventry for 5 years and again gave them decent service, none of your examples are even close to what Nick Carle has done if he's decided to leave, add that to the fact that Bristol City are a much bigger club than Yeovil Town and your argument holds even less substance.

Mccindoe wasn't getting a look in at Wolves, Basso was playing for Woking so i don't think anyone would begrudge him moving to a much bigger club which Crystal Palace are not, David Noble left Boston who are a tiny club, Mccalister wasn't wanted or needed at Hearts, Trundle had played for Swansea for around 4 years and given them great service, Adebola played for Coventry for 5 years and again gave them decent service, none of your examples are even close to what Nick Carle has done if he's decided to leave, add that to the fact that Bristol City are a much bigger club than Yeovil Town and your argument holds even less substance.

Bristol City were pretty much level with, if not below, Yeovil when GJ left them. Palace were pretty much level with us last season and in the last 30 years have been a far bigger club than us.

So I assume you will be booing Carey and Murray who didn't decide to fight for their place at Reading and Coventry but came back? We will boo Steve Brooker for moving from Port Vale who were about the same place in the league as us when he joined?

Sounds like it's fine to think you're bigger than Yeovil if you want to join City. It's fine to want first team football and leave Newcastle to join us. It's fine to move "sideways" to City because we're better/bigger than all those clubs who players have moved from anyway. But god forbid anyone leave us! They are OUR players and must play for us until we decide otherwise!

If we sign someone from Palace, Hull, Watford, West Brom, Birmingham and Reading shall we slate them?

Grant Holt decided to stay loyal/fight for his place etc. by not joining us but people still seem to think he's bad for doing that.

If City have agreed a fee and want to sell Carle and he doesn't go will we slate him then too!?! Leaves him little choice.

The point I'm making is that the overwhelming majority of those afore mentioned names left their clubs to join us for valid reasons.

Players have left us for similar valid reasons before and it's players like Tony Thorpe who left a sour taste in the mouth who moved sideways after a huge outlay and hence got the reaction he deserved. Matt Hill on the over hand fell into the GJ role in that he thought he'd gone as far as he could with us, with a bunch of pissheads in the team at that time, and got welcomed back like a hero.

If it comes out Carle had a clause put into his contract or asked for a move for money reasons then he deserves to cop some flack because of the club he's negotiating with is no better than us. Nobody knows the reasons behind his seemingly imminent departure but once it does become clear I'm sure fans will react appropriately.

If Carle had a clause then we agreed to it! You can't agree to a deal and then moan when someone uses it.

IF that was the case it may have been a clincher in us getting him in the first place and so we agreed that hey, not ideal, but it will help us get a player - even if for 6 months - who might just get us promoted.

I am sure we have taken advantage of such clauses before ourselves.

And as for money - I seem to remember when Carey left for Coventry a few things were said and it seemed to come down to money he was offered (not as much as for the non-Bristol boys). But he went, did ok, came back - everyone got on with things.

Archived