IGNORED

What Happened Last Season.....

sunningdalered

Prompted by some cutting remarks by a couple of Nick Carle groupies on the 'other' thread, that we play 'old-fashioned' and long-ball football, made me reflect upon what happened with our style of play over the course of the last campaign.

We certainly came out of the blocks firing on all cylinders - an almost unbelievable transformation from the way we were playing at the end of the previous season, when - true to form - we limped over the finishing line. Most significantly, and surprisingly, not a long ball in sight. Slick, short, accurate passing all over the pitch, and pace to spare.

Then we seemed to hit a bit of a brick wall. Whether this was because the team lost a bit of confidence in their ability to sustain the early season style of play, some key individuals lost a bit of form (maybe injury-related), or whether other teams in the division had settled in their new players etc etc and were coming into a bit more form, is debateable. But, undeniably, we found ourselves unable to rediscover the early season style of football - and started to go longer.

The problem was - we were still hanging around the top end of the table, which meant that every result was important. If we had been mid-table, GJ might have been more inclined to experiment in order to rediscover our passing game. As it was, in truth, every point was so valuable, and however it came, we had to grab it.

It was a massive relief to most of us when, and it probably wasn't until the second half of the stoke game (?), we started playing a shorter game again. We carried this on through the last couple of league games, and through the p-off semi-finals. For whatever reason/s (and there are undoubtedly many - not least a bit of stagefright) we failed to produce this form in the final. It takes real nerve, technical ability and self-confidence to play a short, tight game and the wembley cauldron will expose players lacking any of these.

Hopefully, this coming season, with a couple of as yet unknown, but quality, additions to the squad, we can again get off to a decent start. The key, IMO, is how we deal with the dodgy spell this time round. There will be one, its just how long, and potentially damaging it is. Looking at the clubs in the league this time - we probably can't hope for the number of reprieves that we got last season, when our nearest rivals slipped-up whenever we did.

The signing of Adebola definately had an influence on City's style of play. With him up front the less skillfull and less imaginative players would simply take the easy option and lump it upto him - with little effect most of the time. Its was a shame to see it after City had shown that they were capable of playing some decent football,

To me the worst culprit was McAllister at left back.He became so predictable with his repetative balls up line which rarely found a team mate that the oppostion knew where to be whenever he got the ball.Game after game he did the same thing.

How often do you see footballing sides like Arsenal or Liverpool lump the ball forward? They rarely do it as possesion is crucial. Arsenal players hardly ever take more that three touches.They keep the momentum going. Their movement off the ball is fantastic.

I'm not saying that City have enough quality players to play the same way as Arsenal but adpoting the same pass and move principles does work as City showed in patches last season.

Personally I loathe the long ball. To me its a sign of desperation and takes very little skill. The percentage of getting something from it is very low as well.

Trevor Brooking was on Talk Sport earlier this week saying that our youngsters don't get coached in playing football.By that he ment that too much importance is put on results. Even at a very young age English kids are told to pass the long ball especially if they have lads who are big for their age in the team. By doing that they don't learn how to keep the ball and as they grow those basic ball control skills don't develop enough.He asked how many times you see a kids game when the defenders play the ball out of defence. He was very interesting to listen to.

In Holland kids don't play competitively untill they are 12, 'nuff said.

Trevor Brooking was on Talk Sport earlier this week saying that our youngsters don't get coached in playing football.By that he ment that too much importance is put on results. Even at a very young age English kids are told to pass the long ball especially if they have lads who are big for their age in the team. By doing that they don't learn how to keep the ball and as they grow those basic ball control skills don't develop enough.He asked how many times you see a kids game when the defenders play the ball out of defence. He was very interesting to listen to.

In Holland kids don't play competitively untill they are 12, 'nuff said.

I said exactly the same as you about the system here in France where again kids are not playing that competative football but coached in the skills of the game.

Unfortunately I got shot down by a few of the 'know it alls' on here with the simple jibe, tell us what France have won in the last 6 years!!

I think it is of paramount importance to the developemnet of youngsters in the UK theat competative matches are played very few times, they should be encouraged to develope their skills and tactical knowledge of the game without some meathead parent berating him on the line for not hoofing it clear!!

At the majority of clubs my little brother has been at (including Rovers' academy), coaches insist on kids 'clearing their lines'.

GET RID OF IT, is the call. Amateur coaches (the majority IMO) will criticise kids trying to play their way out of trouble, or trying the be skillfull.

There is no doubt, they prefer them to kick and rush.

Ironically, his best coach to date has been Tim Kirk at Team Bath Futures, who now Coaches our youth team.

At the majority of clubs my little brother has been at (including Rovers' academy), coaches insist on kids 'clearing their lines'.

GET RID OF IT, is the call. Amateur coaches (the majority IMO) will criticise kids trying to play their way out of trouble, or trying the be skillfull.

There is no doubt, they prefer them to kick and rush.

Ironically, his best coach to date has been Tim Kirk at Team Bath Futures, who now Coaches our youth team.

If competative football for youngsters was reduced this would hopefully kill off this shout as the pressure would be less to win!

I said exactly the same as you about the system here in France where again kids are not playing that competative football but coached in the skills of the game.

Unfortunately I got shot down by a few of the 'know it alls' on here with the simple jibe, tell us what France have won in the last 6 years!!

I think it is of paramount importance to the developemnet of youngsters in the UK theat competative matches are played very few times, they should be encouraged to develope their skills and tactical knowledge of the game without some meathead parent berating him on the line for not hoofing it clear!!

Brooking also said that in Holland young kids are not given a specific position to play in each game. That way the youngsters get to experience all the various positions which ultimately makes them more aware as they develop.

This approach has been going for decades in Holland and where the concept of 'total football' originates from.

Brooking also said that in Holland young kids are not given a specific position to play in each game. That way the youngsters get to experience all the various positions which ultimately makes them more aware as they develop.

This approach has been going for decades in Holland and where the concept of 'total football' originates from.

Until our coaching and football set up (And I mean the UK not BCFC) is completly overhauled and dragged screaming and kicking into this century we will always struggle to raise decent enough youngsters.

Unfortunatly although Brooking is trying very hard I don't think it will work as owners(Most of them foreign) demand instant success or profit!

Shame but true!!

Archived