IGNORED

Gillespie (merged)

cinker

I think that a permanent move to Cheltenham would be good for Brooker, plus don't we have a substantial sell on % with Gillespie, more money for the warchest :)

The sell on clause wont be much, don't forget its only a percentage of the PROFIT. how much did we sell him for?

Not much, if anything at all.

Either a nominal fee or a free, I think.

Even if he went on a free and he was sold for 500,000 which I doubt that would only net us between 50-100K a lot of money to me and you but I doubt it would even pay the wage bill for a day!

The sell on clause wont be much, don't forget its only a percentage of the PROFIT. how much did we sell him for?

We sold him for a nominal fee and I think our sell on clause is around (40-50%). If he goes for 500k then we net around 200k. Plus hopefully Cheltenham will give us the rest of the cash for Brooks.

Every little helps :)

Tinman leaves so KM plays Gillespie against Forest. Gillespies scores our lone goal and is rated by Forest as our only threat. GJ comes in and ships Gillespie out. In a struggling Cheltenham team he scored nearly a goal per two games and combined well with Brooker. At 23 he should be ready to show his best and he was certainly better than some other strikers who rated a chance since he left.

Brooker is only just 27, coming into his best years, has a year of contract left and why would he go down a division to a small club like Cheltenham. Have I missed something ?

Tinman leaves so KM plays Gillespie against Forest. Gillespies scores our loan goal and is rated by Forest as our only threat. GJ comes in and ships Gillespie out. In a struggling Cheltenham team he scored nearly a goal per two games and combined well with Brooker. At 23 he should be ready to show his best and he was certainly better than some other strikers who rated a chance since he left.

Brooker is only just 27, coming into his best years, has a year of contract left and why would he go down a division to a small club like Cheltenham. Have I missed something ?

You are on the right track except Brooker has been injury prone for 2 years and lost some credibility because of it with recurring problems.

You are on the right track except Brooker has been injury prone for 2 years and lost some credibility because of it with recurring problems.

I'me sure we are all aware of Brookers injuries and other problems, however the club has stuck with him. It would be nice for the club and Brooker to get some reward for their perseverance. In any event Cheltenham would be a giant step backwards for him.

Gilly asking for a transfer, must have sent shock waves through Cheltenham. Perhaps Myrie Williams or Plummer could fill the gap on loan.

I'me sure we are all aware of Brookers injuries and other problems, however the club has stuck with him. It would be nice for the club and Brooker to get some reward for their perseverance. In any event Cheltenham would be a giant step backwards for him.

Gilly asking for a transfer, must have sent shock waves through Cheltenham. Perhaps Myrie Williams or Plummer could fill the gap on loan.

True, it would be a great experience for Plummer and still can. Cheltenham though would want full time permanent coverage as a loan would have the general 24 hour recall caveat

I'm not surprised to see Gillespie do well.I always rated him when he was at City but he didn't get much of a look in under Tinnion.The few times he played for City he looked a clever player but that obviously wasn't enough.

Good luck to him.

I'm not surprised to see Gillespie do well.I always rated him when he was at City but he didn't get much of a look in under Tinnion.The few times he played for City he looked a clever player but that obviously wasn't enough.

Good luck to him.

I remember after Tins departed and he scored at Forest that Millen came out with 'lets see him do that on the training ground' as if to suggest he might be a tad lazy?

Suprised about the fee, seems high.

I am sorry we couldn't get more for the talented Mr Gillespie.

Dickinson was sold for 750k and he isn't a proven L1 striker. Gillespie is special and could easily play in the Championship, we should have got at 800k for him, to be honest.

No doubt there'll be a few raised eyebrows at those comments but I agree with you.

I saw Gillespie play his first game for City's reserves when he was on trial and if I remember rightly he notched 5 goals.

Not simple tap ins either, all sorts of goals from headers, dribbling through and finishing, cracking long shots.

On top of that he's a very brave player who never fails to put his head in where it hurts.

Great potential, and I too can see him ending up in the Championship.

Blimey, is he really worth that much??

BBC Link

Glad we get 20% though!

Gillespie was worth more than £425k believe me, our board are getting a lot of stick for selling him at that price when players like Dickinson are going for £750k and Aaron McLean is being touted around at £1.5million!!

Your faith in Brooker is laudible R&R, and I admit he returned to the team last season more impressively than I for one had anticipated, but if City sign Meteb and 1 other as seems likely wouldn't it be best all round if Brooker moved on?

He surely wouldn't be first choice in front of the new players and we also have Trundle and Dele fighting for those 2 positions.

Perhaps the likes of Plummer and Myrie-Williams would be better fillers-in for the odd game - which is all he'd likely get- and Brooks would have the very much needed chance to rebuild his confidence, fitness and career with a regular starting place.

The biggest problem is after the last 2 years his value will have plummetted and it's unlikely City could command a big fee for him as things stand.

Ironic indeed that Gillespie's career has blossomed in the meantime to such an extent that he is probably valued more highly of the two and Brooker is viewed as his possible replacement at a lower level.

Sometimes you have to move back in order to move forwards and Brooker, in his current career stagnation, appears a perfect example of this.

Archived