IGNORED

Promotion/relegation.

Rednready

Last season had a low points total for promotion and a higher points total required to avoid the drop.

BCFC were lucky, we had the rub of the green in plenty of matches.

15 matches we won by one goal. If drawn, thats 30 points less

14 draws. If lost thats 14 points less.

We had poor possession and plenty of luck in a lot of those games

Basso and our back 4 kept us in the competition.

The differance between 6th at 70 points and the drop at 52 points was just 18 points or 6 wins !

Thats the unwritten story. Our position at 4th was fragile to say the least. We battled hard, rode our luck and in the end just missed promotion at Wembly.

Saying who will be relegated is pointless and imo it will be a tougher league this season.

BCFC will have to improve all over the pitch. The priority will be creating goals and scoring goals. That takes a lot of the heat off of our keeper and back 4. In a lot of our 1 goal wins and draws our midfield was overrun. That needs to be addressed. Selections, signings and formations will be paramount in our success or failure + a continued run of luck.

Promotion/Relegation, a fine line last season. Next season ?

That can be said about every team last season ........ even in the play offs ..........

IF Shitto#s perfectly good algainst Hull had been allowed , Watford could have been at Wembley,

we could have had a better chance against Watford in the Final. although if Palace's penalty had gone in and not hit the post we may not have got there.

but we're City, we 'enjoy' the fun of only being one goal ahead with 15 minutes left, ( i think only being one ahead is a GJ plan to stop folks leaving early )

but yes, this season is, i am sure going to be even closer and tougher, and we will have even more nail biting finishes

And I can't wait

I STILL BELEIVE !!

:englandsmile4wf:

Saying who will be relegated is pointless and imo it will be a tougher league this season.

BCFC will have to improve all over the pitch. The priority will be creating goals and scoring goals. That takes a lot of the heat off of our keeper and back 4. In a lot of our 1 goal wins and draws our midfield was overrun.

I'm sure we will do well again this season.

Part of the reason we scored so few goals was that we played without real width and flooded the midfield for most of the matches. This tactic meant that a number of the midfielders were sitting just in front of the back 4 at all times, helping the defence, rather than supporting the attack. This made us difficult to break down. Hence the 1 nil wins and numerous draws.

IF we look to score more goals our defence will be asked to look after the oppostion's forward's and wingers, without the level of aid that the 4 or often 5 midfielders gave them. Interesting to see if we actually look to change our tactics. Let's face it linked with a fair slice of good luck, they kept us near the top of the table all season.

Suspect much will depend on the quaility of the new strikers and the overall form of the team.

Lets wait and see.

Last season had a low points total for promotion and a higher points total required to avoid the drop.

The differance between 6th at 70 points and the drop at 52 points was just 18 points or 6 wins !

Thats the unwritten story. Our position at 4th was fragile to say the least. We battled hard, rode our luck and in the end just missed promotion at Wembly.

BCFC will have to improve all over the pitch. The priority will be creating goals and scoring goals. That takes a lot of the heat off of our keeper and back 4. In a lot of our 1 goal wins and draws our midfield was overrun. That needs to be addressed. Selections, signings and formations will be paramount in our success or failure + a continued run of luck.

Spot on and agree 100% aim for the top yes, but its going to tougher this time.

A fairly comprehensive analysis of 'my glass is half full' perspective of last season. When Arsenal under George Graham were grinding out 1-0 wins they were called boring, but boasted some fantastically talented inidividual players and arguably the best defensive unit British football has ever seen. No-one to the best of my recall translated the potential for those 1-0 wins to be draws.

We were promoted as runners up, and were subsequently not out of the top 6 all season, on merit. The league table doesn't lie.

To be left disappointed after a play-off final defeat shows how far we had come, and the unity between the club and fans has generally speaking rarely been better, imo.

I would agree that next season will be harder, we are a known quantity now, and the quality of opposition collectively and individually (judging by early transfer activity) will be higher, but even the most cynical amongst us, and I'm a dab hand in the cynicism stakes, would agree that the Always Believe mantra and sense of purpose GJ and all at the club have embraced will stand us in very good stead.Forza City.Bring it on!!

I'm sure that every team has their fair share of luck throughout the season.

14 draws - If we win them all that's another 28 points

5 games lost by 1 goal - if we draw those it's another 5 points

That's another 33 points and guranteed automatic promotion. We deserved to finsih where we did. Of courser we weren't perfect but in a very tough league we played some attractive, competitive football and perhaps with a better striker of two the above poitns would have become a reality.

I wouldn't be too depressed about the coming season. Let's wait and see who we sign and how we start. As losing playoff finalists I think it's right that people are hoping for promotion rather than worrying about relegation. I can't believe many fans of losing playoff finals have been talking about relegation in the following season.

We may struggle, but why go into the season with an attitude like that after we had such a good season last time?

I don't go along fully with the lucky lucky City - you point to the number of close wins and draws we got - I believe you are over looking a dimension of our play that a lot and I mean a lot of the clubs in this division are missing and that is team work, togetherness and resilience - it's not "luck" that got us those results it was down to the sum of the individuals being exceeded by team.

Next year if we keep the same drive ambition, hard work and resilience then we will do well again particularly with a new superior strike force. The success also depends on how well and motivated the other teams are in the division, take a look at the number of incoherent teams that come down from the Premier League and then fail to do well due despite the talent in their teams.

I think it will probably be tougher. Not necessarily relegation material but Sheffield United will be up there especially if they keep Beattie now that they aren't hindered by the presence of Bryan Robson which let's face it is generally a big handicap for anyone.

Palace were very good under Warnock and probably only missed automatic promotion because of their start under Peter Taylor and the first month of Warnock's reign.

Glenn Roeder did a great job at Norwich considering where they were when he took over, QPR would have surely finished higher if not for their atrocious start.

Even Derby have rebuilt majorly since coming down, and not many have left Reading or Birmingham, Forest, Swansea and Doncaster look quite strong so it will be tougher for sure.

Excellent post Mr Bond and I couldn't agree more. The way we seemed to be figured out towards the back end of last season should've set the alarm bells ringing for what will undoubtedly be a tougher league this time round.

We urgently need players who can keep the ball better as opposed to players like Orr who gives away possession nine times out of ten. It's unfair to single him out though as others are equally as guilty but the league will be a different kettle of fish next year and it will be the teams that hold onto the ball the best that prevail IMHO.

We urgently need players who can keep the ball better as opposed to players like Orr who gives away possession nine times out of ten. It's unfair to single him out though

Why did you then? PFA Championship right back of the season, mate.

My view is we were neither lucky or unlucky, we were denied a stonewall penalty in the last minute at Hull and those 2 extra points would have seen us go up automatically, Charlton and Plymouth undeservedly won at AG too, whilst other sides may have deserved to do so (such as WBA) but didn't.

Our style was the same this season as the one before, we get in front in games, work extremely hard and become difficult to break down as a result.

I'd still like a decent striker or two in this summer, though!

Why did you then? PFA Championship right back of the season, mate.

Why did I single out Orr? Because he's the chief culprit in giving the ball away.

More times than not he'll give the ball away which probably explains why he's playing right-back as opposed to the central midfielder we signed.

As for right back of the season, I don't buy that bollox really. There was no stand out right-back asides from Chris Gunter who went to Spurs in January for £5m.

The bottom line is, regardless of my opinions of Bradders, we need to keep the ball better than we did if we're to build on last year's success.

100% spot on.

Some people look at what could have happened instead of what actually happened.

We were in the top 6 ALL season.

It is absolutely impossible for that to happen to any team through luck.

The division was evenly balanced last season and we were consistent unlike others who had bad starts or were just plain inconsistent.

It will be the same this season and I don't think it will be any harder at all - just as hard as last season which was bloody difficult and the team coped well.

I don't mind constructive criticism but I can't be doing with this "we were lucky" bollox.

The other point, is that every team in every league every season can say the same. If all our 'luck' didnt actually occur, what could have happened?

Leicester might have stayed up?

Holloway might be there?

Watford might have made top 2?

Stoke might have won the title?

Palace might have got to Wembley?

Hull might kick off Aug 7th in CCC?

Barnsley might have finished top 12?

Bloody ridiculous speculation that means nothing.

We might have beaten Brighton, Lita might have hit 20 in the CCC and we could be in the PL with Danny Wilson..

Crazy to think of what could have happened. Its nonsense.

I put forward some facts and figures. I added to that some thoughts for the coming season. Some of you agreed, some disagreed. Thats a democratic forum at work.

I was seeking some feedback with different points of view. Thankyou for your input, apart from the comment of " nonsense", which was unneccessary. As usual, I consider the source and move on.

The other point, is that every team in every league every season can say the same. If all our 'luck' didnt actually occur, what could have happened?

Leicester might have stayed up?

Holloway might be there?

Watford might have made top 2?

Stoke might have won the title?

Palace might have got to Wembley?

Hull might kick off Aug 7th in CCC?

Barnsley might have finished top 12?

Bloody ridiculous speculation that means nothing.

We might have beaten Brighton, Lita might have hit 20 in the CCC and we could be in the PL with Danny Wilson..

Crazy to think of what could have happened. Its nonsense.

Yes, what if Alois and Klara Hitler had decided to use condom or not felt like a bit of rumpy pumpy back in July 1888!!!

What is the point of this thread?

Last seasons gone etc etc

If people can't tell whats going on during a season thats up to them not you.

The amount of boring threads on this site is boarding on the ridiculous.

Some observations were made and the question was put in relation to last season and the coming season.

Perhaps as you confuse boarding with bordering, you may not have an objective comment on the coming season ?

Some observations were made and the question was put in relation to last season and the coming season.

Perhaps as you confuse boarding with bordering, you may not have an objective comment on the coming season ?

Ahhh my bad, spelling a word incorrectly therefore endorses this post further.

As far as the coming season goes. I just wait and see, no one can forsee what happens, not even you. Now, an intersting topic would be nice

Yes, but your observations lacked detailed analysis. In those games where we only won by the odd goal, or the games where we drew, we were lucky not to have conceded, or could we have scored more goals? What were the stats? If Bradley Orr clears a shot off the line, is that luck or just good organisational skills fr having him in the right place? How about the games we lost by the odd goal or drew? Someone once said that the harder they worked, the luckier they get.

I don't believe in luck - either good or bad. We are where we are, we have what we have by the decisions and actions we choose to make and nowhere is that more true than in the sporting arena.

As far as the coming season goes. I just wait and see, no one can forsee what happens, not even you. Now, an intersting topic would be nice

Awww, now you've gone and spelt interesting incorrectly completely invalidating any opinion you may have had. Shame ;-))

Rednready has only posted what many fans think regarding the fortune that City had last season.No doubt about it City were battered on a few occaisions and yet somehow still didn't lose the game.

He's also right about City having to strengthen all over the pitch, and its not about being postive or being negative - its just facing facts.

So far we have a new midfielder and can anticipate one or two strikers coming in.Defensively City are one short with Vasko not staying but as yet no talk of a defender joing the squad.

Johnson has said how much tougher it will be this season with Brum,Derby,Swansea and Reading all in the mix.The play-offs would be another result next May imo.

It is the silly season and every year at this time the forum is awash with topics trying to drum up some interest.

An interesting topic would indeed be nice. Perhaps you could indulge us with the benefits of your obvious spare time and start a topic of your own.

I put forward some facts and figures. I added to that some thoughts for the coming season. Some of you agreed, some disagreed. Thats a democratic forum at work.

I was seeking some feedback with different points of view. Thankyou for your input, apart from the comment of " nonsense", which was unneccessary. As usual, I consider the source and move on.

don't be so sensitive.

I suggest its nonsense to put forward the facts in the manner you did to put a downer on our performance last season. We finished 4th.

I don't think we'll peform any different next season and should be around 1-7th place.

[quote name='always hoping' date='Jul 6 2008, 7:28 AM' post='96267

I'm sure we will do well again this season.

Part of the reason we scored so few goals was that we played without real width and flooded the midfield for most of the matches. This tactic meant that a number of the midfielders were sitting just in front of the back 4 at all times, helping the defence, rather than supporting the attack. This made us difficult to break down. Hence the 1 nil wins and numerous draws.

IF we look to score more goals our defence will be asked to look after the oppostion's forward's and wingers, without the level of aid that the 4 or often 5 midfielders gave them. Interesting to see if we actually look to change our tactics. Let's face it linked with a fair slice of good luck, they kept us near the top of the table all season.

Suspect much will depend on the quaility of the new strikers and the overall form of the team.

Lets wait and see.

Archived