IGNORED

The Leroy Lita To Reading Comparison

Olé

Someone made this point in another thread, and I have to say, they've made an extremely valid observation. Reading had gone up from League One and settled well with a steady if unspectacular team built around a nucleus of established players rather than a transfer frenzy.

Then they bought Leroy from us for a then club record to give them that pace and match winning ability, which was the only thing they lacked as an otherwise solid, tightly knit, well managed side. It was the piece which turned an organised determined Championship side into Champions.

Whichever way you look at it, the parallels are all there. Maynard can do the same with us :fingerscrossed:

Its a good comparison - but the "tightly knitted" squad that they had built up, was built with a hell of a lot more money than we have spent!

Although I see where you are coming from and would love it, just love it (Keegan moment) if we went up as champions.

It certainly feels much better to be on the other end of a transfer deal like that though you've got to feel for Crewe - they produce a seemingly endless number of quality young players and they all get sold on. I'm grateful that with SteveL's backing we shouldn't be forced into any sales too easily now.

I think we're maybe two or three players off being a very strong side at this level and firmly consolidated in the top third. We could of course go and have a fantastic season again but equally we may find it tougher as I think there are more strong sides this time around.

We do have an immensely strong spine to the team (Basso, Carey/McCombe, Elliot, Adebola/Brooker) and some good quality to complement that strength well. With pace from Maynard, Sproule and McIndoe we should be able to hurt sides on the break too which we haven't really done for a while.

Of course our main asset is the man himself Gary Johnson and that's another comparison with Reading who had the excellent Steve Coppell in charge as they won promotion to the Prem.

I'm optimistic but wary of getting carried away and I hope City fans go into the season hopeful but without massive expectations. It seems to work well when the team surprise us.

Its a good comparison - but the "tightly knitted" squad that they had built up, was built with a hell of a lot more money than we have spent!

It wasn't actually. We've spent far more in the last two seasons than Reading had before reaching the Prem.

Someone made this point in another thread, and I have to say, they've made an extremely valid observation. Reading had gone up from League One and settled well with a steady if unspectacular team built around a nucleus of established players rather than a transfer frenzy.

Then they bought Leroy from us for a then club record to give them that pace and match winning ability, which was the only thing they lacked as an otherwise solid, tightly knit, well managed side. It was the piece which turned an organised determined Championship side into Champions.

Whichever way you look at it, the parallels are all there. Maynard can do the same with us :fingerscrossed:

I agree. Nicky Maynard can link up with Trundle , Brooker , Adebola. We might not need another target man with what we have already got onboard. I will be at Ashton Gate tomorrow. Lets see what happens. Bring it on. :fingerscrossed:

Although I see where you are coming from and would love it, just love it (Keegan moment) if we went up as champions.

I believe that LL was their transfer record at the time.

It's a great comparison and that's not true that they spent that much. Like others have said, Lita was their record signing and he was a million.

I hope Manyard does , however i hope we do not do the same as reading; they had a fantastic season in 2006/07 but got relegated in the 07/08

hopefully we will not follow them :fingerscrossed:

I hope Manyard does , however i hope we do not do the same as reading; they had a fantastic season in 2006/07 but got relegated in the 07/08

hopefully we will not follow them :fingerscrossed:

If some one offered me what reading have done in the past two seasons i would take it all day long.

If we could go up and finish mid table in the prem like they did i would be over the bloody moon!

Archived