IGNORED

'fan' Or 'supporter'?

Tom Fleuriot

I'm a fan of Arsenal - I love the way they play football but I don't support them.

I'm a supporter of Bristol City - I buy a ST, put money and time into the club in other ways and follow everything that goes on within the club. Like others, I see City as 'my' club. I have not nor ever will support another club. Bristol City is a part of my identity and thats why I have strong opinions about what goes on - on and off the pitch. Critism is sometimes apart of an opinion and equally as valid as praise is.

Thats the difference imo.

Couldn't agree more with this definition. Regardless of their opinions, anyone who invests time and money into following their team is a supporter. People who sit on their sofas watching Liverpool/Man U/Arsenal/Chelsea on telly are merely fans, no matter how much they try and tell you otherwise.

I would say a "football fan" is someone who follows the results of a club, by reading a paper, viewing tv reports etc, or watching them on Live TV matches (i.e, "armchair supporter)...

Whereas, a "football supporter" is someone who actually pays money to go and watch their team play (Home or Away, or both!)

I'm of course a "supporter" of City, but no one else!

I wouldn't really say I'm a "fan" of any other club either to be honest, unless I did include that I am a "fan and supporter" of City!

I do follow City as a "fan" in some respects, but I'm a much more hardcore "supporter" these days, being a Season Ticket holder for my 3rd successive season!

I'm just an idiot........ but all of you that have ever bothered to get to know me a bit knew that?

I think this fan / supporter thing is irrelevant........... give use your money is what it is really about

If you wish the club to survive then it's about giving your money up...... or some would say that is the only measure?

Thing is there are many about that have done just that over the years but they may be considered not as supporters due to not being so active on the financial front regarding BCFC at the moment?

In my eyes the distinction is blurred.

If you pay for £20........ for preferred ticket allocation or happen to have a season ticket this year....... that does not make your club anymore Bristol City FC than the person who has run with the club for years but just does not get down the Gate as much, if at all now, anymore but did in the past.

Snap. As soon as anybody starts on the "I'm a bigger fan than you are" line to justify an argument they've lost me.

Yes, but it's the best fishing line there is.

Anyway, with the new smart cards we'll be able to tell who the true supporters are as they will have more "points" on their cards.

Well, I don't know what your source is, but the Oxford English dictionary agrees with me:

Fan

Well, the Oxford English Dictionary has been known to be wrong. And let's be honest, since when was that a font of all football knowledge?

My sources are varied, but I have studied English, too, and done a lot of research into football history.

Well, the Oxford English Dictionary has been known to be wrong. And let's be honest, since when was that a font of all football knowledge?

My sources are varied, but I have studied English, too, and done a lot of research into football history.

It's possible, but from an etymological point of view, you have to put your baseline somewhere, and most English people place their trust in the OED.

As for being the font of all football knowledge, who said the word "Fan" or "Fanatic" is football based? The English language has been around far longer than football, and as far as I'm aware "fanatic" entered the language over 400 years ago.

From a quick google, it seems your version may have arisen from some baseball-related slang in the US.

If you don't mind, I think we'll agree to differ and I'll stand by my, and the OED's, definition.

Archived