IGNORED

The Club Shop

Frome Valley

Back when Beryl Fudge was involved with the club shop it was a smaller operation but it was so much more fun. Looking around today it struck me how conservative and dull it was. No signs of obscure programmes from away games, pendants, a few token pin badges but just functional and dull.

Even tickets could not be bought because the system was being upgraded and that would have neve happened in Beryls dayb as she would have demanded you buy one.

What ever happened to the balding bloke with the red City jumper and glasses?

I always find the customer service in there a bit wanting as well. They all look bored to be there, and often get the impression whilst walking around that I'm stopping them from doing something!

Some music wouldn't go amiss to help the atmosphere, as I think it can be a little odd walking around a shop on your own being stared at by two staff members.

I get what I want and get out. Very rare I browse in there which isn't good for business. They have a massive screen in the background playing a poor displayed screen from Sky Sports. Why they can't have goals from the past and maybe radio playing in the shop I don't know, but I agree, it's dull.

MM

Its certainly not the most welcoming shop I've been into and like others have said the staff always looked bored to tears with no hint of smile between them. The dark haired bloke is particularly miserable. He looks like he has the entire worlds problems on his shoulders.

I too was in there today around 2.45pm to get a Posh ticket on my swipe card but was told 'try the ticket office,'cos our system still ain't working'. No luck at the TO either - its the same system. The girls in there look bored up as well - must be endemic down at AG or maybe pre-requisite to work there. Still sales of chewing gum must be well up in the local shop.

Yes, indeed.

The few times I've been in there, I too got the impresson I was interrupting something and ended up leaving empty-handed. The atmosphere certainly doesn't encourage you to hang around and browse. I can't remember the last time I bought something in there!

I could understand it on match days, when they need people in and out quickly to give everyone a chance to shop, but they really could make more attractive on other days to encourage you to browse.

It does border on the deadly boring and they could take a few pointers from the high street sports shops...

I always find the customer service in there a bit wanting as well. They all look bored to be there, and often get the impression whilst walking around that I'm stopping them from doing something!

Some music wouldn't go amiss to help the atmosphere, as I think it can be a little odd walking around a shop on your own being stared at by two staff members.

A bit of friendliness and humour would not go a miss either, maybe even a smile every now then! :disapointed2se:

Steve Gray always ran the shop well, top bloke.

The staff might look miserable because they take the face to face stick from people over ticket issues, when it seems like half the time they are blissfully unaware of announcement's the club has made about ticketing detials?

Also seems to be mostly teenage girls working there which i always find a bit bizzarre? pay peanuts.....

Guest Eamer

Someone mentioned Sky Sports News on the screen in there. Maybe it would be better to play the latest BCFC match DVD or something. Would be a start...

Maybe clear some of the crap products out and make more space in there for fans/customers as it's always been a bit cramped. I don't think many people want to buy a Bristol City branded rubber and pencil sharpener for £2 to be honest. Do what I did when I was younger and just write 'BCFC' on a cheap rubber that you stole from one of your classes. On that subject I'm sure lower prices would bring out the smiles on Customers faces too. ;)

Back when Beryl Fudge was involved with the club shop it was a smaller operation but it was so much more fun. Looking around today it struck me how conservative and dull it was. No signs of obscure programmes from away games, pendants, a few token pin badges but just functional and dull.

Even tickets could not be bought because the system was being upgraded and that would have neve happened in Beryls dayb as she would have demanded you buy one.

What ever happened to the balding bloke with the red City jumper and glasses?

I awlays find it ok in there, the lad behind and the blonde woman always have a chat with me and laugh, I see them alot at away games, and they seem to remeber you when you go in the store, I admit we could do with some better products in there, but how much is that down to the staff, they get alot of stick from people in there, when I'm cueing up due to the ticket's being sold via only one till,

Guest Eamer
I awlays find it ok in there, the lad behind and the blonde woman always have a chat with me and laugh, I see them alot at away games, and they seem to remeber you when you go in the store, I admit we could do with some better products in there, but how much is that down to the staff, they get alot of stick from people in there, when I'm cueing up due to the ticket's being sold via only one till,

You can play Snooker while you wait now? When did the Bristol City branded Snooker Table come in then? Same time as the Dart Board?

i was only thinking on the same lines myself recently, the club shop is total pants with no heart and soul and no atmosphere, the place is like a mourge. I looked around the Coventry shop last season i thought it was briliant, the amount of merchandise was unbelievable they had every gadget imaginable with the clubs name written over it from teddy bears to egg cups. I remember thinking at the time that city were losing out heaps by having a poor selection of merchandise, I'm suprised sl hasnt addressed this issue as yet. I agree the club shop was fun in Beryls days and always enjoyed getting home and away city programmes, and god help anyone that messed with our Beryl god bless her

i agree about how well steve gray had the shop down there.

a lovely chap, who could never do enough for you, and even if he was busy, which he always seemed to be, the girls were always polite and helpful.

I'm not sure whose running it now, but its lifeless in there, never seems to have different stock and the staff seem to be vicky pollard type characters.

i try to avoid it at all costs now.

on the subject of beryl, her and connie both volunteered in the shop back in the day, what lovely people they were, the shop wasn't the best back then but they were friendly, and took an active interest in the city. something i feel the current staff lack somewhat.

Now I'm no interior designer or anything...... But it would be nice to have a bit more colour in there - its all very grey and dull which I don't think helps. I know there are loads of clothes and other products that add a bit of colour but the walls could be a bit brighter - just a friendlier feel to the place.

If we as customers think its dull going in there for 5 mins at a time - no wonder the staff always look miserable having to spend their whole days in there!

And on another note - I know its a club shop so really should just sell Bristol City related stuff - but it would be nice if on non-matchdays at least, they sold drinks/snacks in there - nothing fancy - just some cans of coke/sprite/tango/lilt etc and maybe some crisps or something becuase the amount of times I've been in there absolutly parched and would have bought a drink at the same time as my ticket/shirt or whatever else I'm buying. Maybe I'm just being too picky now!

i was only thinking on the same lines myself recently, the club shop is total pants with no heart and soul and no atmosphere, the place is like a mourge. I looked around the Coventry shop last season i thought it was briliant, the amount of merchandise was unbelievable they had every gadget imaginable with the clubs name written over it from teddy bears to egg cups. I remember thinking at the time that city were losing out heaps by having a poor selection of merchandise, I'm suprised sl hasnt addressed this issue as yet. I agree the club shop was fun in Beryls days and always enjoyed getting home and away city programmes, and god help anyone that messed with our Beryl god bless her

As I've said in the past, the Commercial Dept. is inept - Conference Standard.

I miss the days (97,98,99 ish) when they sold programmes in the shop and the bloke who seemed to run the place gave me amazing deals when I bought a few. One of the nicest blokes you could of met. Now, like many have said, you feel like you've done something wrong when you go up and buy something on the rare occasion I can afford to buy anything in there.

the solution

Employ Scottish lesbian from sh1te Channel 4 series - so called expert on retail

Take Shop Manager to store that pays her significant consultant fee on annual basis to get additional promotion for that store oh and for our Manager to understand retail.

Buy two dummies to put in window one facing in one facing out (that's the new way apparently)

Interview and employ a couple of students and give them a corner for their edgy and contemporary Bristol City designs

Allow Shop Manager to go on emotional journey of self discovery as they realise the error of their ways

Rename shop

Re-open shop on Friday night with a classy Asti Spumanti reception

Watch sales go through the roof and customer satisfaction levels soar enabling smug Scottish moose to revel in her own glory

job done

I couldn't agree more! Stick on The Wurzels, or even some audio from some archive matches. ###### it, get a flatscreen TV on the wall, and play some of the match DVDs. Would be an incentive to purchase them, for sure.

the solution

Employ Scottish lesbian from sh1te Channel 4 series - so called expert on retail

Take Shop Manager to store that pays her significant consultant fee on annual basis to get additional promotion for that store oh and for our Manager to understand retail.

Buy two dummies to put in window one facing in one facing out (that's the new way apparently)

Interview and employ a couple of students and give them a corner for their edgy and contemporary Bristol City designs

Allow Shop Manager to go on emotional journey of self discovery as they realise the error of their ways

Rename shop

Re-open shop on Friday night with a classy Asti Spumanti reception

Watch sales go through the roof and customer satisfaction levels soar enabling smug Scottish moose to revel in her own glory

job done

Or you could just get that Mary Queen of shops bird in? ^_^

What did it for me about the shop was when I went in there just before the start of last season. It was mid morning, no one in there except ourselves. I think City were going to play a pre season friendly later that day. My daughter wanted a shirt and decided to have her name and number on it. We interrupted the 3 staff who were talking amongst themselves, I think there were another 2 staff tidying already tidy shelves, still not another customer in sight.

When I asked for the shirt printing to be done the young lad serving said 'no problem' but the 2 young females argued that they didn't do shirt printing 'on match days'. They were insistent that it couldn't be done and made me feel like a low life for asking, I think they actually enjoyed telling me no.

Now if there was another way to get shirt and printing I would have told them to stuff it, just because of their attitude. I stated that on a normal match day I understood the reasoning for this, but as there were no other customers, and the (friendly) match was hours away could they not just print the shirt? I know 'rules is rules' but that's ridiculous.

where does common sense come into their thinking, it's not as if the printing is free. (Actually this year it cost me double to have her shirt printed, it's now any name and 2 (?) numbers for a standard £12, last year it was pence per letter). I wish we'd sign Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink so I would get my moneys worth!

The lad went off and done it whilst we were still debating. The girl shot both him and me filthy looks. I did apologise to him after and say I hope he wasn't going to get into trouble.

I don't go in the shop unless I have to.

• Admin

Personally I avoid the shop as much as possible due to the various reasons above - looking at the responses above this seems a general feeling of many posters - if this was to mulitply across the City fanbase then our club surely have big problems on their hands !

Apart from people buying replica shirts I wonder how often people actually go in the shop ?

Surely Customer Service is one of the most important things for a club like ourselves and if the staff cant even manage basic politeness then move them on and emplu someone who can raise a smile and look like they "want" to be there !

Go in the shop quite regularly, always have a chat and a laugh with the staff who all seem friendly enough. You can buy old programmes in the programme hut at the Winterstoke rd entrance. My only gripe with the shop is the size, but i'm sure that will be rectified when we move ground.

Totally agree that staff always look like they are being forced to work, and hate being there.

But, i bet its a £10k a year job, they work long days, deal with muppets, and get to watch the players arrive in 4x4's and a bentley. This would take 12 years wages to afford a players car... cant blame them for being a little sorry can you?

I always feal un-comfartable in there for some reason, ordering of the internet is much quicker and easier.

Obviously with the new stadium will come a brand new much bigger shop however in the mean time i think it could do with maybe an extension as if you have been in there on match day it seems far to small.

Archived