IGNORED

Gary Johnson

I BELIEVE

Now i can think back a few years and look at all the managers we have had and none really compare to what GJ has done for our club. He is proberbly the most hardworking manager i've known in a while, prehaps ever. He reads the game very well and always has the players believing in themselves?

I'm sure it would be easier to answer this question at the end of the season, but is he the best manager Bristol City have ever had?

Now i can think back a few years and look at all the managers we have had and none really compare to what GJ has done for our club. He is proberbly the most hardworking manager i've known in a while, prehaps ever. He reads the game very well and always has the players believing in themselves?

I'm sure it would be easier to answer this question at the end of the season, but is he the best manager Bristol City have ever had?

Alan dicks without question.

Alan Dicks still hold the title of best manager as far as I can see. But only until the end of this season when we get promoted, then King Gary takes over as the top man! :winner_third_h4h:

Best in my time watching City without a shadow of doubt!

Always felt a bit cheated when Jordan left for Hearts, thought he was building something special too.

Wasn't around when Dicks done the business, if GJ can get us there in this day and age then I think he would replace him as the best we've had. Thing is, I can see him doing it - give us another 2/3 years and I really think we could have something really special here.

I think that GJ is the best Manager in my generation i too young to remeber Alan Dicks. The first manager i remeber is Terry Cooper.

GJ is a very canny manager and destined for big things in the future and held in very high regard by many of his peers.

I hope that he does it with us but i would say i wont be too long before the big boys come sniffing around, just hope we can hang on too him.

From what ive seen he is similar kevin Keegan or Harry Redknapp in terms of getting the best out of his players so we can expect big things from Maynard IMO. GJ Plays like his team to play the way it should be on the ground.

The way he has pulled the whole club together and got us all beliving should not be underestimated, the semi final PO against Palarse will stay with me forever the atmosphere was the best ive ever been a part of. Few more like that please Lads.

U Reds

i do remember Alan dicks as a manager,but feel that technically Gary j comes out on top. We don't see 80% of his work and that is what i respect about the man. Mr dicks was a bit more flash than Gj and for the times was ahead of the game, but football has moved on. Lets face it that the bulk of our squad have stepped up from the 1st div with very little money being spent to finishing 4th under Gj. I suspect that the best is yet to come this season from gary, he is a great motivator of players and has a brand new club in his bag

yes too young to remember dicks so gary is the best imo did like russell osman so solid defensivly under him iff he could off got us scoreing we would off been good some of the worst who remembers benny leonardson probley spelt his name wrong

Alan Dicks got City into the English top division - a feat that no other City manager achieved in over a 100 years. He is therefore the best manager we ever had.

Oh - btw, the way Alan Dicks signed Gerry Gow which is enough imo to make him City's greatest ever manager. :noexpression:

I think that GJ is the best Manager in my generation i too young to remeber Alan Dicks. The first manager i remeber is Terry Cooper.

GJ is a very canny manager and destined for big things in the future and held in very high regard by many of his peers.

I hope that he does it with us but i would say i wont be too long before the big boys come sniffing around, just hope we can hang on too him.

From what ive seen he is similar kevin Keegan or Harry Redknapp in terms of getting the best out of his players so we can expect big things from Maynard IMO. GJ Plays like his team to play the way it should be on the ground.

The way he has pulled the whole club together and got us all beliving should not be underestimated, the semi final PO against Palarse will stay with me forever the atmosphere was the best ive ever been a part of. Few more like that please Lads.

U Reds

love the comparison with harry redknapp and i think its justified, both very 'media friendly' aswell which i thinks goes a long way to endearing the club with neutrals. the whole fontaine goal bet situation and various other bits and bobs have made a few of my non-bristol uni mates pay a bit of attention

Harry Thickett didnt do to bad either.. Runners up in division one and FA cup finalists...

Harry Thickett replaced Sam Hollis, and in his first season gained promotion from old div 2 to top flight. City were the first team to win 30 games in a season and gained a then record points total. In his 2nd season we were runners up in old div 1!

In 1909 we narrowly lost the FA cup final, the proceeds of which we spent on ground developments. So Thickett was a resounding success until the following season when we were relegated, and he was sacked.

I don't have a clue what the secret to Thickett's success was, or any details of his attributes. Perhaps he inherited a fantastic team or maybe he was an inspiration.

Joe Jordan's 2nd spell detracts from his 89/90 success, so best since Dicks is Gary Johnson. I agree with others though, Gary needs one more big acheivement before he is considered at Dicks' level, be it promotion, or an unlikely cup triumph.

I truly hope Gary can get us to the top flight, and leave us in a stable position, because then he would be our greatest to many fans, and I'd like to go to my grave knowing I'd experienced that.

Always believe... :fingerscrossed:

Strengths and weaknesses, everyone has these attributes, including football managers.

But with today's search for technical mastery of football in mind, then yes, GJ has to be top notch.

I've been an AG regular since before Alan Dicks so am able to compare the two.

In terms of achievement AD obviously got us in to the top flight but it did take nearly 10 years to do it. For most of that 10 years we struggled year in year out, usually managing a run of good results to get us out of relegation trouble. Not many managers would get that long to turn things round these days.

What AD eventually did was to turn a team of journeymen and a mixture of local kids (Merrick, Tainton, Cashley etc) and kids from Scotland (Gow, Ritchie etc) in to promotion candidates.

It cannot be denied that a lot of AD's team liked to live life to the full and it could be argued that this was where the booze culture that has plagued City for years actually started, although some may argue it was already in full swing before AD arrived.

GJ has got out of L1 in to the CCC where we narrowly missed out on promotion. All within 3 seasons.

Why I think GJ is the best manager this club has had is because of what he has achieved off the field as much as what he has done on it,

He has picked the club by its boot straps and got rid of much of what has been wrong with it for years. His team are not only a credit to GJ and the club but more importantly to the fans as well.

Overall its GJ who gets my vote but its a close run thing.

Archived