IGNORED

A Season Of Consolidation

SJC

think that you have given a good assessment of our chances this season. I agree that the expectation is high amonst the faithful,and rightly so. We the fans should beleive that we can compete with the teams with bigger budgets ,they also have a weight of expectation .The one thing that you seemed to have missed out is our team spirit, this could give us a massive advantage over our rivals. I am not "happy clappy"i just realize that this is a positive.

also the fact that we again have been writen off before we kick a ball is good imo, GJ will use this to our advantage aswell, he has been clever enough to build a seige mentality within the club ,and giving the number twelve shirt to the fans is a master stroke imo. GJ has included the fans in the seige,which will make us sing and support til the final whistle what ever the score.

the conclusions that i draw from this opinion is that we will have a good season on the whole,maybe bring in 2 new players in january,and finish top half. A play off place is a possibility but consolidation is the ideal outcome.This could work against us in the end because GJ could be headhunted in the closed season,which is my biggest fear.

Consolidation wasn't even a consideration last season if you believe the hype coming out of the dressing room at the time. I well remember Johnson saying that he had asked the players where they expected to finish and the response was overwhelmingly positive - rightly so as the season turned out.

No reason then why ambitions should be any different this season. I'm sure Johnson and the squad aren't thinking about 'consolidation' but even more determined to push on from last season and finish in the top 3. The two signings so far indicate the intention with a possible one or two more before the end of August.

I for one would be disapointed if the attitude inside AG was 'lets consolidate' - and I don't believe for one second that it is.

I see your point but...

If we adopted this aproach we would be happily accepting a point from fixtures like the one yesterday. GJ constantly went for it toward the end of many matches last season as he wanted to go for 3 points

I think that the point you wnt to make is get behind the team in doing the best they can but if we don't quite make it then don't be too disappointed

Consolidation wasn't even a consideration last season if you believe the hype coming out of the dressing room at the time. I well remember Johnson saying that he had asked the players where they expected to finish and the response was overwhelmingly positive - rightly so as the season turned out.

No reason then why ambitions should be any different this season. I'm sure Johnson and the squad aren't thinking about 'consolidation' but even more determined to push on from last season and finish in the top 3. The two signings so far indicate the intention with a possible one or two more before the end of August.

I for one would be disapointed if the attitude inside AG was 'lets consolidate' - and I don't believe for one second that it is.

A top 6 finish is far from out of reach and progression on last season will be and must be the target.

Just to be clear, I absolutely agree with you and felt I had stated this in the original post.

The club should be looking to push on from last season and at least emulate their performance, for what possible reason would they/we aim any lower.

My point was that whilst there is absolutely no reason why we cannot reproduce last seasons heroics and we should certainly aim to do so, if that does not materialise and we finish the season mid-table, despite the disappointment of missing out on the play-offs or promotion it should not be viewed as a failure and in-fact seen as a positive step toward gaining top flight status.

I see your point but...

If we adopted this aproach we would be happily accepting a point from fixtures like the one yesterday. GJ constantly went for it toward the end of many matches last season as he wanted to go for 3 points

I think that the point you wnt to make is get behind the team in doing the best they can but if we don't quite make it then don't be too disappointed

Interesting point. I counted SEVEN City players in and around the free-kick that led to Brooker's winner and FIVE of those were in the box. And still you get idiots who say we were LUCKY because we scored in the last minute.

As an aside I would love it if someone could give me a sensible explanation as to why a team that scores the winner in the 90th minute is somehow luckier than one that scores the winner in the 53rd minute? Don't goalscoring opportunites for both teams get spread out over the duration of the match?

I think it must be remembered that hype and motivational rhetoric are not the true measure of success, nor should fans take it too seriously.

In the reality of football, we would, as the original poster expressed, do very well to finish in even the lower end of the top half, because, simply, to improve on fourth is a tall order for a team in their 2nd season, yet we would prove that we are now established in the Championship and ready to push on.

I caould see us finishing 8th, and I'd be very optimistic about our third season at this level.

Right now, I'm just enjoying the ride (after all, that's the point of all this).

A team that scores in the last remaining minutes of a game are showing that they try to the end and the team that concedes could be said to have accepted the draw but luck had nothing to do with our goal at all.

Why?? We've done it once, why not again?. Please explain!!

Simple...we finished 4th last season and have (in my opinion) strenghened the team with two quality strikers in Maynard who is potentially worth +15 goals...and Brooker...and we have an immense back line and a strong midfield.

Therefore, BCFC should (and will) be pushing for automatic. Does history suggest that beaten CCC finalists curl up and die the next season???

PS..I don't buy all this about it being so much stronger than last year...relegation from the prem hangover will continue for 2 out the 3

I'm sticking with my top 2 prediction!

Well its showed last season how far we came, at the start of the season we wanted to 'stay up' but we ended up 'stayin down' i think if we could pull off automatic i would go absolutely crazy and would be a remarkable achievement of course but mid-table mediocricy wouldn't be bad. But with playerrs like marv and mcindoe who surely if he asked 4 a transfer request cuda left anywhere in the championship or even above so they must feel we are still going somewhere big.

AHEM

*points in the direction of Leeds Utd*

:innocent06:

Well you could as easily point to West Brom. Remind me what happened to them last season?

Whilst i remain an optimist with everything Bristol City, i would be delighted with a similar top 6 campaign as i believe the league has got tougher this season.

Not only have Birmingham and Reading kept the core of their squads, they have added smartly too. Couple that with tough teams like Forest and Swansea, with Donny being my outside bet for the year, replacing three very poor teams who were relegated.

Add last seasons good finishes by the likes of Sheff Utd and Ipswich and the squad strengthening of big clubs like Wolves, Charlton and QPR and it appears we may have our work cut out.

In our favour, two good signings, especially the aquisition of Maynard who has all the potential to get us those magical 20 goals this seasons. The return of Brooker as a viable option up top and a hungry squad detirmined to make up for last years heartache also fill me with optimism.

Finally though, if we can keep Gary Johnson from the bright lights of the Premier League then we will be doing fine as a club for years to come. He really is the glue of our club and if he was to leave then i dread to think who we can get to replace the void he would leave.

I'll stick with my prediction 8th-11th.

Don't expect too much, that way you are never disappointed. I totally agree with OP, I think that it will be a lot tougher this year, and we will do very well to make the top 6. The big problem is that, if we have a repeat of last season, it will be even harder to hang on to GJ.

Archived