IGNORED

After All Our Searching For A Striker

reddogkev

I know it's just the one match, and we should not get carried away by it - but is the Brook man going to be the answer to our prayers this season?

Now he has scored this late winner, I can only imagine his confidence is going to be soaring. Perhaps we will see the striker of old return, terrorising defences and showing his deadly shooting prowess, on the stage of the championship?

10 mins and 1 goal, coupled with a few decent performances at the tale end of last season, shows he might be able to make his mark at this level.

If he can get a full season of games, could he hit 15 - 20 goals this season?

As you say it's too early to get carried away and there are still obviously going to be doubts about his fitness.

That said I have never doubted he has the quality to succeed at this level and his ability to turn and score from around the edge of the box is something we've missed.

I expect he'll get a start against Posh alongside Maynard and it will be interesting to see how he does.

I doubt his valuation is much at the moment, he's out of contract in 09 and has had two forgettable seasons. If he does well in the first half and we give him a new contract I can see him being one of the better players at this level myself.

We shouldn't be too surprised that he can compete at this level, after all in league one we all thought he was punching below his weight.

The two remaining questions about Brooks are whether he can avoid injury, and whether he can fit into a system (he's kind of a half target man, half striker).

I bet Cheltenham are gutted...

if sb got 15 to 20 goals this season he would be worth over a million

We payed £2.25m for a striker who scored 17 goals last season in League 1, if Brooker scored 20 then surely he would be worth over £3m, but now i would say (if he stays fit) he's worth in the region of 500k-750k

We all got excited after he scored against Norwich, And then look what happened. Lets just give it a couple of games before we start getting excited about him once again.

We all got excited after he scored against Norwich, And then look what happened. Lets just give it a couple of games before we start getting excited about him once again.

He didn't get a game after that - or any real time on the pitch - it was always Trundle and Adebola.

I'd be happy if he got 10 goals this season. I think that's the milestone that he will have been set by GJ, if he even has one set that is? Brooker is the best player Tinnion signed. I've always rated him due to the fact that he is good at putting defenders under pressure and in many ways is like Viduka how he can have his back to goal and manage to turn and smash the ball into the corner of the net. I hope he can manage to score 10 this season and if he stays fit he's capable of it.

He didn't get a game after that - or any real time on the pitch - it was always Trundle and Adebola.

Because he got injured again and thats always going to be the major concern. Not whether he can compete, not whether he can score goals but whether he can avoid recurring injuries and maintain his fitness levels.

PDG

Because he got injured again and thats always going to be the major concern. Not whether he can compete, not whether he can score goals but whether he can avoid recurring injuries and maintain his fitness levels.

PDG

He could have played after the Norwich but he said he had a little niggle and then wasn't involved for the remaning games.

I'm can't say how delighted i am for him :winner_third_h4h: ...think he will be a very big player for us this season...replacing adebola as no 1 'Big lad' sooner rather than later..

Can't work out wether to be concerned about his reaction after scoring or not :noexpression:

It's good that he's fit and hopefully he can be the impact player Byfield was last season. But like Byfield last season, he'll do no more IMO. We do need serious Adebola competition though. Whatever your opinions on Brookers ability (or lack of) he's not a top end championship target man.

I honestly don't care Maynard missed chances, he got in places to score. He will score. Our striking play has moved uup a gear and we're no longer looking at balls whizzing along the box or going through the middle with noone there. There is someone there, it's Nicky Maynard and he'll finish soon enough.

It's good that he's fit and hopefully he can be the impact player Byfield was last season. But like Byfield last season, he'll do no more IMO. We do need serious Adebola competition though. Whatever your opinions on Brookers ability (or lack of) he's not a top end championship target man.

I think he can be a top end Championship centre forward if he stays fit and if he gets in front of Adebola I think he'll win more than his fair share in the air without encouraging us to hit it long that often.

I honestly don't care Maynard missed chances, he got in places to score. He will score. Our striking play has moved uup a gear and we're no longer looking at balls whizzing along the box or going through the middle with noone there. There is someone there, it's Nicky Maynard and he'll finish soon enough.

Totally agree, the goals will come and although that header should have been a goal the encouraging thing is that he was there in the first place - last season nobody would have been.

What this? some kind of twisted logic! Brooker scores a cracking goal and looked a handful for the 10 minutes he was on the pitch but he's not good enough. Maynard misses a open goal from 6 yards and has a fairly quiet game but your happy with him.

Brooker has had a awful time with injurys but I seriously believe with a run of games and good fitness he has what required to do a decent job at this level, to compare him to Byfield is an insult. Brooks has far more to his game thean Byfield will ever have...

Just clarify I actually would like to see Brooker and Maynard paired together on Tuesday night, I think that good be a good 'un.

Calm down guys...

We have 4 good stikers and a couple of players who could also play up front if required, Noble etc.

I have already stated in another forum that Brooker and Maynard if fit and well should be our front 2, but dele and trundle will be working hard to get a chance..

Just hope all the (wembley visitors... :surrender: ) start coming to the gate and supporting the boys.. we should get 18,000 per home game. I also hope we can sing all over the ground like we did against C. Palace in play offs. That was the best attmosphere I have ever seen..

Lets not get too carried away with old Brooks. He played well when he came on and took his goal well. As GJ said he was something differnt to what they had been up against for the last 80 mins.

I also thought Adebola did quite well and was not really treated fairly by the ref. Their CB was all over him and on another day would have got a lot more free kicks for his efforts. Not forgetting he also set up 2 good chances for Maynard which on another day will score.

A fit Brooker is a huge asset to the team but he'll still have to prove himself a bit more because Adebola will still be first choice to partner Maynard. For the time being, I'll be happy with Brooks making cameo appearances from the bench until we see a real dip in form from Adebola.

Calm down guys...

We have 4 good stikers and a couple of players who could also play up front if required, Noble etc.

I have already stated in another forum that Brooker and Maynard if fit and well should be our front 2, but dele and trundle will be working hard to get a chance..

Just hope all the (wembley visitors... :surrender: ) start coming to the gate and supporting the boys.. we should get 18,000 per home game. I also hope we can sing all over the ground like we did against C. Palace in play offs. That was the best attmosphere I have ever seen..

Calm down? Have I missed something... :tumbleweed:

Lets be honest fella Trundle has pretty much blown it at City,he'll only get a chance when the others are either injured or it's a cup game against lower oppisition. I actually think Trundle is currently bottom in the pecking order of the senior strikers which seems so strange when you think of all the hype that surrounded his move last summer.

Obviously with a 2.25m price tag Maynard will always be the first name on the team sheet but there's nothing between Brooker and Adebola for me, although purely out of personal choice I'd like Brooker to be given a run of games.

A fit SB will be massive bonus this season.

What this? some kind of twisted logic! Brooker scores a cracking goal and looked a handful for the 10 minutes he was on the pitch but he's not good enough. Maynard misses a open goal from 6 yards and has a fairly quiet game but your happy with him.

Brooker has had a awful time with injurys but I seriously believe with a run of games and good fitness he has what required to do a decent job at this level, to compare him to Byfield is an insult. Brooks has far more to his game thean Byfield will ever have...

Just clarify I actually would like to see Brooker and Maynard paired together on Tuesday night, I think that good be a good 'un.

Sort of, I see Brookers ten minutes as ten minutes as an impact player against Blackpool. It's nothing major, he scored, great. I jumped up and down as much as anyone but it's not really significant in changing my opinion as to how he or we will do. We had Byfield last season, he looked a handful in ten minute spells it didn't make him a starting championship player. As to whether Brooker will be, i think not, you think so, we'll both wait and see,

Maynard being there however is a massive seismic difference from what happened from last season and the improvement to this season. Again the 90 minutes of relative quietness and a glaring miss won't change my opinion of him (IMO he's quality) and the way he was there to have chances is a big big boost for us. It does IMO make a significant difference to our season having a Maynard where I can't get overly excited in having Byfield mk II in the form of Brooker because it changes relatively little.

Brooker and Byfield have reasonably similar records in goalscoring so it's hardly an insult to compare the two. Both have around a one in two record at league one level. The only real difference is that Byfield has had a couple of seasons in the championship and not really delivered while Brooker hasn't played enough to draw any conclusions.

Sort of, I see Brookers ten minutes as ten minutes as an impact player against Blackpool. It's nothing major, he scored, great. I jumped up and down as much as anyone but it's not really significant in changing my opinion as to how he or we will do. We had Byfield last season, he looked a handful in ten minute spells it didn't make him a starting championship player. As to whether Brooker will be, i think not, you think so, we'll both wait and see,

Maynard being there however is a massive seismic difference from what happened from last season and the improvement to this season. Again the 90 minutes of relative quietness and a glaring miss won't change my opinion of him (IMO he's quality) and the way he was there to have chances is a big big boost for us. It does IMO make a significant difference to our season having a Maynard where I can't get overly excited in having Byfield mk II in the form of Brooker because it changes relatively little.

Brooker and Byfield have reasonably similar records in goalscoring so it's hardly an insult to compare the two. Both have around a one in two record at league one level. The only real difference is that Byfield has had a couple of seasons in the championship and not really delivered while Brooker hasn't played enough to draw any conclusions.

Could Byfield have scored a goal like Brooker on Sat?

Could Dele?

No.

His ability is clear for all to see apart from maybe Eamer and Stevie Wonder. Comparing Brooker with Byfield is crazy given they are completely opposite players. Darren relied on poaching, Steve can get a goal out of nothing.

Given he was one of the best strikers in L1, I fail to see how you can doubt his ability to step up.

Archived