IGNORED

After All Our Searching For A Striker

reddogkev

Could Byfield have scored a goal like Brooker on Sat?

Could Dele?

No.

His ability is clear for all to see apart from maybe Eamer and Stevie Wonder. Comparing Brooker with Byfield is crazy given they are completely opposite players. Darren relied on poaching, Steve can get a goal out of nothing.

Given he was one of the best strikers in L1, I fail to see how you can doubt his ability to step up.

All the media raved about KevinPhilips' goal on saturday - brooker's was better yet nobody gives him the credit he deserves.

Brooker and maynard to start games with Adebola to come on if we need to go route1 would be my choice. Trundle to cover for injuries. This wouldn't do trundle any favours as he'll probably put on a few pounds sitting in the dugout.

Could Byfield have scored a goal like Brooker on Sat?

Could Dele?

No.

Could Trundle? Yes. What does this prove? Nothing. Why is this relevant? It isn't. Does answering your own questions with an opinion make it a fact? No.

His ability is clear for all to see apart from maybe Eamer and Stevie Wonder. Comparing Brooker with Byfield is crazy given they are completely opposite players. Darren relied on poaching, Steve can get a goal out of nothing.

Given he was one of the best strikers in L1, I fail to see how you can doubt his ability to step up.

I'm saying it's no insult to compare the two players as seend suggested and using their similar goal record as a reason why. I'm not comparing the players in terms of style.. simply saying they will share the same as an impact player in this league who will do no better. That's my opinion for now. It'll change if Steve starts games, plays well and scores goals.

So was Byfield, so was Trundle, so was Sharp, so was Eastwood, so was Ormerod, so was Fryatt, Hume, Greenacre, so was etc etc etc etc. Scoring goals in league one is NOT a guarantee you will be good in the championship. I fail to see how you can think all players who play reasonably in league one will automatically play well in the championship. Especially when we had two strikers last season who didn't. I'm not saying all strikers will fail, just some do and there can be reasons for optimism as reasons for concern. I have concerns over Brooker to make the step up. You think he's going to be amazing. Until he performs regularly at this level we won't know. And both opinions if based on reason are equally valid. I personally fail to see the reasons for great optimism regarding him considering his record and performances up to now. I'm surprised the concensus is against this but hey ho time will tell.

I'm saying it's no insult to compare the two players as seend suggested and using their similar goal record as a reason why. I'm not comparing the players in terms of style.. simply saying they will share the same as an impact player in this league who will do no better. That's my opinion for now. It'll change if Steve starts games, plays well and scores goals.

So was Byfield, so was Trundle, so was Sharp, so was Eastwood, so was Ormerod, so was Fryatt, Hume, Greenacre, so was etc etc etc etc. Scoring goals in league one is NOT a guarantee you will be good in the championship. I fail to see how you can think all players who play reasonably in league one will automatically play well in the championship. Especially when we had two strikers last season who didn't. I'm not saying all strikers will fail, just some do and there can be reasons for optimism as reasons for concern. I have concerns over Brooker to make the step up. You think he's going to be amazing. Until he performs regularly at this level we won't know. And both opinions if based on reason are equally valid. I personally fail to see the reasons for great optimism regarding him considering his record and performances up to now. I'm surprised the concensus is against this but hey ho time will tell.

Quite simply really.

Because Brooker gets the ball and smashes it into the corner with either foot, which requires skill, acuracy, talent, whatever.

Completely different ball game to being a tap in merchant ala Fryatt, Greenacre, Sharp etc.

Guest ashtonyate
What this? some kind of twisted logic! Brooker scores a cracking goal and looked a handful for the 10 minutes he was on the pitch but he's not good enough. Maynard misses a open goal from 6 yards and has a fairly quiet game but your happy with him.

Brooker has had a awful time with injurys but I seriously believe with a run of games and good fitness he has what required to do a decent job at this level, to compare him to Byfield is an insult. Brooks has far more to his game thean Byfield will ever have...

Just clarify I actually would like to see Brooker and Maynard paired together on Tuesday night, I think that good be a good 'un.

I think Byfield done a good job here it was a pity he was not kept match fit for the Wembley game.Brooker has always gave a good performance and could be the difference this season.At last we seem to buy younger forwards with their careea in front of them instead of player who have seen better days

Whatever your opinions on Brookers ability (or lack of) he's not a top end championship target man.

My opinion on Brooker's ability is that he's a top end championship target man.

With your logic, I'm not sure if I've contradicted myself or you. :noexpression:

With all due respect to Brooker, and the great goal he scored for us on Saturday, I see him more as a back up to the main strikers (Maynard, Adebola, Trundle).

For me, Brooker's problem has always been his first touch and his fitness. If he can improve those, he could well turn out to be a quality Championship striker.

all this is a lot of crap. he scores in this league so he is a championship striker. Q.E.D.

Steve Brooker's basic job description from GJ:

Play when I TELL you to, come on when I WANT you to, score goals when we NEED you to.

So far, he has complied perfectly with his description 100% and given he has done this in THE CHAMPIONSHIP I think he can safetly be described as a CHAMPIONSHIP STRIKER. Whether he plays for 1 minute or 100 minutes is immaterial.

If this is his only goal by Xmas then it's a different matter but if he stays over 30% goals to games (currently in the CHAMPIONSHIP since coming back from Chelts its 2 goals in 5 games so thats 40%) then it's job done, thanks very much.

He is a critical club in the bag for us.

I'm still trying to figure out how he scored that goal. He brought the ball down well with his chest and then turned and had a shot from a tight angle with a packed area and somehow it managed to go in. It wasn't even a fluke either. Just a class goal. We were sucked in by them to play long ball and time after time the ball would either go out for a goal kick or a offside flag was raised or Adebola got beaten to the ball most of the time. On that showing Adebola needs to improve a lot more to keep Brooks out of the side.

With all due respect to Brooker, and the great goal he scored for us on Saturday, I see him more as a back up to the main strikers (Maynard, Adebola, Trundle).

Wow it's amazing just how differently people can see the same situation.

Genuinely amazed you'd put Brooker behind Trundle :ermm:

I really hope Brooker starts tomorrow night, Ill have bet on him scoring if he is.

What this? some kind of twisted logic! Brooker scores a cracking goal and looked a handful for the 10 minutes he was on the pitch but he's not good enough. Maynard misses a open goal from 6 yards and has a fairly quiet game but your happy with him.

Brooker has had a awful time with injurys but I seriously believe with a run of games and good fitness he has what required to do a decent job at this level, to compare him to Byfield is an insult. Brooks has far more to his game thean Byfield will ever have...

Just clarify I actually would like to see Brooker and Maynard paired together on Tuesday night, I think that good be a good 'un.

I have been saying this for a while. I just think that Brookers movement up front is better than Deles and would open up more spaces for Maynard to get into.

Wow it's amazing just how differently people can see the same situation.

Genuinely amazed you'd put Brooker behind Trundle :ermm:

I really hope Brooker starts tomorrow night, Ill have bet on him scoring if he is.

I only place Brooker where he is for the reasons I gave. Trundle is the more complete player technically, but having said that, has still to prove (to me anyways) he can cut it in the Championship.

I like Brooker and wish him well as he always gives 100% for the cause - but for me, he still has a little way to go to prove to me that he can survive at this level.

But hey! He's made a great start and I hope it continues so let's not dwell on the negatives!

...and if I were a betting man, I'd bet on him scoring if he starts, too! :winner_third_h4h:

all this is a lot of crap. he scores in this league so he is a championship striker. Q.E.D.

Steve Brooker's basic job description from GJ:

Play when I TELL you to, come on when I WANT you to, score goals when we NEED you to.

So far, he has complied perfectly with his description 100% and given he has done this in THE CHAMPIONSHIP I think he can safetly be described as a CHAMPIONSHIP STRIKER. Whether he plays for 1 minute or 100 minutes is immaterial.

If this is his only goal by Xmas then it's a different matter but if he stays over 30% goals to games (currently in the CHAMPIONSHIP since coming back from Chelts its 2 goals in 5 games so thats 40%) then it's job done, thanks very much.

He is a critical club in the bag for us.

Hear Hear, well said that man. Especially the first line, and the last.

Archived