IGNORED

'wrong Mentality' - Johnson

Robbored

Several times last season we heard Johnson say in his post match interviews that at half-time he had to 'change the mentality' of the players which most people interpret as the hairdryer treatment. It obviously worked on a number of occaisions as City came out in the second 45 a different side.

Johnson was at it again yesterday - the same 'wrong mentalty' comment in his post match interview.

Now I'm sure what this means. Surely as professional footballers mind-set is as important an ingredient as tatics and formations and they should have the right mentality before they step out onto the pitch before any game. Its upto Johnson and Millen to ensure that the players are mentally ready and yet frequently they are not as Johnsns post match comments often suggest.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I'm not sure what Johnson means with his 'wrong mentality' comment. Perhaps its not something that can be assesed before a game kicks off - otherwise he and Millen would make sure it didn't happen.

Anyone else any idea what Johnson means?

Several times last season we heard Johnson say in his post match interviews that at half-time he had to 'change the mentality' of the players which most people interpret as the hairdryer treatment. It obviously worked on a number of occaisions as City came out in the second 45 a different side.

Johnson was at it again yesterday - the same 'wrong mentalty' comment in his post match interview.

Now I'm sure what this means. Surely as professional footballers mind-set is as important an ingredient as tatics and formations and they should have the right mentality before they step out onto the pitch before any game. Its upto Johnson and Millen to ensure that the players are mentally ready and yet frequently they are not as Johnsns post match comments often suggest.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I'm not sure what Johnson means with his 'wrong mentality' comment. Perhaps its not something that can be assesed before a game kicks off - otherwise he and Millen would make sure it didn't happen.

Anyone else any idea what Johnosn means?

Wel i always thought it sort of meant tactics, like a mixture of tactics and what you're thinking, for example yesterday i noticed they gave it to hammel who would cross it at the full-backs as they were weak in the air, maybe Johnson told us to hoof it over the top for maynard which which will work easily which i doubt he would say which meant they went out with the wrong tactics and mind-set. I sort of confused myself here :laugh:

Anyone else any idea what Johnosn means?

Our players are always mentally prepared for a game before they enter the field I am sure.

However what happens is that mentalaties can be dictated by the game itself. For example if a team is becoming dominant in an attacking way the mentality of the defending team can often alter (negatively) concentrating the mind on defending the goal.

City came out second half yesterday much more attack minded and positive and this is the change of mentality that Mr Johnson I believe is reffering to.. changing the attitude from a defence minded (wrong mentality) to the right one... concentrating on our football and siezing back the initiative.

Robo Question for you...Why do you always refer to Gary Johnson (GJ) as simply Johnson....It does always read as though you don't like the bloke

Wel i always thought it sort of meant tactics, like a mixture of tactics and what you're thinking, for example yesterday i noticed they gave it to hammel who would cross it at the full-backs as they were weak in the air, maybe Johnson told us to hoof it over the top for maynard which which will work easily which i doubt he would say which meant they went out with the wrong tactics and mind-set. I sort of confused myself here :laugh:

So you don't know either....

Our players are always mentally prepared for a game before they enter the field I am sure.

However what happens is that mentalaties can be dictated by the game itself. For example if a team is becoming dominant in an attacking way the mentality of the defending team can often alter (negatively) concentrating the mind on defending the goal.

City came out second half yesterday much more attack minded and positive and this is the change of mentality that Mr Johnson I believe is reffering to.. changing the attitude from a defence minded (wrong mentality) to the right one... concentrating on our football and siezing back the initiative.

Robo Question for you...Why do you always refer to Gary Johnson (GJ) as simply Johnson....It does always read as though you don't like the bloke

So you don't know either....

:laugh: well i think REDOXO is right but i sorta had it right bout match dictating how it went. :D

so unless he says gary johnson you regard it as a slight on his managerial abilities ? some people on here like to take any opportunity to pick holes in what robbored says who i think talks alot of sense most of the time, its getting very old.........

Someone asked me the same question when Wilson was manager.

Its just something that I do without really thinking about it. There is certainly no hidden agenda. I think I refer to most City employee's by there surname most of the time.

I personally don't like players being refered to in threads by thier intials because 1) It takes me a while to work out who they are. 2) Its lazy imo.

Its just something that I do without really thinking about it. There is certainly no hidden agenda. I think I refer to most City employee's by there surname most of the time.

I personally don't like players being refered to in threads by thier intials because 1) It takes me a while to work out who they are. 2) Its lazy imo.

Thanks for clarifying...

I know what you mean about the initial thing, sometimes it takes me ages...Its age/alcohol related brain cell deficiancy I think...

Very amusing!!

...in my opinion ;) You're right, it is lazy. :innocent06:

I agree about initials because sometimes I can't work out who they are!

so unless he says gary johnson you regard it as a slight on his managerial abilities ? some people on here like to take any opportunity to pick holes in what robbored says who i think talks alot of sense most of the time, its getting very old.........

WHATS YOUR PROBLEM

It was question asked and answered in good faith...

######

Who cares, we won !!! In which case, job done GJ.

Wrong mentality...

Well when I was playing, it meant going out with a plan, the managers plan. Most importantly understanding it.

You had a job to do, he would be very specific in what he wanted. How you approached aspects of the game. I played in a very well organised team, where the manager expect certain things from you and the team as a whole.

Now when you get on the pitch, you start to get to know you opponent a little better, you see how they plan and you deviate from your plan, and go it alone, thinking you know better, this is what mentality is, for right or for wrong.

If your manager in the first 5 minutes expects you to crunch your maker, fairly of course, just to let him know your in the game and you don't.... this is the wrong mentality. He is watching.

If you go up for a corner and don't attack the ball the way he expects, then he will notice.

If you get forward and don't deliver a cross in a certain area of the field, like the way discussed in the dressing room and pass a different way, this deviates from the plan.

Mentality. The manger and his backroom staff, have had teams watched. Worked out their weakness, their strengths. Patterns of play. Who does what and when. What makes a team tick. What gets under their skin. Who to provoke, who not to.

So to understand all this, put together a plan, a way of beating them, and players ignore this.... Mentality.

I for one totally understand this.

Wrong mentality...

Well when I was playing, it meant going out with a plan, the managers plan. Most importantly understanding it.

You had a job to do, he would be very specific in what he wanted. How you approached aspects of the game. I played in a very well organised team, where the manager expect certain things from you and the team as a whole.

Now when you get on the pitch, you start to get to know you opponent a little better, you see how they plan and you deviate from your plan, and go it alone, thinking you know better, this is what mentality is, for right or for wrong.

If your manager in the first 5 minutes expects you to crunch your maker, fairly of course, just to let him know your in the game and you don't.... this is the wrong mentality. He is watching.

If you go up for a corner and don't attack the ball the way he expects, then he will notice.

If you get forward and don't deliver a cross in a certain area of the field, like the way discussed in the dressing room and pass a different way, this deviates from the plan.

Mentality. The manger and his backroom staff, have had teams watched. Worked out their weakness, their strengths. Patterns of play. Who does what and when. What makes a team tick. What gets under their skin. Who to provoke, who not to.

So to understand all this, put together a plan, a way of beating them, and players ignore this.... Mentality.

Yours is one way of understanding what Johnson means but I would call what you've described as prepartion and stratagy. Designing a plan and sticking to it untill its necessary for plan 'B'.

I think he means something else when he says 'wrong mentality'. After all players can stick to their jobs and carry out a plan regardless of whether thier mentality is right.

Perhaps Johnson thinks he doesn't need to say "Go out and play positively" to a bunch of players he's had for a few years. It's one of those things I guess where you can say why doesn't the manager get them playing that way all the time? But you can certainly ask the players why they'd go and not be positive.

I'm just glad that when it does happen, more than most, Johnson gets them to up their performance. "If you want motivated players..." etc. I think it's a problem across all of football with players coming out and just not performing, and perhaps it's actually a positive sign that we notice them not playing well, and notice the change after Johnson yells at them!

It's be very very concerning if we couldn't get a reaction.

Yours is one way of understanding what Johnson means but I would call what you've described as prepartion and stratagy. Designing a plan and sticking to it untill its necessary for plan 'B'.

I think he means something else when he says 'wrong mentality'. After all players can stick to their jobs and carry out a plan regardless of whether thier mentality is right.

Well there in is my point. Players don't stick to what they are told, do it their own way, and that is where you get your wrong mentatlity.

it means he wants them to be bolder, take more shots, take someone on ,believe you are better than the opposition play with gay abandon when you have the ball and get solid when you haven't, as a manager you cannot tell sometimes there state of mind, everyone is always up for it before a game, all the bravado before kick off means nothing if individuals start slowly, when half time comes thats when the manager earns his corn. You should get out more Robbo

Thankyou for the explanation. Next time Johnson uses 'the wrong mentality' in his post match interview, I'll have an idea what he means. I happen to pay great attention to post match interviews and it helps if you know what the manager means

As for your last comment about me getting out more. That was a little unnecessary.You can tell by the lack of explanations to my original question in this thread that no-one else knew what 'wrong mentality' ment and as post match interviews are usually interesting to us fans I thought I ask the question.

it means he wants them to be bolder, take more shots, take someone on ,believe you are better than the opposition play with gay abandon when you have the ball and get solid when you haven't, as a manager you cannot tell sometimes there state of mind, everyone is always up for it before a game, all the bravado before kick off means nothing if individuals start slowly, when half time comes thats when the manager earns his corn. You should get out more Robbo

Wrong.

As I understand it, and being close to the man in question I have these little insights, it means he wants them to go out drinking more, stay up late and go to strip bars once in a while.

Start being real men at home and hit the wife or girlfriend about a bit if their dinner isn't on the table when they get home from the pub, maybe have an affair or two like 99% of "real" men do.

Being in the zone means "dentists chair" in sportsmen circles too, the sooner our whiter than white players start living a little, the faster we will climb the leagues, look at the rise of Lee Peacock, playing in Man City reserves in the Northern Durex Premier league to Swindon Town in under 5 seasons, secret to his success, yep, drinking.

That's two games this has happened in a row now...

Great that we got reactions, lets hope when we face better opposition we come out of the blocks firing rather than relying on a half time pep talk. Because by then...it could be too late.

Any opinion as to why our individuals tend to be slow starters?

I see that Gary blames 'believing our own hype' for the dodgy first half last night.

Was funny cos we began like a league two side but ended up keeping possession like a Premier League side.

Gary certainly knows how to get the best out of the boys, I'd love to see footage of him behind the scenes. Would be fascinating to see the rollickings, the praise, and everythng in between. He's a top man, and a top manager.

Wrong mentality...

Not being of a religious nature am i to assume by this that have to go in, studs up, on my parents ?

PDG (feeling pedantic)

No offence intended, just a bit of fun.

BTW. Gary said on his interview that he was just unhappy with the way they`d forced us onto the back foot. Nothing to be alarmed about, no dodgy pre-match tactics, just what happens in matches sometimes and the sort of thing that quality managers spot and sort out.

PDG

Archived