IGNORED

Everyone Calls Us Bristol

garlicbread

Doesn't really bother me, as its usually only done within a certain context eg: Derby fans on their site as they are playing us next. They probably would not do it if (god forbid!) we were in the same division as our poor neighbours.

I see it in the press but usually when the write up has been headed by the result or our full name mentioned before in the article.

What really gets to me is when Sky and others talk about "United" or "Rangers" and put in on the breaking news strip.

When anyone mentions them to me like that, I ask if they are talking about Newcastle, Carlisle or Peterborough or QPR (who are probably now bigger and better than the Glasgow lot!)

As long as they don't think we are in Wales I really don't care!

They would do just the same if both clubs were in the same division just as they do with the Sheffield clubs.

I agree with you about the "United" thing. I was on holiday in Mallorca a few years ago and just popped into a bar to get the ft scores off Sky when this **** walks in and asks me how have United gone on. I said drew 1 all at Mansfield. He looked at me as if I was a complete cretin and asked me the same question again to which I replied yes Torquay United drew 1 each at Mansfield. To that he again looked at me as if he thought I was a bit simple and walked off to the next guy and asked exactly the same question!

Arrogant beyond belief, all we can do is not pander to it and show them the same respect as they show us.

Mike

I don't like it at all. It's annoying, one of my friends who is a Carlisle fan was bragging to me about how they beat Bristol and I then proceeded to tell him I support Bristol City NOT Bristol Rovers and he didn't really seem to know the difference.

For years I have always hated it when non-Bristolians across the country called us Bristol...maybe down to the fact that any semblence of confusion with the blue few would cause embarresment and anger.

But now this great club is finally on the march again, I (gulp) have started to quite like the tag...Yes, City first and foremost but surely it now means that the blue few arent even recognised on a national level.

Afterall, there's only one team in Bristol!

Does anyone still hate the Bristol tag, or like me getting used to it and starting to like it?

(Would never use it myself of course)

I wouldnt read to much into it mate!!!....Everyone calls us Bristol aswell. Your lot always trying to be this superior super club, it make I laugh it really does!

I wouldnt read to much into it mate!!!....Everyone calls us Bristol aswell. Your lot always trying to be this superior super club, it make I laugh it really does!

So it doesn't bother you that people don't really see the difference between our club and yours! Because it really annoys me! And yes we are the superior! :yes:

So it doesn't bother you that people don't really see the difference between our club and yours! Because it really annoys me! And yes we are the superior! :yes:

I think he is saying don't read into it that its because Rovers are off everyone's Radar. The people who are suggesting that really do have their head up somewhere where the sun don't shine. Rovers get called Bristol, City get called Bristol its not just City and its not just Rovers and City's relative success to Rovers is completely unknown to the ignorant twerps who disrespect both clubs by not bothering to differentiate between them.

Just show them the same respect back!

Mike

It doesnt bother me that much to be honest!....The fact is that they are just ignorant. Probably due to the fact that we have never been big succesful clubs in our entire histories.

I can bet you that if Sheffield Wednesday and United had spent the majority of there histories in the bottom 2 tiers of the football league then people would refer to them as just Sheffield.

Its just the fact that both Bristol clubs have hugely underachieved and have never achieved any real success in there footballing histories. I'm sorry to disagree with every single C*ty fan, but like us, you are just a small time club at this moment in time. In the future I believe Bristol will have 2 clubs in the Premier League, but like I said we are just mickey mouse clubs with no real history at present.

And you have never been superior to us. You have never been more than one division above us, compare that to other local rivals.

Man United were 2 divisions above City as recent as 1999, Shefield Wednesday were 4 divions above United in the mid 80s, Stoke are now 4 leagues above port vale......Now that is what I call being superior!

Stop thinking you are a big club because you aint!

Guest pepsi&shirley
Nobody is getting dissed at all...I'm sure that when the likes of Derby (on a previous thread) refer to us as Bristol, you can be sure it isnt because we may take offence....no, its because they don't remember that Bristol also has a minnow club called Bristol Rovers. That is what I was trying to say from the offset.

That is why I am becoming more passive about the fact

Morning Garlic Breathe...This has been going on for as long as I can remember even at the times when we have been above you in the league so its not really about how really MASSIVE you lot are or us being "minnows" as you would like to call us, its just how the rest of the country see it..You are just not as significant to others as you would like to see yourself....

Thanks

Pepsi

Guest pepsi&shirley
It's like foreigners often call Manchester United "Manchester"

They notice United because they are the dominant side there, right?

So to the rest of England we are the dominant side in Bristol :)

but we knew that already.

Did you not just read what's been wrote.They call Gas bristol aswell.. So that leaves your arguement where exactlty. :noexpression:

I can bet you that if Sheffield Wednesday and United had spent the majority of there histories in the bottom 2 tiers of the football league then people would refer to them as just Sheffield.

They ARE often both called just Sheffield, and are generally shown the same disrespect as the Bristol Clubs!

Mike

They would do just the same if both clubs were in the same division just as they do with the Sheffield clubs.

I agree with you about the "United" thing. I was on holiday in Mallorca a few years ago and just popped into a bar to get the ft scores off Sky when this **** walks in and asks me how have United gone on. I said drew 1 all at Mansfield. He looked at me as if I was a complete cretin and asked me the same question again to which I replied yes Torquay United drew 1 each at Mansfield. To that he again looked at me as if he thought I was a bit simple and walked off to the next guy and asked exactly the same question!

Arrogant beyond belief, all we can do is not pander to it and show them the same respect as they show us.

Mike

Absolute class, Mick!!! I am SO going to keep that up my sleeve for next time I'm in a bar abroad watching results on Sky Sports News.......

Note to self......memorise the Mangotsfield United result on the Southern League rolling bar especially for the lazy Premiershi* united 'fans'. That'll teach 'em....B£st£rds!

I put up with ignorance about 'So you support Bristol then' on a daily basis up here, but as some of the previous posters have said....I no longer give a monkey's. I know who my team is.......job done!

ALWAYS BELIEVE

If city and rovers played each other in a game live on sky, it wouldn't be called Bristol v Bristol would it? So why should anyone else call us Bristol, it's just a lack of disrespect IMO, and the likes of sky,BBC,ITV ect don't help the situation because they always refer to us as Bristol. It does my head in!!!!!! :ranting::ranting::ranting:

If city and rovers played each other in a game live on sky, it wouldn't be called Bristol v Bristol would it? So why should anyone else call us Bristol, it's just a lack of disrespect IMO, and the likes of sky,BBC,ITV ect don't help the situation because they always refer to us as Bristol. It does my head in!!!!!! :ranting::ranting::ranting:

True, would Dundee Utd be known as simply Dundee?

Mick, you`re a ****head. City are not a minnow club and i can assure you they are not considered a minnow club by the rest of the country. Have fun this season we`ll probably see you again next season. Lets face it, the only way that won`t happen is if we go up. Odds arn`t great for us getting promoted but your lot are nailed on certs for relegation.

PDG (slightly miffed)

So by that Logic two questions:-

1. Why do these ignorant nobheads also call Rovers just "Bristol" ?

2. Do people ever call either Sheffield club just Sheffield? If so which one?

They call both Bristol clubs Bristol because they don't know the difference between the two Bristol clubs and care even less! Have you ever heard anyone call Manchester City or Ure just Manchester? No, not very often. But I do. I show them the same respect as they show the Bristol clubs - ZERO.

Try it next time you are talking to a Manchester supporter just call them "Manchester" and then ask them if they are the ones who play at the Commonwealth games stadium or Trafford Park. This is one of my pet hates, and I am a Stoke City supporter (family for several generations from SOT) but was born and brought up in this great City and I hate it when people from up country disrespect it as they often do (not just football).

Mike

With Sheffield though, you can't really call United or Wednesday just Sheffield, as there is a Sheffield FC! (Albeit in the non-leagues), so that would actually be mocking all 3 clubs, if not accidentally praising Sheffield FC for no apparent reason...

If there was a Bristol FC (which there isn't), then it would more than likely be the same thing!

It does confuse me as to why some pundits call both City and Rovers, just "Bristol" at times, but I'm guessing it's because both teams have yet to have both been in the top flight together, and get that worldwide recognition for it!

You could say the same about loads of other clubs, like Cambridge and Lincoln for example!

Both of those cities have 2 clubs, and yet the bigger ones never seem to be called their full name!

Manchester is a different kettle of fish again, considering United are known worldwide, and can be shortened to just "Man U", which would be easier to say than "Manchester" when doing commentary...

Back to Bristol though, personally I think that pundits and commentators need to call both clubs by their full names, as both clubs are in the football league after all, and have been for a very long time now!

So by that Logic two questions:-

1. Why do these ignorant nobheads also call Rovers just "Bristol" ?

2. Do people ever call either Sheffield club just Sheffield? If so which one?

They call both Bristol clubs Bristol because they don't know the difference between the two Bristol clubs and care even less! Have you ever heard anyone call Manchester City or Ure just Manchester? No, not very often. But I do. I show them the same respect as they show the Bristol clubs - ZERO.

Try it next time you are talking to a Manchester supporter just call them "Manchester" and then ask them if they are the ones who play at the Commonwealth games stadium or Trafford Park. This is one of my pet hates, and I am a Stoke City supporter (family for several generations from SOT) but was born and brought up in this great City and I hate it when people from up country disrespect it as they often do (not just football).

Mike

I do agree with you here Mick although I'd argue Bristol City aren't a minnow club (being biased of course but still) Bristol and the West Country is a bit of a grey area to many people around the UK I find, when it comes to both geography and sports! I live and work up in the West Midlands, and although it's only an hour or so up the road, most people haven't got a clue about where exactly we are and the difference between the two clubs. I still get asked the same questions after three years of knowing some people: 'How did Bristol get on today' or 'Wait... are you City or Rovers?!'

Archived