IGNORED

Everyone Calls Us Bristol

garlicbread

For years I have always hated it when non-Bristolians across the country called us Bristol...maybe down to the fact that any semblence of confusion with the blue few would cause embarresment and anger.

But now this great club is finally on the march again, I (gulp) have started to quite like the tag...Yes, City first and foremost but surely it now means that the blue few arent even recognised on a national level.

Afterall, there's only one team in Bristol!

Does anyone still hate the Bristol tag, or like me getting used to it and starting to like it?

(Would never use it myself of course)

For years I have always hated it when non-Bristolians across the country called us Bristol...maybe down to the fact that any semblence of confusion with the blue few would cause embarresment and anger.

But now this great club is finally on the march again, I (gulp) have started to quite like the tag...Yes, City first and foremost but surely it now means that the blue few arent even recognised on a national level.

Afterall, there's only one team in Bristol!

Does anyone still hate the Bristol tag, or like me getting used to it and starting to like it?

(Would never use it myself of course)

Me? I Hate It.

I've never had a problem with it, it just confirms the fact that there's only one team in Bristol worth noticing.

So by that Logic two questions:-

1. Why do these ignorant nobheads also call Rovers just "Bristol" ?

2. Do people ever call either Sheffield club just Sheffield? If so which one?

They call both Bristol clubs Bristol because they don't know the difference between the two Bristol clubs and care even less! Have you ever heard anyone call Manchester City or Ure just Manchester? No, not very often. But I do. I show them the same respect as they show the Bristol clubs - ZERO.

Try it next time you are talking to a Manchester supporter just call them "Manchester" and then ask them if they are the ones who play at the Commonwealth games stadium or Trafford Park. This is one of my pet hates, and I am a Stoke City supporter (family for several generations from SOT) but was born and brought up in this great City and I hate it when people from up country disrespect it as they often do (not just football).

Mike

They call both Bristol clubs Bristol because they don't know the difference between the two Bristol clubs and care even less! Have you ever heard anyone call Manchester City or Ure just Manchester? No, not very often. But I do. I show them the same respect as they show the Bristol clubs - ZERO.

Try it next time you are talking to a Manchester supporter just call them "Manchester" and then ask them if they are the ones who play at the Commonwealth games stadium or Trafford Park. This is one of my pet hates, and I am a Stoke City supporter (family for several generations from SOT) but was born and brought up in this great City and I hate it when people from up country disrespect it as they often do (not just football).

Mike

:clapping: Great post. My sentiments exactly. Wait till I see those bloody Mancs!!

Mike

In Europe, especially Italy, Man U are commonly referred to as just Manchester. AC Milan are just MILAN and Inter Milan are INTER.

I like the fact that les moins bleu are disappearing from view and that people are finally realising that there is only OTIB.

Although I ###### hate it when our fans sing BRIS-TOL, BRIS-TOL like they are watching the rugby or something, which is much worse in my view.

as for Sjoke, well there's only one team in Port Vale...

Mike

My reply was somewhat tongue in cheek but it's not disrespect and really nothing to get worked up over IMO.

It's natural for people who aren't from Bristol to shorten the name to Bristol rather than City. Most of us would shorten Norwich City to Norwich or Birmingham City to Brum.

It's not like we're going to be in the same division any time soon so there's no confusion really and it's an opportunity to have a little dig at the blue few which should never really be passed up.

In Europe, especially Italy, Man U are commonly referred to as just Manchester. AC Milan are just MILAN and Inter Milan are INTER.

I like the fact that les moins bleu are disappearing from view and that people are finally realising that there is only OTIB.

Although I ###### hate it when our fans sing BRIS-TOL, BRIS-TOL like they are watching the rugby or something, which is much worse in my view.

as for Sjoke, well there's only one team in Port Vale...

And 2 and 2 makes 5.

Try and consider the two questions at the top of my post. Bristol City and Bristol Rovers have ALWAYS been called Bristol by the ignorant masses it has nothing to do with relative success. Bristol City are not a popular, well known or successful club from a national perspective (only a local one).

Mike

My reply was somewhat tongue in cheek but it's not disrespect and really nothing to get worked up over IMO.

It's natural for people who aren't from Bristol to shorten the name to Bristol rather than City. Most of us would shorten Norwich City to Norwich or Birmingham City to Brum.

It's not like we're going to be in the same division any time soon so there's no confusion really and it's an opportunity to have a little dig at the blue few which should never really be passed up.

Nibor of course people call Norwich and Birmingham by their first name thats because there is NO OTHER club with the same first name. Funnily enough people also call Stoke City just Stoke and I have no problem with that but I would have if say Port Vale were called Stoke Rovers!

People are dissing you and you cant see it! If not, as I say, why are Rovers also referred to as just Bristol?

Mike

What you mean as opposed to Norwich rovers or Birmingham united. Mike sums it up most for me it is annoying i don't like it one bit but i really hate it when they get us and the Gas confused it happens quite alot. FA cup last year for instance.

I must admit it makes me cringe when people refer to us as Bristol. I find it very disrespectful and ignorant, not only to City but also Rovers. Now, if there was only one club in Bristol it would be acceptable but there aint.

Do you say that you support Bristol or do you say you support Bristol City?

As mentioned, the next time I speak to a Man Utd fan. I'm going to refer to them as Manchester. Wonder what reaction I'll get? :rolleyes:

Nibor of course people call Norwich and Birmingham by their first name thats because there is NO OTHER club with the same first name. Funnily enough people also call Stoke City just Stoke and I have no problem with that but I would have if say Port Vale were called Stoke Rovers!

People are dissing you and you cant see it! If not, as I say, why are Rovers also referred to as just Bristol?

Mike

Nobody is getting dissed at all...I'm sure that when the likes of Derby (on a previous thread) refer to us as Bristol, you can be sure it isnt because we may take offence....no, its because they don't remember that Bristol also has a minnow club called Bristol Rovers. That is what I was trying to say from the offset.

That is why I am becoming more passive about the fact

Nibor of course people call Norwich and Birmingham by their first name thats because there is NO OTHER club with the same first name.

They call them that because the full name of the club is a mouthful and they don't care to say the whole thing as long as their meaning is understood. You won't find many Norwich City fans calling themselves Norwich and ditto Brum. There's no disrespect intended.

Funnily enough people also call Stoke City just Stoke and I have no problem with that but I would have if say Port Vale were called Stoke Rovers!

Mike

They're referred to as Bristol for exactly the same reason and why anybody gives a shit about it is beyond me. It's not like anyone could actually confuse the two clubs, we're light years apart.

Nobody is getting dissed at all...I'm sure that when the likes of Derby (on a previous thread) refer to us as Bristol, you can be sure it isnt because we may take offence....no, its because they don't remember that Bristol also has a minnow club called Bristol Rovers. That is what I was trying to say from the offset.

That is why I am becoming more passive about the fact

Thats right, and that would explain why the Carlisle fans at the weekend were calling Rovers "Bristol" and Leeds fans in their preview of the season are calling Rovers "Bristol" because they don't remember that Bristol also has a minnow club called Bristol City. Rovers, City it makes no difference both are minnow and insignificant to the people who call them both Bristol!

Mike

They call them that because the full name of the club is a mouthful and they don't care to say the whole thing as long as their meaning is understood. You won't find many Norwich City fans calling themselves Norwich and ditto Brum. There's no disrespect intended.

They're referred to as Bristol for exactly the same reason and why anybody gives a shit about it is beyond me. It's not like anyone could actually confuse the two clubs, we're light years apart.

Nibor. This is where you are seeing things through the eyes of a local and coming to the mistaken conclusion that everyone knows what you know. I can guarantee you that if you asked many fans of clubs in the championship or league 1 which Bristol club were in the same division as their team they would come up with the wrong answer. As for fans of the top Premier League clubs such as "Manchester" well they wouldn't have a clue which team played in which division or who played in Blue or Red!

Mike

Nibor. This is where you are seeing things through the eyes of a local and coming to the mistaken conclusion that everyone knows what you know. I can guarantee you that if you asked many fans of clubs in the championship or league 1 which Bristol club were in the same division as their team they would come up with the wrong answer. As for fans of the top Premier League clubs such as "Manchester" well they wouldn't have a clue which team played in which division or who played in Blue or Red!

Mike

Mick. I think you talk a lot of sense and I think some on here are a bit deluded to think that being called BRISTOL represents that City are the only team in Bristol and that no one counts the Sags. Rovers get called Bristol as well by other teams supporter!! It doesnt matter to them and they don't care.

The truth in the matter is that most people outside Bristol do not know the difference between the two Bristol clubs and could not tell you who is the more of the successful two teams. I've worked with the same people for over a year, i talk about City all the time, I wear my City shirt, i have a City mug etc etc but they still ask me how Bristol Rovers got on at the weekend to which I have to quickly correct them.

We are Bristol City, not BRISTOL, and unless the Gas become extinct, then maybe, just maybe will BRISTOL be accepted by myself.

It's got nothing to do with being a local. I work all over the country and in many conversations about football I've never ever heard any genuine football fan confuse us with the blue few.

There's not a team in the league that I'm unsure of what division they're in and I daresay that's the same for anybody who watches Soccer Saturday.

When someone says "Bristol" there is absolutely no disrespect intended it's just laziness, and even if it was an intentional slight I couldn't really give a monkey's about the opinion of the sort of premiershite watching glory boy who hasn't been inside a ground since 1990.

IMO, a true footy fan knows each footy league team, their nickname, the league they're in and the name of their stadium...

No excuses people!

:icecream:

Well said mind you i don't get as angry as i used to when i hear us refered to as Bristol but that has more to do with the fact that we are doing better of late not because some lazy asrsed journo doesnt want to acknowledge the fact that there is a difference between the two clubs.

So even though i can sort of see where Garlicbread is coming from, i think overall I'm just used to the fact that they( being journo's.) will not change now and start to call us Bristol City any more than they will call the gas Bristol Rovers. It's all just detail to them.

I'm annoyed when the media especially just call us "Bristol" but it's not a big deal. However, I thought Coventry were really taking the P when they had us as "BRISTOL" on their big whopper of a scoreboard. That's unacceptable.

I hate it...always think it's laziness or the press/whoever not knowing about our club. Afterall you rarely hear either Manchester team called just Manchester...apart from when that Portuguese lad talks about the 'club he loves'.

However...when we are called Bristol it makes me smile aswell as angering me as it shows the sags are sh1te!!

Doesn't really bother me, as its usually only done within a certain context eg: Derby fans on their site as they are playing us next. They probably would not do it if (god forbid!) we were in the same division as our poor neighbours.

I see it in the press but usually when the write up has been headed by the result or our full name mentioned before in the article.

What really gets to me is when Sky and others talk about "United" or "Rangers" and put in on the breaking news strip.

When anyone mentions them to me like that, I ask if they are talking about Newcastle, Carlisle or Peterborough or QPR (who are probably now bigger and better than the Glasgow lot!)

As long as they don't think we are in Wales I really don't care!

Archived